JohnNWCT 18-Nov-22
BBB 18-Nov-22
steve 18-Nov-22
8's or Better 19-Nov-22
Rackem 19-Nov-22
17-Nov-22

JohnNWCT's embedded Photo
So the recent road kill buck got me wondering about the bucks score and how he made it that big. Please understand, I'm no deer hunter. More of a waterfowler but I do enjoy a good sit in the deer woods, especially now with my oldest son that can deer hunt. Short and sweet, I'm curious about a buck I hunted for 5 years. I got him on camera in late aug. Years ago. He came to a mock scrape I made. I hunted him hard, knew his core area, and hunted smart. Never went in on a bad wind. I never saw him again after the trail cam pics. No pics after the first year, then he came back the year after. Massive. I made another mock scrape at the same spot as before, and he showed himself within 2 days of the last time...just 2 years later. Again, I hunted hard. Never got another trail cam pic or a sighting. It amazes me how these deer can disappear. It's been years since the last trail cam pics of him. I hope he didn't get poached. First pics... Daylight...were my first pictures of him. Next pictures was from 2 years later.

17-Nov-22

Next are 2 years later

17-Nov-22

17-Nov-22

17-Nov-22

17-Nov-22
Slammer!

18-Nov-22
What a monster, they hide in all kinds of little places..

18-Nov-22
That would join the group of "CT Big Buck Club". They get big racks through genes, food source, and age. The other thing to keep in mind that there are far more doe than bucks, so seeing a doe has much higher odds than seeing a buck that is only 10% of the deer population.

18-Nov-22
Jon got that one right - SLAMMER!

18-Nov-22
To bad he is dead ?? we had three monsters we never got , two we found dead and one just disappeared. One never daylighted after the season started . Smart !!!

18-Nov-22
If this guy is still alive, he is 18.5 years old, if the dates on the photos are correct.

18-Nov-22
Yeah, he's way dead by now. First pics were from Aug 24th, 2006. No sightings in 07. Other pics were Aug 28th, 2008. Not July. Still blows my mind I never once saw him again or got him on any cameras. I put in a crazy amount of time looking for his sheds too. Nothing. A true ghost.

18-Nov-22
Here's what the internet says about how far a buck will travel:

"In good habitat and a moderate climate it may be a relatively small area. In more severe climates a deer's home range may consist of summer and winter core areas that could be as much as ten to twenty miles apart."

18-Nov-22
We have some deer travel 4 to 5 miles on two different cameras. And cross major highway. But most stay a lot closer.

19-Nov-22
The yrs your deer travel 4-5 miles Steve are the yrs there are no acorns and they bounce back and forth from your massive corn piles

19-Nov-22
Great buck.

• Sitka Gear