steve 01-Dec-22
BAT 01-Dec-22
spike78 01-Dec-22
BAT 01-Dec-22
BBB 01-Dec-22
Bwhnt 01-Dec-22
BBB 01-Dec-22
01-Dec-22
As you guys know, I recently harvested a beauty of a buck. So, I'm planning on doing a euro mount with him. Normally I just donate 125 bucks to Chip Stall but I'm thinking about doing it myself this time around. Does anyone have any tips for the trade to pass along?

01-Dec-22
I macerate. Put it in a bucket of water and forget about it. You can skin it, but don't have to. Everything will rot off. Keep it outside, it stinks. Change water every couple months. If you put it in the sun, place a black garbage bag over it to protect the antlers from fading. That's the long way to do it. I'm never in a hurry. My big 6 pt hung in my shed for a year before I got it into a bucket. Took it out in September. If you want it quicker you'll have to cook it.

01-Dec-22
Cut off all excess meat you can. Remove the eye balls and bottom jaw. Simmer (don't boil) for a few hrs. It usually takes about 4 beers. Add baking soda to the water the meat will turn to a gel and come off easier. The nasal cavity you spray out with a hose. Be patient, it takes elbow grease. You will have to dig the brains out with something too. Take it out and check it every 15 min or so, removing what you can each time. If you go too far you will weaken the bond between the bones, not far enough and it's hard to get clean. You will get the feel for it.

01-Dec-22
Chip does good work but you have to wait a year! Look up some videos I don’t think it’s that hard .

01-Dec-22

BAT's embedded Photo
BAT's embedded Photo
Agree with Bwhnt, I skin it out and put in a tub with Borax powder for 12-24 hours. I also use a small wire brush for cleaning between simmering and have a “ Skull bleaching kit” with hydrogen peroxide and a bleaching agent powder that you mix and put on the skull for 24 hours. I may have bought it at Cabela’s? Here is a screen shot of the kit.

01-Dec-22
Um water is freezing outside doubt that would work!

01-Dec-22

BAT's embedded Photo
BAT's embedded Photo
Oh, and wrap some aluminum foil around the bottom of the antlers before simmering to keep the color of the antlers. I picked up a wood plaque at a craft store and put a couple coats of poly on it for this one, others are just hung on a nail…

01-Dec-22

BBB's Link
Great how to video here

01-Dec-22
Personal preference...but I never whiten my skulls. I like the natural off white color after the cooking process. It looks more natural to me. I suggest letting it dry and seeing how you like it before whiting it. You can't un do it once you bleach it.

01-Dec-22
I agree with Bwhnt, I like the more natural look.

• Sitka Gear