2Wild Bill 19-May-23
Bob 15-Jun-23
spike78 15-Jun-23
2Wild Bill 30-Jun-23
Notme 01-Jul-23
22-Nov-22

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
So I wanted to share a story with you guys. Can’t release all the info but at the end of the investigation I can and will do so. Last Saturday I sat in my tree that I’ve been hunting out of for 4 years now. It’s close to the border. Luckily I met the adjacent landowner a few years back. He asked if I ever get a deer that ends up on his property if I could ask him permission to get it. I said absolutely. The following year I killed a doe which ended up on his property. Of course I did the right thing and knocked on his door and asked permission. He allowed me to retrieve my deer. So as I’m sitting in my tree which this is the first time I’ve hunted this spot all year I see 3 dogs coming my way. I know it’s him immediately. He slowly makes his way to me. First words out of his mouth are where are you from. I’m confused as I know this guy and he knows me. I responded with Groton. He said what are you doing here go back. I was shocked. He continued to yell at me that I was to close to his border. I finally said sir you out of all people know what your doing is hunter harassment. He responded with I’m not harassing anyone I’m bird hunting. I said with no gun. He then stumbles his words and says he’s bird scouting. So I basically laughed at him. Never heard of bird scouting with 3 dogs running off leash but we will go with that was my reply. He then says and as a matter of fact I’m gonna pop off a few shots. I didn’t even respond. He started to walk away and I was relieved he was finally leaving. 5 minutes later I hear crashing through the woods. I look behind me and here he comes straight at me with a gun. I get on the phone with the wife and I’m like he’s coming straight at me with the gun. She’s trying to tell me to leave but I’m 25 feet up in the climber. Obviously not that easy. All the sudden the noise stops. I peak around the tree and there he is. 40 yards away from me with the barrel faced right at me up In the tree. I instantly try to hide back behind the tree and boom! The guy fired it at me. To be honest guys I’ve never been so scared. I was shaking like a leaf. He then made his way down his property line and then straight back at me. When he got about 15 yards from me he starts at me again. Yelling I’m breaking the law for not wearing orange. This was the 12th. I know my laws. I recorded the whole thing. He made his way behind me and sat there staring at me with the gun for a good 20 minutes. I had to get down, pack up all the whole this nut bag stares at me with a gun a few yards away trying to Intimidate me. Needless to say I went crashing through the woods to get out of there. After getting out I called deep right away. They showed up at my house. 4 hours later with a 13 page statement written. Can’t say too much more as it’s an open investigation but I hope this guy gets what’s coming to him. Be safe guys. We are sharing the woods with guys like this.

22-Nov-22
Wow, glad that your OK. Could have been worse.

Now, I'm not excusing his actions, but for him to act erratically, not recognize you, and come back with a shotgun, something is wrong.

He is elderly, and it's possible that dementia has started.

Again, I'm glad that this wasn't worse.

22-Nov-22
Shawn, sounds like you did the right thing. Stayed calm, recorded it. You didn’t confront him. We have rights as hunters to enjoy the woods. Hunter harassment is no joke. Glad you’re ok bud.

22-Nov-22
That is truly scary, glad you're ok. I have to agree with the suggestion of dementia, but he needs to be dealt with accordingly so he can get help to avoid future problems. If someone was approaching me with a gun after yelling at me, I would have been on the phone with 911, and telling them I will protect myself if he shoots at me.

22-Nov-22
Glad you’re ok ! Did you get a video of him with the gun ??? Is there enough property next to you to even big enough for a gun ???

22-Nov-22
Should've yelled out the guys name,it might of snapped him out of it..glad it didn't end up worse

22-Nov-22
Probably would have just called the police, they most likely would have arrested him on the spot.

22-Nov-22
He knew it was me. During his yelling he started ranting that a guy from Groton killed a deer on his property las year. I was like no it wasn’t last year it was the year before and it was me. I also knocked on your door for permission to retrieve it which you gave me. So he knew. And yes I definitely should of called the police.

22-Nov-22
Steve I got the whole thing on video besides when he shot at me. I called the wife as soon as I seen him coming back with the gun. She literally thought I got shot.

22-Nov-22
Glad you're ok

22-Nov-22
Dementia / Alzheimer immediately crossed my mind due to the 180-personality change. Your life was probably in danger.

22-Nov-22
He’s got a whole ton of charges coming. Kiss his firearms license/guns good bye. Harassment, intimidation, could go as far as attempted murder if it was intentionally fired at you in aggression. Ya he’s pretty screwed.

22-Nov-22
Shawn if I read this with no name , I knew it had to be you !!! Stay safe my friend!!!

22-Nov-22
You handled it the best way possible in the moment. Hindsight is always 20/20. Definitely should’ve called the cops and deep from the tree and not gotten down until they showed up.

22-Nov-22
I know Steve. Lol. Just can’t seem to win..:(

22-Nov-22
You were very lucky, and a sitting duck, up in a tree. Yet another reason to carry while bowhunting. A gun pointed at you doesn't care if the holder is criminal, crazy, kid or dementia patient. And a bow is no match for a loaded shotgun at close range. Glad you're ok.

22-Nov-22
Did you recover the empty shell for evidence?

22-Nov-22

Notme's Link
Maybe he just snapped?

22-Nov-22
Oh shit, Glad you ended up safe. That is no joke. Does sound like the old timer lost it a bit, still not right. You did the right thing recording it. I think I would have notched an arrow if he continued to shoot. Happy that you are safe. Keep us informed.

22-Nov-22
I think that was the first song at our wedding, very touching.

22-Nov-22
Grateful they went out the following day with a dog to search for it. I gave them the exact spot he shot from. She could not tell me whether or not the found it as it’s an open investigation. Rackem I’ll keep ya updated! Notme lol!

22-Nov-22
Wow!! What a scary situation! I’m glad you’re ok and I hope the authorities punish him to the fullest extent of the law, up to, and including, attempted murder.

23-Nov-22
Wow. So glad you are safe!

29-Nov-22
WOW! Glad you are OK. Seriously sounds like he has dementia or something else going on (no excuse to shoot at you)

29-Nov-22
"I’m confused as I know this guy and he knows me."

That is from two years ago as a brief exchange for permission to get your deer.

Had you said I'm the guy from Groton from two years ago, it could have helped his memory.

Three years ago, I was on private land where I had permission to hunt and stumbled into a neighboring landowner hunting from behind a tree with a gun. This guy routinely leaves his property to the east of mine and wanders as he pleases. He challenges me with," what are you doing on my land?" I said his name and it made him aware I had met him before and stated that I had permission to be there. He grumbled and sputtered to himself and left, heading back across my land to get to his house. Oh yeah, I had orange on, and he didn't.

I doubt the guy clearly heard you, but his actions are criminal, and I hope they nab him.

Glad you are OK. Must have been horrible for your wife to hear the shot.

I always message my GPS coordinates to my wife, asap, usually when settled into the stand, just in case.

17-Dec-22
Shawn, any update on this? Thanks.

17-Dec-22
Can really talk on active investigations. Doing so could hinder/ dismiss charges. He’s smart by not saying a word! This guy is in serious shit. I’m sure once it’s squared away he’ll be back on.

20-Dec-22
Too bad you didn't have a chance to give that dude a proper beating.

20-Dec-22
Nothing yet guys. Since I last posted deep has been at my house twice. Once to take a statement from my wife because she was on the phone and the other was to retrieve texts I had sent my wife saying he’s now coming back with a gun. Not sure how long these “investigations “ take but it sure does piss me off he’s still out there with his gun.

20-Dec-22
Innocent until proven guilty. Thoroughly investigate to make sure charges will be proven beyond a reasonable doubt Or......be like the rest of society ....protest, burn down neighborhoods, demand whatever....etc. Hopefully someone in his family, if not law enforcement already.... secured his guns. Not that I think law enforcement should just be able to take them, but in this case... I still wonder what I would have done if I was in that position.

20-Dec-22
I would think that DEEP has his gun for evidence.

21-Dec-22
Would have tried to talk to him like an adult and get close enough to jam my fist down his throat. Then call the cops while he’s picking up all his teeth out of the dirt.

21-Dec-22
AP,I'm pretty sure that would be assault on a senior citizen..I think that's federal.

21-Dec-22
Yep...and I'd loved to send an arrow through his chest. Not an easy decision when you respect life and are sworn to protect it. Not sure where that line is and I hope I never find out. Great restraint by Shawn. I also glad that no one got hurt and I hope that the ol ctutchety bastard gets the help he needs. Maybe he'll stop watching Yellowstone.....the train station is a metaphor

21-Dec-22
Self defense, without a reasonable doubt as he had the firearm. But yes if he went up and randomly knocked him out it’s a federal crime. I think it’s 60 plus

21-Dec-22
"I think is not the law."...law offices of Dewey, fucham and how will say that he could have hid behind a branch . Human life is at stake. Fine line to walk when you respect human life.

22-Dec-22
Soap, I respect human life but in a moment of demented rage , does he ? The frightening part is that this is as real for him as it is for Shawn whose life hung in the balance. The old-timer's filter is gone.

22-Dec-22
Yes in these type of situations, when the old timers filter is gone, as BD said you just don’t know where his mind is. For all we know he could have been virtually flashing back to a high pressure moment in whatever war he was involved in. Shawn did well to stay whole and uninjured as well as not escalate the situation to a critical level. AP I think we all as hunters wanted to ram our fist down this old bastards throat but in this case anyway I don’t think that was the correct choice.

22-Dec-22
Shawn is handling this perfectly. Say nothing and let the DEEP handle it. The evidence has been presented and to say anything now would only do harm in Shawn’s case.

22-Dec-22
BD. Agreed

22-Dec-22
Old guy probably had a urinary tract infection and will plead insanity

22-Dec-22
Crazy situation! Not sure why anyone is claiming elderly dementia, he doesn’t look that old to me? Late 60’s early 70’s?

People are melting down all over the place, some say Covid isolation but I blame Biden. Just sayin’

I’m surprised DEEP is handling this investigation? It’s not a game law violation, it’s attempted assault, maybe even attempted manslaughter along with criminal firearms offenses. Sounds like one for the local police?

22-Dec-22
Shawn is doing this the right way. I agree with Tall 1. Don't agree with Pat blaming Biden .

22-Dec-22
Guy probably lost 1/2 his 401k because of Biden!! I blame him too. Made the guy nuts!!!

22-Dec-22
I agree, Biden can't touch anything without f'ing up to a new degree. All star status. My guess is this guy had some dementia going on, maybe mixed with PTSD and a UTI will make people bat shit crazy.

22-Dec-22
Someone yanked his catheter lol

22-Dec-22
Maybe. Possibly improper application of the catheter, maybe some one can give him a hand

22-Dec-22

Notme's embedded Photo
Notme's embedded Photo
Who knows what goes on in people's heads..lol

22-Dec-22
Crap.....I thought I saw your camera...I mean....ummm..... nevermind. Never saw that guy in the mirror..... hey....is that a pile of corn I see

22-Dec-22
Ummm…. I’m pretty sure thats not the right 10 ring…

23-Dec-22
I didn't know deer could vote.

23-Dec-22
Pat the day it happened the state police was contacted in regards to who was going to take the case. After about two hours the deep officer notified me they would be taking the case. Not sure why as I thought the state police would be taking it over as well. Also he’s 64 if I remember correctly.

19-May-23
ttt

15-Jun-23
No updates?

15-Jun-23
This stuff takes time except for when your Trump then arrests come real quick.

30-Jun-23
ttt

01-Jul-23

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/Vx2UtoJC3v0

Maybe cause he's wearing an orange hat

• Sitka Gear