Hank_S 04-Sep-22
KHunter 04-Sep-22
goelk 06-Sep-22
ithunter 06-Sep-22
goelk 06-Sep-22
goelk 06-Sep-22
Jaquomo 14-Sep-22
04-Sep-22
Total BS that a private owner hunting elk on public land and chase them to his private property and go hunt there. My brother talked with them and they have OTC tags. Ok i m confuse. My understanding i though ranchers applied for tags and hunt on there private property. Do they have to applied for tags or not. Can they charge people to hunt on there property and they hunt on both private and public. Well anyway just really sucks!

04-Sep-22
Ok I did some reach , Colorado issues two types of landowner tags: unit-wide and private-land only. The unit-wide tag gives the hunter access to hunt on the private property for which the tag was issued, but also allows the hunter the privilege of hunting all public land in that unit.

These landowner tags must be drawn by landowners through a special landowner lottery draw which takes place each year. However, landowners are not guaranteed a set number of tags each year, the luck of the draw applies to them just as much as hunters in the Colorado general draw. Also, the qualifications are more strict: landowners must have at least 160 continuous deeded acres that are also used by wildlife or must posses an agricultural cropland. What happens if the unit is OTC for elk ?

04-Sep-22
Anyone can buy OTC tags. Landowners can apply for landowner tags and the same limited tags we all apply for and buy OTC tags just like anyone else.

If the unit is OTC there aren't any land owner tags.

04-Sep-22
Might be considered hunter harassment driving elk off of public onto private

04-Sep-22
I thought that the landowner draw voucher program was only for units that are completely draw units...no OTC.

04-Sep-22
I’m not totally clear what the OP is griping about how they got the tags or herding elk from public to pvt.

and if this was observed who was it and where

06-Sep-22
Ok let me clear my point. They did not herd the elk they just so happen ran to his property after they were stalking them and blew them out. What was interesting was the wind was all wrong for a stalk. My brother was coming from other direction with the wind in his face. He ran into them as they were crossing the fence . You can take it for what's its worth. I'm griping cause his property is blocking access to BLM land we cannot reach . Ya he can hunt where ever he wants . Just stinks

06-Sep-22
As a DIY-only hunter, I agree; it always stinks when private ground blocks BLM/state/NF...the balance of the post sounds like sour grapes. They have an OTC tag like "everyone else," but they can hunt private, and it just so happens it's their land. Reverse the role with you as a land owner...and a blown stalk bumps an animal onto your land, is there still an issue?

06-Sep-22
yes i would not hunt public land if i own hundreds of acres. knowing that i would bump animals to my private land. i would rather have public have the chance and if they bump the animals to private.

06-Sep-22
everybody as a right to hunt public land i get that . Well i hope everyone good luck this year and shoot straight.

14-Sep-22
I watched an outfitter/land owner's hands herd elk from a big state trust area back onto their ranch before the season a few years ago. They rode ATVs and horses, and pushed a herd of about 100 across the fence. I got to a phone and reported them, and was told they needed to be caught in the act or they could claim they were just "working cattle". Yes it happens.

In the OPs case, sounds like they were just bad hunters hunting badly, which seems to be the norm these days..

• Sitka Gear