montnatom 21-Nov-22
ROUGHCOUNTRY 23-Feb-23
ROUGHCOUNTRY 23-Feb-23
ROUGHCOUNTRY 23-Feb-23
steve 23-Feb-23
montnatom 01-Mar-23
SmokedTrout 13-Mar-23
20-Nov-22
Anyone have any advice on some good muzzleloader options that would be legal for the heritage season?

21-Nov-22
I have legacy .45 cal percussion and a hawkin .50 cal flintlock. Need to make sure it truly is a traditional muzzleloader, no inlines allowed.

23-Feb-23

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
I hadn't killed an elk this year and was pretty excited to hunt this new heritage season. However, I didn't have a muzzleloader and borrowed a .54 caliber Thompson Center. I found out that .54 caliber supplies are hard to find especially in MT.

I then traded my ex-father-in-law for a kit .50 caliber Thompson Center he'd built 50 years ago. The .50 caliber is pretty standard and the open sight percussion model should work perfectly.

It was dinged up from years of hunting and I decided to re-finish the stock with a thunderbird epoxy finish that my buddy uses to finish his custom longbows. It turned out great and I'm also going to do a cold re-blue of the barrel.

This heritage season may even be better than archery since competition should be low and you have the woods to yourself.

23-Feb-23

Stock removed, masked and sanded.

23-Feb-23

Final product with 2 coats of gloss and a final coat of textured matte finish........tough as nails.

23-Feb-23
That sure looks nice ! You did a great job. My 84 year old father from PA sent me his two Hawkins recently, both 50's one flinter, and the other a cap. Will be in the timber this fall with em !

01-Mar-23
nice job! I bought my three kids 50 cal muzzleloaders for Christmas. They love them and can't wait to hunt with them.

13-Mar-23
I shot my first elk with a TC 50 cal made from a kit. Two shots, the second was completely unnecessary. Those round balls just poke a big round hole in animals, the elk just stood there at 50 yards looking at me as I reloaded and shot him again.

Keep your powder dry!

• Sitka Gear