Mav5 05-Oct-22
Knothead 07-Oct-22
Aspen Ghost 09-Oct-22
Windwalker 06-Nov-22
Knothead 20-Nov-22
hunter 26-Nov-22
hunter 26-Nov-22
25-Sep-22
Hello, I'm an AZ guy who has never hunted eastern whitetails. As far as deer go, I have only hunted mule deer and our desert Coues whitetails. Out here the Coues deer start to show some rutting behavior at end of December but really don't go into full rut until around Jan. 10th and later. My daughter and her family just got stationed in Nebraska at Offutt Airbase. We are probably going to visit them the week of Thanksgiving Nov. 19-27. This means I might have a chance to hunt 2-3 days while I am there. My questions are: will the rut still be going on in the eastern part of the state? How long do most guys sit in a stand or blind in morning & evening? Is there public land around Omaha where a NR might have a chance at a buck? Thanks for any replies or PM's

28-Sep-22
I am from central NE (not eastern) but I will attempt to answer some of your questions. When you will be here, the rut will generally be over. A few doe may come into estrus at that time, but those likely will be far and few in between. Most bucks at this time are beginning to concentrate on food sources again. I would hunt in between food sources and bedding cover if you can find that scenario. I would avoid mid-day hunts and you likely will not see a lot of activity in the a.m. as you probably are not going to figure out entry routes that do not further disturb deer after the "orange army" has left. I would be in the stand 2 1/2 hours before sunset and at least 1/2 hour before sunrise. In the a.m., hunt 30 minutes after the last deer you saw or 9:30 a.m. which ever comes later. I am not knowledgeable about public land in that area. Good luck.

05-Oct-22
Go to outdoornebraska.org and then to maps tab. There is an online public lands atlas that will show you all the public land in that area. There's not much in that general area.

07-Oct-22
Thanks for comments and information. I welcome them all.

09-Oct-22
Rifle season is Nov 12 through 20th. Public land gets hammered. Combined with the rut being pretty much over it becomes very challenging to find deer on public land after the rifle season. Not saying it can't be done. It just won't be easy.

Sit all day if you can stand it. There will be bird hunters in the field that will push deer around so you never know when one will come by.

06-Nov-22
If you hunt; let us know about your experience in Nebraska.

20-Nov-22
Instead of being there from Saturday to Saturday we had to change travel dates from Tuesday to Saturday so it doesn't look like I will have time to get out and do any hunting. If I can get a way for a few hours on Wednesday or Friday, I was going to go and check out a few areas. Thanks for the help fellas.

26-Nov-22
your wrong osceola,the rut,lolol,is not over

26-Nov-22
your wrong osceola,the rut,lolol,is not over

• Sitka Gear