Orion 16-Oct-22
cnelk 16-Oct-22
Glunt@work 17-Oct-22
Glunt@work 17-Oct-22
16-Oct-22

CO Oak's embedded Photo
CO Oak's embedded Photo
The rule-making notice for the November Commission meeting says:

Open for final consideration of the following: • Modifying the limited license application and drawing allocation processes for deer, elk, pronghorn and bear to include a rolling three-year average for licenses requiring ten or more preference points.

Currently the 80/20 units are those that took 6 or more resident preference points to draw way back when they calculated it for the years 2009-2011. They are proposing to change that to those that now take 10 or more resident preference points to draw over a three-year rolling average (previous three years). The three-year rolling average is good and will eventually result in more licenses.

However, by increasing the preference point level to those hunt codes that took 10 or more resident points to draw over the last 3 years, residents will only gain 53 additional deer licenses and will lose 200 elk licenses to non-residents. The photo shows the graph of data the commission used to make this decision. By their analysis, this will result in a "slight revenue gain," as there would be more elk licenses issued to NR. Meanwhile, the wildlife side of CPW had a $52 million revenue surplus the last FY.

Updating the hunt code list using the current 6+ PP criteria would result in 468 additional R deer licenses and 790 additional R elk licenses. Per the data above, this would result in a $75,000 loss of revenue.

16-Oct-22
CPW screwing residents again. Not only have they not adjusted it for over ten years now they are changing the point totals for tag allocations.

16-Oct-22
Email the Commission now and state your preference.

16-Oct-22
"Updating the hunt code list using the current 6+ PP criteria would result in 468 additional R deer licenses and 790 additional R elk licenses."

How many of these additional licenses would be archery? I think very few.

16-Oct-22
Jeff the key here is they would all be resident licenses.

16-Oct-22
Paul I already have, hopefully the CBA doesn't say "status quo" if they get a voice

16-Oct-22
Sorry but there ain’t no way in effin hell I’ll ever accumulate 10 PPs for elk in Colorado ever again. So many other better states to hunt

17-Oct-22

17-Oct-22
Any increase in the qualifying point level that results in less resident tags, even short-term, goes against the reasoning the 80/20 change exists.

Need to try and keep it at 6. I see a future in CO where it takes 6 points just to draw what's currently a plain Jane hunt code for elk.

• Sitka Gear