be still 15-Jan-23
bentstick54 16-Jan-23
crestedbutte 16-Jan-23
crestedbutte 16-Jan-23
cherney12 17-Jan-23
Thornton 17-Jan-23
06-Nov-22

crestedbutte's Link
Well it’s gonna be a fun year of hunting again. Last years journal and my Grand Osage WA “special hunt” and buck that was killed is linked. Same equipment being used and some of the same southern Flint Hills properties hunted. No Grand Osage WA hunt this year. Maybe next year?

06-Nov-22

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
My cabin located in valley where red arrow is pointing.
My cabin located in valley where red arrow is pointing.
Just beyond the river crossing we had to get up this snow covered hill. No go…had to unload everything on to ATV’s and make multiple trips up to cabin. Left the truck and trailer down by the river.
Just beyond the river crossing we had to get up this snow covered hill. No go…had to unload everything on to ATV’s and make multiple trips up to cabin. Left the truck and trailer down by the river.
Picnic table with almost 14” of snow.
Picnic table with almost 14” of snow.
Hunting for me started week before last in Colorado. We expected some snow but were welcomed with almost 14 inches on day one. Then two days later another foot of snow. Needless to say the animals all vacated the backcountry and thus we left a day before the next foot of snow was predicted to blow in. Figured it best to get going while the getting was good…or possibly be stranded back there. First time I have come back from CO without an animal. See the few related pic’s.

06-Nov-22
Looking forward to following along Jason. Good luck this season.

06-Nov-22
That's a good looking valley. I bet you see elk and everything else up there.

06-Nov-22
Brian...glad to have you along for the ride.

My first KS hunt was Saturday evening and sat at my "middle" stand that has a generational fence crossing (see 2021 Hunt Journal for specifics). At 5pm, I did some rattling and had this little guy come in. He didn't stick around for long. Later that evening, I rattled in a legit supper tall and super wide 170's 10-12pt. (even with a broken left G2) but he hung up in some thick brush about 60 yds. out until well after dark.

My buddy hunted that same "middle" stand tonight and rattled in a 160's clean ten point that gave him an easy 25 yd. broadside chip shot. The only problem is at that same moment the big buck I saw last night was also coming his way. So, he figured he would let the 160's go in hopes that the bigger buck would come and meet up with him and my buddy would get a shot at the big one. Well, the 160's crossed under the generational fence crossing and both bucks met up and just walked off the other way together. Just the way it goes sometimes.

06-Nov-22
JT…yep we see it all….elk, mule deer, bear and occasional Moose and all usually from the front deck. Haven’t seen a mountain lion yet and I am OK with that!

11-Nov-22
Here is the buck from my "middle" stand that overlooks the generational fence crossing. The tree stand is about 25 yds. away and to the right of this fence crossing. As noted above, my buddy was in the stand when this video was taken. The buck passed right by him in the open on his way to cross under the fence.

My buddy passed this buck up hoping the "bigger" buck that was coming in from another direction would give him a shot. As mentioned, it wasn't in the cards and so this buck and the "bigger" buck are still out there for the taking. I don't have the "bigger" buck on camera yet....but I sure hope to have him or this buck on camera this weekend....if you know what I mean!

11-Nov-22
I think "Generational fence crossing" would be a good name for the band

11-Nov-22
Baylor band?

11-Nov-22
Pretty sure I would have “settled” for the smaller buck lol. You know the old saying about 1 in the truck is worth 2 roaming the hills, or something like that. But then my challenge is with stick bows, or maybe just lower standards ??

12-Nov-22
I could see getting stranded in there for a long time with that much snow. How far in off pavement is the truck?

12-Nov-22
12 miles from pavement. Cabin sits at 9,400 elev.

12-Nov-22

Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Holy crap man...don't be that guy....(best movie ever)

12-Nov-22
Here in CT I had ny truck way in off pavement yesterday. 27 ft. Lol!!!

12-Nov-22
Maybe more of a WV Hillbilly style band?

15-Nov-22

My location looking West
My location looking West
View West
View West
View south across river
View south across river
Kyle…I am pretty sure that wasn’t water those Hillbillies were an offering up to those runners? I find it funny they were doing a roadside show for runners and bikers of which 80% of them never heard the comments or music due to what they were listening to on their air pods. What ya’ll running from?

On Saturday, with NW wind I hunted from the ground (facing West-see blue dot in aerial image above) at the timbered river bottom pinch point between the river (on South) and a thick fallow field (on North) where they are bedding this year. The field across the river to the south (my left) is harvested soybeans. Behind me to the east is timbered oak ridges along Flinthills prairie edge. I had the HUD positioned on my right side (to the north) between me and the fallow field, so I was downwind of the HUD during this NW wind event.

Bowsite is being a pain in the back side today when uploading pics…..I’ll just include some video footage instead. They should atleast come out right side up!

15-Nov-22
Come on Jason…get your act together. If a uneducated country boy like myself figures out how to post a pic surely a man like yourself with vast knowledge on seemingly everything should be able to get it done right. You keep trying real hard though and stay at it:?)

15-Nov-22
Mike...see your thread. No problems with posting pictures upright over there...for some reason glitchy on here today? Don't worry this country boy will survive!

15-Nov-22
The action Sat. morning started early. This small 8 came down the trail and very close but I didn't move when he looked right at me while on the ground only 10-15 yds away. He just went on his merry way and passed on my left side (downwind of me) between me and the river. He never smelled me as I had jammed his senses with the Scent Thief cover-up spray that I had put on liberally earlier that morning and so he only paused when he cut my wind....but thankfully never spooked.

15-Nov-22
Then later Sat. morning, I had this young'in come and visit the HUD. He circled it and came in downwind between me and the HUD. Had he been a shooter...he would have offered a very easy shot as he never looked my way....just continually stared intently in the direction of the deke.

15-Nov-22
Sunday morning, I went to my "south draw" stand and saw a few good 140's-150's class traveling bucks but nothing to get too excited over. Actually, this little fella provided the most excitement of the day. Again, had it been a shooter it would have been easy to draw and shoot.

15-Nov-22

While traveling home Sunday afternoon, I passed these guys. I was too afraid to follow behind them for very long for fear that their hitch-n-haul might collapse and come thru the grill of my Jeep?

15-Nov-22

16-Nov-22
Lol

16-Nov-22
Pulled a card from my timbered river bottom stand from aerial image in post above. Have a few decent ones running through this area. Time/Date stamp is wrong.

Young 13ptr.

Double G2 12 ptr.

11ptr.

Same 11ptr.

17-Nov-22
Some nice bucks Jason

30-Dec-22

Aerial of stand at “River Crossing”
Aerial of stand at “River Crossing”
Red dashed line is upper trail behind me that the 2 bucks walked
Red dashed line is upper trail behind me that the 2 bucks walked
View over my left shoulder
View over my left shoulder
View to my left
View to my left
Hadn’t really hunted much since my last hunt posted above on 11/16. I was out of state for Thanksgiving and always sit out and don’t hunt during gun season even though I know I can. Anyway, I was able to get back to it following the closing of gun season and got back up in a tree on Sun. 12/18.

I decided I would hunt another area of the nearby river bottom in a stand that I hung in early Oct. but have never hunted yet. The stand has good cover and a major low water crossing that connects my side (timber) with miles and miles of nearby AG fields.

That evening at 4:30, two bucks walked the high deer trail behind my stand. One was a 6ptr. and the other a decent 8-9ptr. I let’em walk hoping something bigger would follow. Only thing I saw the rest of that evening was 8 raccoons and 1 of the bald eagles that nest about 100 yds from my stand.

Pics included show aerial (river crossing and trails dashed in yellow and stand loc’n. as red “X”) and 360 deg. view from my stand (starting over my left shoulder and around to over my right shoulder) my right shoulder.

30-Dec-22

View out front
View out front
View out front to major river crossing across gravel bar under overhang of both trees
View out front to major river crossing across gravel bar under overhang of both trees
View out front to my right
View out front to my right

30-Dec-22

View to my right
View to my right
View over my right shoulder
View over my right shoulder

30-Dec-22
Stay tuned for report from yesterdays 12/29 hunt!

30-Dec-22
Can’t wait. I’ve been wondering where you’ve been.

30-Dec-22
I feel like this might br a fun read

30-Dec-22
Cool spot, hope you made a connection!

02-Jan-23
Boy it’s hard to keep these posts up to date when you are burning the mid-night oil and trying to fill your tag those last few days of December. Much respect to both Randy, Kyle and others that take us along (sometimes almost daily) with them on their hunts.

As promised, report from my 12/29 hunt is as follows: That AM, I went to the stand I call “MIDDLE” which you all have seen before that I have the trail camera nearby covering the generational fence crossing. Nothing spectacular to report other than at 7:30 a big white boned buck was hauling butt out of the prairie at first light to get down into this timbered draw and the protection it affords. He was moving too fast to get a bead on how many points he had but I was willing to participate in finding out. Anyway, he entered the timber about 150yds out of sight to my east. If he takes a right (west) he eventually comes down trail right under me or behind me. If goes left (east) I never see him. Well I never saw him again. Didn’t see a thing the rest of that AM hunt.

02-Jan-23

The HOLE
The HOLE
Deer trails shown in red
Deer trails shown in red
Front Left
Front Left
Front right
Front right
For the 12/29 PM hunt, I decided to hunt the “HOLE” which is a stand that I hung last year but hadn’t had a chance to hunt until that day! It is located in a quiet/remote hard to get to part of the property down in a deep bowl of a “prairie” canyon near the top end of a timbered finger that spurs off the nearby River corridor.

See aerial pic’s with deer trails and 360 deg views from the stand.

02-Jan-23

Right side
Right side
Lower right side with deer trail in red
Lower right side with deer trail in red
Deer trail in red and only shot opening behind me
Deer trail in red and only shot opening behind me
DP?
DP?
Oh…forgot to mention on this 12/29 PM hunt at “HOLE” didn’t see jack!!!

02-Jan-23
The red line is a good idea. Following and looking fwd to this

02-Jan-23
Yep, tell me more, tell me more. Still following Jason, good looking spots for sure.

02-Jan-23

What’s the horsepower of that thing?
What’s the horsepower of that thing?
ZZZzzzzzz?
ZZZzzzzzz?
Slight add on here:

Well I guess there was actually a few spectacular things to report from the 12/29 AM hunt mentioned above:

While in a nearby small town airing up my rear tire, “she” (not Erica) came riding right down Main St. Some folks are still liv’in the good life. Merica…gotta love it!

My mid-day napping spot. Anyone else (among us living) sleep like babies here but me? Not too sure about that driver, though? There was a big covey of quail (counted around 25 total) milling around the place to keep me company and of course whistle me to sleep.

02-Jan-23
I will definitely try napping there one day but not yet

02-Jan-23
I know those spots well!

02-Jan-23
Unless old enough to be losing compression, I’d say 1hp ;)

I’m with Catscratch, I’m hoping to wait awhile before napping there.

02-Jan-23
Brian….we’ll played!

02-Jan-23
Really good stuff here.

As long as it takes you we’re all going to be sleeping there before you get through with your hunts here. This is a whole like these so called TV series episode shows Erica watches. It just gets to a good spot and then….you got to wait till next week.

Come on now…get a little pep in your step and stop killing the grass:?)

02-Jan-23
I’m with be still man. Come on man.

02-Jan-23
We want to hear about the last day or 2!

05-Jan-23
Fri. 12/30 AM hunt, I decided to hunt 1 of my 2 River stands that are directly across from miles and miles of AG. The thought on hunting this area was that maybe I would atleast see more deer in this general locale than I had the previous day where I was located in the interior of the property and thus in more remote/quiet locations and not really close to AG in anyway. My thinking for hunting the interior remote spots first is that I thought the bucks might be holed up there since gun season had only concluded about 2.5 weeks before.

Well...I will say this the morning of 12/30 was one of the prettiest and quietest mornings in the KS woods that I can remember (maybe a little too quiet). I did indeed see more deer at this River/AG location. However, unfortunately they were all does and a few button bucks. See video of the "doe parade."

At the very beginning of the video, that is not me grunting...it is that first doe that comes into the frame. She also eventually see's my HUD on the open hillside to my left and doesn't quite know what to make of it. Near the end of the video (around the 5:37-5:45 mark) you can hear one of the pair of bald eagles that nests about 150 yds away from my stand doing its morning chirp in the background....it sounds a little like someone squeezing a dog toy.

Even though no bucks with antlers sighted on this hunt, it was an incredible morning in the KS woods and one I will soon not forget.

05-Jan-23
Fri. 12/30 PM hunt, I decided to go to the far south end of the property that I call "South Draw" which is a very long deep timbered draw that reaches way back into the prairie but is also connected at the other end to the River/AG area. It is a natural funnel for deer going to and from the prairie to bed and AG to feed. Per the video included, I was hoping I would see this guy that I had rattled in and passed (last year)....but he was a no show.

Actually....this 12/30 evening was just as pretty and quiet as the morning...all in all one of the prettiest/quietest total days of weather I have experienced in KS in a very long time. I did have (3) coyotes come through about 30 min. before dark and could have easily shot one of them that came up the creek right under and behind me....but decided I didn't want to fool with that stink'in thing as I try to close out my 2022 deer season. The only deer seen during this PM hunt were a few does which were actually pretty far off.

Stay tuned for the 12/31 hunt to follow!!! I think I was hearing the fat lady warming up!

05-Jan-23
Good thread!

05-Jan-23
Yep I’m a little impatient but it’s always worth the wait.

05-Jan-23
I’m going to die of old age 1st, lol. Come on Jason. We want an ending. Maybe pictures.

05-Jan-23
He's doing this on purpose ya know

06-Jan-23
I'm taking a blind stab at it....159 4/8

06-Jan-23
I knew I shouldn’t have checked this quick. Kyle is right…this is causing Jason to giggle and shiver with excitement with his hands clasped together.

Bowhunter I’m just hoping there’s a blood trail at the end here. You know if there is it’s just going to be a longer wait. First he’ll describe the hunt and then he’ll finally show the blood but then he’ll have us just staring at it for a couple days…just like last year:?)

06-Jan-23
He'll say he's been busy, but we all know it's a tease.

You know Jason... the longer you wait the bigger the buck has to be. It's like directly proportional graph; as time increases so does antler size.

06-Jan-23
My wife would love this thread.....foreplay you know....lmao!!!

06-Jan-23
Seriously trying to wrap this thread up but have been burning the candle at both ends lately.....working during the day and doing some predator control by night. Anyway, since we all love us some foreplay......let's play a game I call "Just The Tip."

Sat. 12/31 AM hunt. At about 6am that morning while driving thru my map dot of a nearby town (of which is very close to my heart) I roll up on some guy that looked barely human, cold, gaunt, tired and frankly broken from a long season of deer hunting up here in cold/windy KS. So, I say hey man...keep your chin up and jump in one of my stands for the last hurrah. He obliged and off we went! However, just about then we both look into the darkness and in the same direction.......as we both heard "it." A faint female voice in the distance like some Greek mythology lady siren calling out to us to follow her to our demise. Turns out it wasn't a siren....it was just the "fat lady" doing her morning warm up? Hell, after all it was Sat. 12/31!

So, after dropping my friend off to head toward his stand for the morning, I headed toward mine. I decided to hunt the "South Draw" again which per my post directly above I had hunted the evening before on Fri. 12/30 PM. This last morning 12/31 was more typical of KS hunting weather.....cold with a light breeze to it and not windless like the entire day before. At about 8:30, I had a small forkie come down the trail heading to his remote prairie bedding spot for the day. Then about 9am I look up above me at the top of the draw and see a deer skylined. I do a double take and see that it is a doe. However, it is the biggest doe I think I had ever seen. Now a doe won't typically make me dig out my bino's for better look but this doe was just dang BIG. I got the binos on her.....BUT....she wasn't a doe....BUT was a double dropped buck instead. My heart sank for him knowing that the antlerless season was just around the corner and someone shooting 300-400 yds. probably ain't gonna see his nubs. Not sure which buck he was of the many in this area but if body size is any indication, I hope he makes it!

See video attached of him heading down the hillside into the draw. You can see his dark nubs on his head.

For me that was all I saw. My hitch-hiking hunting partner saw a few deer that morning as well. I had high hopes that he would see one of the few monsters that had frequented the area but it wasn't meant to be that morning. I would have been thrilled if he would have connected. In the future, I hope we get another chance to share in some hunts. Later that morning, instead of joining me for the PM hunt he decided to end his 2022 KS deer season and get on back home. I think there were some sandwiches or something waiting for him back there? Anyway, at that moment I decided that for my final 12/31 PM hunt I would sit my "Middle Stand" (you know the one with the generational fence crossing nearby) instead of one of my other stands I had planned on hunting.

Just then....I heard that "fat lady" warming up with more vigor than before. Stay tuned for the finale 12/31 PM hunt!

07-Jan-23
Must...stop.....clicking

12-Jan-23
Well if you got one the meat has probably ruined by now.

12-Jan-23
Your attempt at a suspenseful delay isn't cool after a day or so.

15-Jan-23

Buck as he lay with stand in the background. Hope this pic. orients correctly?
Buck as he lay with stand in the background. Hope this pic. orients correctly?
Sat. 12/31 PM hunt. As mentioned in the 12/31 AM hunt in the post above, for this PM hunt I decided to hunt my "Middle" stand. I have killed more bucks out of this draw than just about anywhere else on the place as it is a long "deep" draw that creep's way back into the prairie which affords the deer cover, security and a place out of the cold wind. Anyway, after my hitch-hiking hunting partner started his journey back home and visiting with a friend in town, I headed to the ole faithful stand. The stand choice seemed like as good a call as any seeing how it would be my final deer hunt of the 2022 season.

The next few hours were pretty un-eventful....that is until about 4:00pm. I had just woken up from what I call my 100th 30 second nap (head nodding) when I look down the draw to the north and see something just moseying along my direction. It was still far enough away at the time that with the naked eye I wasn't sure if it was a brown calf or a deer. Bino's soon confirmed it was a buck and at the time I thought I might recognize him but wanted a better look to make sure he wasn't all busted up. As a he moved up the draw my way, I got the better look I was needing and confirmed that his right brow looked to be the only busted up point. No other bucks were following or trailing, so it appeared that he was flying solo.

I had hoped he would do as he has probably done most of his life and cross under the generational fence crossing and just come down the fence line for an easy chip shot. However, instead he decided to jump the fence downhill from the fence crossing...similar location that the buck from my 11/6 post above jumped over. Only problem is he didn't continue on the same path out in front of me like that one from 11/6 had done but instead did a hard left turn and headed to the dry creek bed beyond (approx. 50-60 yds. away) and followed it around and eventually to my right. The dry creek bed he was following eventually connects to the fence line on my right side, but it is very thick there and doesn't offer the best shot opportunities. A few minutes later, I hear but don't see him jump the fence. This is good because he is now back on the "stand side" of the fence.

It goes quiet for a few seconds and then I see him back in the timber (50 yds away) heading somewhat uphill perpendicular to me. I've had this happen on a number of other occasions....at this point if he heads left (east) I don't see him again unless I call him back to me and I wasn't planning on calling anyway as I figured the deer might be a little spooky after coming out of a long hunting season and especially following gun season. Therefore, if he heads right (west) he'll eventually come right to me, but it was going to have to be a "natural decision" on his part.

He takes a right. So, I am now up out of the seat, bow is off the hook and am trying to hit record on my I-phone to record the shot like I have done on other past hunts. I have practiced this movement so much that it has become very robotic for me mainly because my phone mount is on the right side of my bow in front of my quiver and requires reaching around the quiver to turn the phone on and then hit record and thus I have practiced doing it alot so my movement pulling this off is quick, clean and more importantly quiet. I'm tapping it......but it ain't coming on! DANG IT! So, I take my attention/focus away from the phone to get a new bead on the buck. He took a right.....he is coming! Oh well, no time to fool with the phone anymore but instead just focus on the buck.

Release is now locked in. Will he take the lower trail under my stand or the mid-hill trail that eventually leads him into a plum thicket that I cleared a shooting lane through a few years ago? Kind of hope he takes the lower trail as it is a much easier shot. Nope, he takes the higher trail that leads behind and over my right shoulder. As a right-handed shooter, I have to turn completely around in the stand and crouch a little to shoot to the cleared out plum thicket behind me. Just before he hits the opening.....this joker stops. He is listening, listening and looking ahead. I drew 5 seconds ago and am just holding...holding...holding. He then enters the plum thicket opening and I shoot him in mid-stride. If I can, I always try to stop them just prior to the shot (like the buck in the attached video below that I killed in a different location within this same draw a handful of years ago) but he was just too close and this time it just didn't register in my mind to stop him.

No doubt, the shot could have been better. Turned out to be high and a little back. Entered in just below his spine but must have nicked something (bone/artery or both) because he dropped to the ground immediately and tried to get up but couldn't and actually drug himself a few feet in my direction before he expired a few minutes later. Looking back now, I am somewhat grateful the video didn't work for this one because it wasn't the textbook shot or recovery.

Turns out, he was the buck in the trail camera video in my post above from 11/11. I still haven't pulled the card from that camera since my mid-Nov. retrieval of it that shows him crossing under the generational fence crossing and probably won't again until March-April. Hope to see a little more footage of him on there. I was able to get the phone working for a few minutes before it stopped working again and got a few snap shots of him as he lay. In the pic. from his tail end, you can see my deer stand in the background that looks like a large squirrel's nest with the dead oak leaves.

What ensued after that can only be classified as a Comedy of Errors.

Comedy Error #1: After tagging him and dragging him up to the prairie top above it was well past dark. Wished at that point I had brought my deer cart...but in all honesty I figured I would see a few deer that day but nothing worth shooting.

Comedy Error #2: So, after shedding all my camo and eventually dragging him up and out of this deep draw, I get to a place I can pull my jeep up to load him on the rear hitch-n-haul. So, I reach into my new pack (only 2 hunts old) for my knife.....and it ain't there! In my haste to transfer all my stuff from my old pack to a new pack it appears that I forgot it. So, I blanket my buck in my shrugged off camo's (mainly to keep the coyotes off him while I am gone) and off I go to the nearest town with a Wal-Mart.....40 min. round trip. Being New Year's eve, I am hoping they don't have limited hours. They were open, so I buy a new knife (one that I really don't need) but needed tonight in a big way.

I get back to the buck and during the round trip and back was able to charge the phone up just enough that I was able to put it on the front bumper of the jeep and get a photo with aid of the headlights.

Comedy Error #3: As I am leaving, I stop to get out and open the gate...it's just then that I realize that I left my bow up in the prairie where I had dragged and gutted the buck. Turns out that I missed driving over it by about 2.5' feet?

Didn't think I'd ever get home with this buck but was glad to have him even though I rang in the New Year with way more aches and pains than I had at any point during 2022 and that includes the snowy Colorado hunt in late Oct. Oh.....and the Fat Lady that was heard warming up her pipes earlier that day will just have to wait until late Dec. 2023. Can't wait to see what the 2023 season has in store!

15-Jan-23
Here he is from back in November.

15-Jan-23
Didn't break much brow tine! Congrats. Are you handing out cigarettes?

15-Jan-23
Congrats!

15-Jan-23
Great job and what a way to end the year, hope to see him in Manhattan.

15-Jan-23
Could’ve been a dream but that spot seems familiar like I’ve seen it before. Maybe showing kindness to the hitchhiker hunter paid off with getting rewarded on the last evening. Man you need to invite him back again:?)

Special stuff here. Good buck last year and another good one here…you just got the right stuff going on. Congrats on a dandy.

16-Jan-23
Great looking buck, and story. That’s taking it to the wire for sure. Congratulations.

16-Jan-23

Tried to include this aerial in the 12/31 hunt post above (for context) but it wouldn't take so had to put it in this separate post.

Red "X" = Stand Loc'n.

Yellow Dashed Line = Route of the buck.

Orange Arcs = Where buck jumped the fence.

Blue Circle = Where shot was taken.

16-Jan-23
DP

17-Jan-23
Nice congrats

17-Jan-23
Nice buck.

• Sitka Gear