soapdish 13-Nov-22
Bwhnt 13-Nov-22
BBB 13-Nov-22
nehunter 14-Nov-22
steve 14-Nov-22
Big Dog 14-Nov-22
Notme 14-Nov-22
12-Nov-22
Does anyone find themselves dwelling on their age when it comes to deer hunting ? Ya know , when you preface a sentence with " at my age" then go on to decry ,long drags, draw weight reduction, hikes to stands, all day sits, 2hr sits lol, the joys of the Xbow, and camo Depends. I think we sometimes talk ourselves out of the game and forget the power of positive thinking. I realize I'm not the man I used to be; but ,then again, I never was, LOL. In November let the child in you live.

12-Nov-22
BD - decline in desire "at my age"! When I first got into bow hunting I would climb steep ridges, walk 90 minutes to my stand, sit in my "home made" tree stand ALL DAY, and spend a ton of time in the woods in the off season scouting. I'd also be at Bristol F&G practicing with my recurve and going to Halls for tips and fine tuning every chance I got.

I'll be 72 in December, and now hunting is more of an escape; a time to clear my head and enjoy the woods. My stand locations are typically about 30 minutes in, and I'll hunt half the day. When I first started I would be telling myself, "I gotta get a deer!" Now I just say, "I think I'll go for a hunt."

BD - if you talk with my wife she'll tell you that she hates that I hunt alone and climb a tree "at my age". I considered myself physically healthy, so it's more a matter of a change in desire. I'd compare it to taking a pill to make your headache go away at 71 yrs old, rather than training for a triathlon at 25 . The former makes you feel better; and the latter is/was an obsession.

12-Nov-22

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/TNtIb8TrGnM

Never

12-Nov-22
Oh Notme, stay young my friend! Did I really say that to you?!

12-Nov-22
A young bull and an older bull are standing on top of a hill over looking a meadow full of cows..the young bull says" hey ,why don't we run down there and f**k a cow" ...the old bull replies," why don't we walk down and f**k them all"!!!

12-Nov-22
Man that guy is a honey badger....he doesn't give a ...

12-Nov-22
At 57. I often reflect 40 yrs worth of hunting, the ups and downs- I used to hike all over- now days I have to use a cane, cold weather effects my legs- and have to go in at short distance and hope for short blood trail and drag out to truck- with that said the desire still there and love to watch nature wake up in the mornings- best I can do-

12-Nov-22
I saw a guy from my club last week pull off the side of the entrance road to the club. I'm guessing that he's in his early to mid 80's. He got out of his car as I drove by. I figured he had to pee lol. As I drove out, he was sitting in a chair 20 yards in the woods with a no camo, headnet etc.... with a crossbow in his lap. I just smiled and wished him luck in my mind as I drove away

12-Nov-22
At 54 I suppose I am a geezer- in-waiting. One of the main reasons I exercise is so I can roam the woods in the fall. I am starting to accumulate geezer accoutrements like a heated vest. I study carts, sleds and extraction devices more closely and think about how I am going to get a deer out, before going in in the first place. I have adopted the gutless method and making several trips instead of attempting an epic drag. I seriously consider rescheduling dermatology visits so she can freeze concerning spots on my face to a time other than hunting season. I mix fiber into my protein shakes. I am able to take a whizz and produce mock scrapes more frequently… though closer to my feet and more slowly than prior. I wake up earlier, but consider a quick afternoon nap after being out. The love life is still good, but for the first time ever this season, I struggled to draw my 62 lb bow after sitting in the cold. I felt … impotent… as the buck stood there, broadside, a dozen yards away. I have started to lose hunting buddies who have moved on to the great hunting grounds. I appreciate each trip out more than in years past, knowing the friends I have lost probably never knew when their last hunt was. I appreciate and enjoy helping a kid catch a fish or looking back and seeing my son or a friend kill a deer more than getting one myself… although thats still fun. I also enjoy looking forward and draw inspiration when I read posts by the full fledged geezers on here who are still getting it done.

12-Nov-22
I will be 72 next week . I don’t hunt no wear what I used too .I am not that excited like I used to be . Once I am set up all good !!!! Still do a lot of things , ride motorcycles but stopped snowmobiling, body just can’t take the pounding . Changed to xbow just couldn’t pull my bow anymore. Have to have help dragging ! Only use ladder stands now . Guess I’m an old geezer Notme that’s one of my favorites!!!

12-Nov-22
N8, Big Dog's theory of relativity (Einstein , laugh your ass off)......"Every year I get younger; so, at the end I'll just be beginning".

12-Nov-22
I love these stories. I'm 51 and have been hunting since I was a young whipper snapper. I used to tag along with my father and uncle during deer season wearing blaze orange three sizes to big and I loved it. I still love to hunt but I am just as happy to be in the woods with nature.

12-Nov-22
BigDog - My wife claims I have a 3rd grade sense of humor so I must be getting younger...

I happen to have 2 laws of my own - N8's 1st Law - "Things always take more time than expected." N8's 2nd Law - "Things always end up costing more than expected." Whenever I am frustrated with a project, etc. I remind myself of the appropriate law and console myself that you can't change the laws of physics...

12-Nov-22
N8, you can't change Murphy's law either.LOL I find comfort in my recent low give -a- shit factor. I gave 100% to being a husband, parent and provider and now, if you'll excuse me, I'm on cruise control. It's my shining panoply against life's vicissitudes. Works for me !

12-Nov-22
God willing, I’ll turn 60 in a few weeks. I still love the outdoors, both hunting and fishing, but my recovery time is longer and things that used to be taken for granted now must be thought out before hand. I hope to be able to chase my passions as long as guys like Steve and Bob.

12-Nov-22
Im 62 I still hunt with my 63 lb compound,but the way I hunt has changed a lot.My favorite tree stands are my "old man stands" two of witch I can see my truck from the stand! I do a New Hampshire trip every year and it's always a work out.Im a better bowhunter now but I wish I had this knowledge with my younger body but that's not the way it goes!

12-Nov-22

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
It's time for me to get on the "Geezer" thread. Things have changed for me over the many years of bowhunting. I won't get up well before sunrise and hall a climbing stand into the woods in the dark to sit in a tree for an hour before work as I did when I was in my forties. In fact, I gave up climbing stands years ago. Too much of a pain in the ass! Hung my bow up a few years back and now hunt with a crossbow. All day sits are not for me - morning hunts or afternoon hunts. Now I mostly still hunt or take a ground stand for a while when still hunting. That's how I hunt here in Southeast Louisiana. Haven't been hunting yet this season here but will be out with a rifle soon looking for deer or a hog. I do miss tracking in NH and Maine and would love to do that again. My main outdoor pursuit living in LA now is fishing for Redfish and Speckled Trout from my kayak which I do about every other week. In fact, I caught a few really good Specks yesterday fishing in the Hopedale marsh. Just me and the gators. Turned 74 last week !

12-Nov-22
Agree - might have to make some changes but enjoy the hunt and all that comes with it. I often have friends on standby, as I am for them for the long drags. Think young and act young. Might modify some things but keep getting out there.

12-Nov-22
N8 - while reading your post I could see myself in your words,....especially the part making a mock scrape and afternoon nap. These days I prefer morning hunts, still drag my climbing stand in, get settled in before sunrise and stay for 3-4 hours. I'll use toe and hand warmers, no heated vest, and a large thermos of hot tomato basil soup. I still find interest in watching a squirrel, or a chickadee, and think that every sound is a huge buck coming my way.

I used to park on the dam south of the Colebrook River Lake, hike down the south side of the dam, up the ridge to a fire road, and then walk for another hour north to my stand location. I stopped there this summer and thought about that hike, and said to myself, "How I loved to hunt in that area, in that way. But today, never!"

Now my idea of the best way to spend a beautiful fall day is to take ride in the miata with the top down, my wife next to me, and stop for lunch and glass of good wine at the GW Tavern, or a cappuccino in Kent and maybe look for deer along the way. I'll save the cold days for hunting, the rainy days for napping and snowy days down hill skiing,

12-Nov-22
Stay after it Gene The Machine! 74 and still doing it!

12-Nov-22
I'm 57 and now that I've passed on some knowledge to my buddies, I'm the one following on the hikes in now instead of leading. I still carry summit Goliath climber everywhere I go, lowered my poundage on my Bear Compound from 70 to 63lbs. Yes I am more concerned now about how I'm getting a deer out of the woods so I bought a cart and hunt with my two, early something 40's buddies for the muscle. The cart, will be for me someday. I showed them how to strap me in....It's all about the knowledge for these young guns......

12-Nov-22
Goodness…..I think there’s websites for this kinda stuff…..

Likes - long walks on the beach, leaf peeping, wine tastings, cuddling under a warm blanket……

Dislikes - long walks in the woods, cold fingers and toes, dragging a deer any distance without a sled…

12-Nov-22
Lmfao!!!

12-Nov-22
Where do you find camo depends?..... asking for a friend

12-Nov-22
Really Blood?? Where are those sites?

13-Nov-22
dean ,great point..."too old too soon; too smart too late"

13-Nov-22

13-Nov-22
Agree with other post: at 67, reduced my bow from 63 to 55 pounds after a cold morning with a buck right in front of me and could not draw, and got a cross bow that I use when my shoulder is too sore. Always decide to bring my sled or cart today. Use a ramp to load deer in my vehicle, stands get moved after snow so I can use the sled. Hunting buddies have moved south…. But.. being retired I now can hunt when and as often as I want and still getting it done!

13-Nov-22
I'll be 61 Pearl Harbor Day. But I feel like I'm 40. I was feeling like shit at 55 and my Doc put me through so many tests to find out what's wrong. Well I had Hemochromatosis and very very low Testosterone. So low it's off the charts. After a Year of treatment the Hemo is stable and I'm taking T shots every week.

I lost 50+ pounds without trying and I'm in better shape than all my HS and college friends. The hunting part hasn't changed, I still hang Loc On stands with tree steps or strap on ladder's.

My 83 Year old Dad is with me in Kentucky, he's in excellent shape. Just switched to a crossbow only because he tore his bicep muscle. BTW - get yourself checked for low testosterone, you're wife will love it. Or in my case Hate It!!

13-Nov-22
Neugenix total T? It worked for Doug Flutie...?

13-Nov-22
nehunter - my wife will love what? I don't need to lose weight, so it can't that. I still have plenty of energy, so it can't be that. I still use a climbing stand, so it can't be that. Hmmm?

13-Nov-22
Bwhnt those commercials are just a gimmick. I get prescribed T and inject a needle 1" deep into my thigh. Another therapy is a cream applied to the armpits or under your kneecap.

BBB - sounds like you followed Doug Flutie's advise already!

13-Nov-22
Sounds like it's really working good for you that's awesome!

13-Nov-22
Nehunter: "I get prescribed T and inject a needle 1" deep into my thigh".

Fixed or mechanical needle?

13-Nov-22
How do they test for low T? Blood work?

13-Nov-22
yes

13-Nov-22
My 83 Year old Dad got one just now. His 62 Year old son (me) dragged it out.

13-Nov-22

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo

13-Nov-22

13-Nov-22
145 years of combined knowledge and experience are prime for geezerism.... congrats and God bless

13-Nov-22
Excellent!! Is that snow/ice on the ground? Didn't you say it was 80? All this in KY?

13-Nov-22
Tell your dad this young guy could learn a few things from him. I always love seeing the smiles, tells the whole story.

14-Nov-22
Yes Snow in Kentucky. 23 degrees out this morning.

He shot his first Archery Deer 1961 in Vermont.

14-Nov-22
Tell him congrats!!!

14-Nov-22
ne,congrats to your dad

14-Nov-22
Congrats to both!!!

• Sitka Gear