Contributors to this thread:
N8tureBoy 14-Nov-22
Blood 14-Nov-22
air leak 14-Nov-22
Bwhnt 14-Nov-22
spike78 14-Nov-22
14-Nov-22

N8tureBoy's Link
Interesting article about the lack of acorns in CT this year. Special guest appearance by Doc in this article!

14-Nov-22
It’s interesting that they say deer travel farther and walk around more when acorns are non existent. I feel the deer don’t move anywhere in the hardwoods - why would they?? They hunker down behind houses (grass and landscape) and green fields.

I have a theory on why harvest numbers go up during low acorn crop years. And it has nothing to do with deer movement. I think the deer are far more visible in fields and agricultural areas making them easier to shoot with a rifle/shotgun. Landowners will probably have an increased harvest rate. Mark it down now…..Gun harvest will far exceed archery this year.

14-Nov-22
X2 Blood.

My 2 prime spots are loaded with oak trees. The past few years with abundant acorns, I saw deer, killed deer, and passed on deer.

This season, I only saw deer on two occasions. But the large green field across the road is loaded with deer feeding, morning and dusk.

My large piece, I'm not finding any deer sign in the oaks.

My smaller spot is a pinch point on an oak flat. I may get lucky and catch one moving through.

14-Nov-22
I have a feeling there are some corn trees dropping nuts that the DEEP might not be aware of as well.

14-Nov-22
Yup I call BS as I always see more deer when we have acorns. I think this is due to my spots lacking fields and quality browse. The woods are way to mature here in MA with crap for understory and a lack of fields pushing deer to the houses.

• Sitka Gear