UPSTATE 26-Sep-22
Squash 28-Sep-22
Denali 12-Oct-22
petcontain 13-Oct-22
scentman 14-Oct-22
Pat Lefemine 14-Oct-22
15-Sep-22

Pat Lefemine's Link
New York takes the top spot for the worst deer program in the country.

16-Sep-22
Not surprised!

16-Sep-22

17-Sep-22
Ha what a crappy article the author picks all northeast states. Funny how MA wasn’t as bad as NY as our harvest and population is low. We do have some real nice bucks though.

18-Sep-22
While there is no way I am going to defend the DEC or it’s deer management the article is ridiculous. It seems their main complaint is hunter numbers or density. Sounds like the authors are selfishly looking at “quality” as what is good for them as opposed for what is best for the sport . Anyone that doesn’t encourage our sport to grow in participation does not realize that declining participation will doom all shooting sports. Outdoor writing in general has outpaced government wildlife management programs in the decline in quality.

18-Sep-22
I love hunting NY. The unlimited doe tags in my unit gives me endless opportunities to get out in a target rich environment and hunt does 12 months a year. If it’s trophy bucks you’re after that’s a different story but my passion for being out in the woods bowhunting outweighs my drive to trophy hunt. If it happens so be it but the thrill is still there for me when a doe walks into range and bloodtrailing, butchering, donating is enjoyed just as much although as I get older its a bit more of a chore dragging deer out of the woods.

19-Sep-22
So, the organization that compiled that list is the National Deer Association or NDA. They came into fruition when The Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA) and The National Deer Alliance (NDA) merged. What is extremely surprising to me is that just last year, the NDA gave our very own NYS-DEC it's "Agency of the Year" award. Makes ya go "HUH?"

20-Sep-22
Yeah, that NADA award was ridiculous at best.

I have been visiting with my neighbors and they all agreed that deer hunting in these parts has become dreadful. I’m literally surrounded by 3k acres of private, low pressure properties and the largest buck I have this year is estimated to be 60 inches.

I guarantee all 3 will be killed. Not by me.

20-Sep-22
Yeah, that NADA award was ridiculous at best.

I have been visiting with my neighbors and they all agreed that deer hunting in these parts has become dreadful. I’m literally surrounded by 3k acres of private, low pressure properties and the largest buck I have this year is estimated to be 60 inches.

I guarantee all 3 will be killed. Not by me.

21-Sep-22

26-Sep-22
"the Empire State ranks third in hunter density nationwide, behind only Texas (770,717), Pennsylvania (663,000), and Wisconsin (620,888) with 588,054" Doesn't that make us 4th? To many hunters on small tracks of land, gun season is to early and to long: everybody gets 2 bucks if they bowhunt. How am I doing so far

28-Sep-22

12-Oct-22
Upstate , that makes us #4 in hunter numbers. Density is hunters per square mile.....which there are a lot of in TX. NY doesn't suck, we just have a lot of pressure for a limited resource. It is the biggest barrier when you consider how many opinions you have to manage. In regard to the NDA, they are not a positive influence on the future of deer hunting or management. They are ignoring the concept that access to the resource is essential to keep public support for hunting. They are a classic example of "Sometimes I cannot hear what you say because your actions speak so loudly".

13-Oct-22
IMO the Bucks are here they are just smarter than the hunters hunting them.

14-Oct-22
petcontain, I agree with your assessment... in one square mile where I live and hunt are 20 hunters that hit the same stands at least 3 times a week starting October 1st... I watch from afar and have to shake my head, as the true big bucks usually die by vehicles during the rut... go figure.

14-Oct-22
Sure, there's bucks in NY. The problem is it's almost entirely 1.5 and 2.5 year olds. NY has terrible age structure. It's almost impossible for NY bucks to survive until 3.5. Young bucks are dumb, and careless, and they get shot before they can realize any potential.

NY should have one buck tag that's good for the entire season. They should shorten the firearms seasons, and continue to educate hunters to consider letting immature bucks walk. Unfortunately NY bases their deer program on politics, they don't manage it for a healthy, balanced deer herd.

• Sitka Gear