Camp Whack-a-doe is OPEN

21-Sep-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Registering hunters

21-Sep-22
Good luck to all and have a great time.

21-Sep-22
Thanks Steve! 40 hunters registered and ready to go! Now if the rain will just hold off a bit in the AM..............

22-Sep-22
Good luck to everyone. Keep us posted Rut. Be safe!!

22-Sep-22
Thanks Brian- will do! Got the coffee going at 4 and checked the weather - radar looked like a band was going to hit right around daybreak. But some are going out .................looks worse to the North.

Will update as I can. Gonna miss the evening hunts the next 2 days due to tennis match and family day at daughter’s college. But I’m sure I will get text updates to pass along.

22-Sep-22
6:14 two hunters came back for coffee. Got to their farm this morning and skies opened up as they pulled in- they just turned around and came back. Of course no rain at camp yet.

22-Sep-22
Good luck to. Stay safe.

22-Sep-22
Good luck everyone!

22-Sep-22
THANKS guys!

9:09 report of one deer shot and recovered. Waiting for it to come into camp to get weighed.

22-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Our official 5c tracking dog
Smoke's embedded Photo
Our official 5c tracking dog
We try to make the 5c deer hunt better every year. This year we’ve brought in our own tracking dog (just kidding folks). She is cute though!

22-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Smoke's embedded Photo

Smoke's Link
Looks like Toren is first on the leader board! Way to go Toren!

22-Sep-22

Smoke's Link

22-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Smoke's embedded Photo
UBP President Sam Nelson recapping the story of his successful deer hunt! Nice job Sam

22-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Smoke's embedded Photo
UBP President Sam Nelson recapping the story of his successful deer hunt! Nice job Sam

22-Sep-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
2 officially on the board

22-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Toren and Sam - Day 1 morning hunt was a success
Smoke's embedded Photo
Toren and Sam - Day 1 morning hunt was a success

22-Sep-22
Good job guys! Good start to the hunt!

22-Sep-22
Hey Rut. Are those the new “snake crocs” you are sporting?

22-Sep-22
WOW, Sam got a big deer and , well, Toren must be a good shot. LOL.

22-Sep-22
LOL Brian! Yes- the new “Hecs” snake Crocs that emit an electro-magnetic field hat repels snakes! The very latest in snake protection. I am “field testing” them! ;-)

Yes- Sam said it was a heck of a drag. Toren not so much! ;-). But everybody complimented him on his shooting ability! And I complimented him on his decision to shoot and reminded him what the farmers say: “IF IT HAS A MOUTH..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SHOOT IT! : )

22-Sep-22
My daughter’s tennis match at Alvernia college got cancelled about 5 minutes after I left camp, so I rerouted to the farm my 2 partners are hunting.(had a feelling ;-) I got there a little late so I’m set up in the corn across from the woodlot they are in. Hopefully if any get by them I can intercept them entering the corn.

22-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Smoke's embedded Photo
Toren’s second doe of the day and Matt took out a groundhog. Congrats guys and great shooting!

22-Sep-22
Good job guys!

22-Sep-22
Despite a rainy morning followed by heavy winds in the afternoon, we wrapped up Day 1 of the 2022 5C hunt with 3 doe (and a ground hog). Heavy winds are predicted for Friday, but we will be back at it at first light.

22-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Day 1 - some of our youth hunters joined us tonight
Smoke's embedded Photo
Day 1 - some of our youth hunters joined us tonight

22-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Day 1 - post hunt gathering
Smoke's embedded Photo
Day 1 - post hunt gathering

22-Sep-22
Good job folks! Toren- you need to get another tag! : )

Dan saw the only 3 deer spotted on our property this evening.......................3 small BUCK! : ( They stayed in the woods. One more morning sit and then we will make adjustments if needed! Gotta get some sleep!

23-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Day 2 - Doe #4
Smoke's embedded Photo
Day 2 - Doe #4
Rob put deer #4 on the ground this morning. Dropping 4 deer off at the Hunters Sharing the Harvest butcher this afternoon.

23-Sep-22
Way to go Rob! 4 deer on the board and all 4 being donated to HSH.................that’s what we like to see- THANKS guys! : )

It was VERY windy this morning! My partners both saw deer but nothing in range. I heard one of the hunters had their bow blow out of the tree and break. They are going home to get another bow.

Hopefully the wind dies down tonight.

23-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Smoke's embedded Photo
It’s a good omen when the farmer sends you a map with the deer travel lanes marked in RED.

23-Sep-22
LOL! That’s great! : )

23-Sep-22
That’s like 5D hunting!

My kinda place

23-Sep-22
Go get them.. No doe is too small, no wind is too strong, they issue all of those tags for a reason..

23-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Matt’s 5C doe from day 2. Another one off to the HSH Butcher.
Smoke's embedded Photo
Matt’s 5C doe from day 2. Another one off to the HSH Butcher.
We’ve got reports of at least 4 more from the Day 2 evening hunt.

23-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Mike’s day 2 doe
Smoke's embedded Photo
Mike’s day 2 doe
Mike’s biggest doe at our 5c hunt and the new leader in our biggest doe contest @ 104.5 pounds.

23-Sep-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Very generous hunters this year!

23-Sep-22
At the end of Day 2 we have 8 doe harvested and all 8 have been donated to the hunters sharing the harvest program.

Great job everyone!

24-Sep-22
Nice work!

24-Sep-22
Thanks Steve!

4:30 coffee pot issues! Had to bring the old one back into service.

Weather is great though- clear and cold! Hopefully we can put a bunch down this morning!

24-Sep-22
Way to go guys. Keep it up.

24-Sep-22
Nice shirt Mike Faust. I have the hat to go with it.

24-Sep-22
They don’t make the coffee pots like they used to Rut. Good luck guys. It’s crisp and cool this morning down here in 5D, finally feels like fall. Stack em up like cord wood.

24-Sep-22
Awesome

24-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Day 3 - good morning everyone!
Smoke's embedded Photo

24-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Smoke's embedded Photo

24-Sep-22
THANKS GUYS!

I’m hunting a different woodlot at the landowner’s request. Bob and Dan are in the same spots as Thursday/Friday. Bob had one come in and bed 10y behind him in brush. It finally got up and Bob put her back down!

I had 3 deer just inside woods so I stopped there and picked a tree. Hopefully didn’t push them too far and they come back eventually!

24-Sep-22
I have been enjoying the thread. Keep on a whacking!

24-Sep-22
Always enjoy this thread every year, good luck , shoot straight...

24-Sep-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Bob’s was the only deer brought into camp this morning. So we’re gonna have to swing for the fences tonight!

24-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Mid-day Prepping for the Pig Roast tonight.
Smoke's embedded Photo
Mid-day Prepping for the Pig Roast tonight.
A little corn husking and then back out to stand for the final hunt.

24-Sep-22
Just confirmed that one of our first time 5c hunt participants just connected. We’re in double digits again this year!

24-Sep-22
Just confirmed that one of our first time 5c hunt participants just connected. We’re in double digits again this year!

24-Sep-22
Looks like it’s gonna be a late night. Got lots of reports of deer down coming in.

24-Sep-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Sorry folks, it was a hectic last couple hours! I got a text that somebody needed help tracking/dragging 2 deer on a nearby property. So we enlisted the help of a couple other guys nearby and sent in the cavalry. Always gets exciting when we get those calls. By the time we got there the landowner saw us driving in and asked if they got one. We said: “No-2!” The landowner was thrilled and opened 2 gates for us and we drove right to the deer and thru them on a hitch hauler. The hunters were grateful for the help and thanked us profusely! I just said- THAT’S WHAT WE DO! Just glad to add to the totals!

24-Sep-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
So final tally tied the record for deer shot at 15 and due to some VERY generous hunters we smashed the record for deer donated to HSH with 15!

24-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Saturday night pig roast
Smoke's embedded Photo
Saturday night pig roast

24-Sep-22

24-Sep-22
We had 58 hunters and 18 of them were newcomers. So we actually shot the same total number of deer (15) as last year with 9 less hunters. Good job folks!

25-Sep-22
Great job to all the Hunters. Great job to all those who put this event on every year. HSH is always in need of donations.

25-Sep-22
Thanks Brian. It was amazing to see how generous folks were this year! Our previous record was 9 deer donated- so 15 is amazing! And we will also be making our usual $500 monetary donation(from the registration fees) so HSH should be very happy!

According to the HSH calculation we just donated enough meat for approximately 1500 meals- WOW!

25-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Mike Foust - 2022 Big Momma - 105.4 pounds
Smoke's embedded Photo
Mike Foust - 2022 Big Momma - 105.4 pounds
Mike Foust was the recipient of this year’s big momma award; she tipped the scales at 105.4 pounds. Way to go Mike!

25-Sep-22

Smoke's embedded Photo
Matt Miller - 2022 Verminator
Smoke's embedded Photo
Matt Miller - 2022 Verminator
Matt Miller won this years “Verminator” award with his 12 1/2 pound groundhog!

25-Sep-22
Way to go everyone. As always, a lot of great sports out there. Congrats to the award winners and successful hunters. Good job crew.

25-Sep-22
Great job guys. Great results, and thanks for putting an event like this on, not only for the landowners but for the UBP and it's continuing effort to thin the herds on the SRA's. Excellent.

25-Sep-22
Great job everyone, well done!! Love following along every year. Sounds like a great event.

25-Sep-22
Way to go everyone!!

25-Sep-22
Thank you 5C Hunt Committee!! I enjoy this hunt each year, and catching up, if even briefly, with everyone! It was tough hunting with that wind, but Saturday was the day. I didn't get to draw my bow, but Amy was able to put one in the cooler last night. Congrat's to her!! I am very tired tonight, but full of anticipation for this deer season. Best of luck to all of you!

26-Sep-22
Congratulations to all the successful hunters this weekend! Well done! Sorry I couldn’t be there to share the experience this year. Thanks for all who posted the updates so those who couldn’t be there could still follow along. Good luck to all in the upcoming regular season!

26-Sep-22
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I told the guys on the committee it is a LOT of work to put this on every year, but when you see what can be done when good groups of people come together for a common goal, it is simply amazing! All the good will that is generated from this event- from the cooperating landowners, the hunters, the local HSH butchers and the food banks.....................it puts a smile on my face that lasts for days every year! : )

Thanks to all the hunters, landowners, butchers and HSH for making this happen!

And thanks to those who helped with setup and tear down of camp and cleanup after the pig roast!

And I hope everyone has a successful season as the 5C Hunt this year!

• Sitka Gear