Bugleboy 05-Dec-22
wyobullshooter 05-Dec-22
PushCoArcher 05-Dec-22
jordanathome 20-Jan-23
CTBobcat 03-Feb-23
wytex 06-Feb-23
CTBobcat 08-Feb-23
04-Dec-22
Hello all, I am trying to figure out how to go about getting an archery tag. I have googled it but just don’t find the answer I’m looking for. I have 2 preference points. I am wanting to know if I’d be able to hunt Wyoming in 2023 archery only. Tried to find draw odds but nothing came up for archery. I’m a non resident from P.A. And have never hunted Wyoming but have hunted Colorado since ‘92 Thank you in advance.

04-Dec-22
The archery only tags are called type 9 tags. Wyoming does thing's a bit different they have type 1 tags are bull or either sex, type 4 full price cow, type 6 reduced price cow/calf, type 9 bow only, etc. But many of the rifle tags have a special archery season (usually in September) that you can hunt by buying a archery stamp. I think you still need the archery stamp even with a type 9 tag. Unfortunately 2 points probably won't get you much certainly not a type 9 tag.

05-Dec-22
As PushCoArcher notes, Type 9 licenses are archery only. Several areas offer Type 9 licenses, however the overwhelming number of areas do not. Of those that do have Type 9's, only a handful offer the entire season to those holders. For the rest, Type 9 holders get less than half the season to themselves. After that, anyone with a Type 1 (Any Elk), Type 4 (Antlerless Elk), and Type 6 and 7 (Reduced Price Cow/Calf) licenses can join the party, once the Special Archery Season kicks in...for the price of an archery license. Type 9 license holders DO NOT need an archery license.

There are only a VERY few areas that you will even be able to sniff drawing a Type 9 License with 2 PP's. Those areas will most likely have extremely limited public access, so buyer beware.

05-Dec-22
Thank you fellas! Quite confusing to say the least. Do I have any options this year with 2 points? Any weapon? I have a drop camp booked for 2023 3rd season Colorado just looking for another hunt. Thank you

05-Dec-22
PM sent.

05-Dec-22

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
2022 WY cow
PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
2022 WY cow
If cow only is a route you're willing to take you could get a decent type 4 tag. But those tags burn points. The type 6-7 tags don't use points and are in a separate random draw which makes drawing less predictable. There's some pretty good type 6-7 tags of course the better the tag the lower the draw odds.

20-Jan-23
I looked today and I think the archery stamp needed for special archery seasons (non-Type 9) is $79 on top of your elk license. Type 9 DOES NOT require any additional archery stamp or cost....just $707 for non res. But like it has been said, not too many ops for 2pts to draw one of these type 9 tags. Not every unit has 'em.

03-Feb-23
I have 8 Elk PP's for Wyoming as a non-rez. Would love to do an archery bull elk hunt. Don't need a booner, just a respectable first (and likely last) bull

06-Feb-23
It will have to be next year, apps are closed for NR elk now in Wyoming. Leftover list will be out in June.

08-Feb-23
Yea, I'm buying a point in the summer. so I will have 9PP's for elk in WY for 2024 draw. Just looking for an affordable outfitter since I have nobody to go with.

• Sitka Gear