Zbone 22-Dec-22
Old Reb 23-Dec-22
Zbone 24-Dec-22
Zbone 24-Dec-22
Zbone 24-Dec-22
Zbone 24-Dec-22
07-Dec-22

Zbone's Link
Pat - The amish are xgunning all the big ones...8^)

Another Ohio monster buck, number 1 or 2 nontypical (depending on which record book) was xgunned by an amish kid on opening day of bowseason a few years ago, if I remember right... I have pix of it somewhere, but anyhow here's a link to the latest monster:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/ohio-trophy-buckmasters-record-buck/

Am not into the buckmasters thing, but wonder what this buck scores B&C...

"Crossbow Hunter Tags 240-Inch Buck, One of the Biggest in Ohio Buckmasters Records"

07-Dec-22
Yikes. Good chance he had no idea the buck was there! The Amish around me never use trail cams. I bet his non-amish neighbors are upset, however.

07-Dec-22
Great buck! It is always nice to see that there are bucks like that in Ohio. Maybe there will be an article in North American Whitetail or somewhere else that will provide more details. The hunter may have been watching the buck feeding days before the season and was able to capitalize on it. A number of years ago there was an Amish hunter that killed a great buck in southern Ohio after discovering that he was regularly feeding in a bean field before dark.

07-Dec-22
"A number of years ago there was an Amish hunter that killed a great buck in southern Ohio after discovering that he was regularly feeding in a bean field before dark"

Yeah Cliff, that was the one I was talking about above... Lemme look, I have pix.... Here I go again looking back over 20+ years of computer files...8^)

07-Dec-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Schmucker Buck, Adams County, September 30, 2006... I think it was first day of bowseason that year...

Net score 291-2/8", I believe it is Ohio's all time number 2 nontypical behind the Beatty Buck...

If I remember right an amish kid xgunned it from like 70 yards away in a bean field, as Cliff said... I think it was killed on their family farm and they had been watching in the field all summer... They knew it was there...

08-Dec-22
Forgot all about the Schmucker buck. Heck of a deer. Wish I could read the spread measurement on that tape measure.

09-Dec-22
Gary, Thanks for pulling up the pictures of the Schmucker buck. Very impressive.

11-Dec-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
"Wish I could read the spread measurement on that tape measure" Yeah, me too Old Reb...

You're welcome Cliff, kinda been keeping pix and short info on exceptional bucks that went viral through the years...

Attached is another amish kill Pat...8^) Anybody remember this one... It was all over magazine covers when I was a teen... The topic buck of the first post kinda reminds of this buck... I remember this buck being in full body mount view in a shop window display in Berlin, Ohio before the shooter went to court... The last time I seen the rack was hanging in the ODNR district office in Akron a few years ago, they must have recaped it... The article tells the story...

21-Dec-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo

Zbone's Link
I'd almost forgot about this Coshocton County buck back in 2018, this is another amish kill/poach... I think we had a discussion on it at the time on this forum, but archives won't go back far enough... Actually, this amish kill was poached since the guy killed this buck on the same day Nov 7th that he had already tagged another buck...

One article says he killed an 8-point in the morning then killed the 26-point during evening stand... Hmmm, am guessing he knew or seen the big guy in the area, maybe a hot doe keeping them there... But I forget the story and the discussion we had here...

Aged at 4-1/2 and scores 228 7/8"... Here's a linky:

https://www.coshoctontribune.com/story/news/local/2018/12/27/amish-man-fined-28-000-poaching-26-point-buck/2416482002/

21-Dec-22
If I remember correctly, the hunter had already filled his buck tag as you indicated but shot this buck and changed the tag to it as a Holmes County kill. The Amish hunter did not advertise the kill on social media. He took the deer to a taxidermist who put a picture on-line. Hunters in Coshocton County had been hunting the buck and knew that it did not live in Holmes County. They contacted the warden. When confronted the Amish hunter came clean.

21-Dec-22
I knew you would know that deer Cliff...8^)))

I remember we had good conversation here when it happened... I was just reading a couple articles about it and they dropped the hammer on the guy.... Like a $27,000 fine, I think he spent 60 days in jail, and lost hunting privilege's for a couple years, and probation... When I get home, will post some links...

Another instance of the ODNR confiscating high scoring bucks if illegal or if you don't dot your "I"s and cross your "T"s...8^) They are notorious for doing so...

21-Dec-22
Yes Gary. It happened in my area so I was very interested. I think that some of my Amish friends knew the hunter.

21-Dec-22
Yeah Cliff knew that was your area... That circled area on that map from the photo above is like dead center of the largest amish community in the nation and I hadn't realised both those amish poached monsters came from there just a few miles apart from what I read... Guess it hadn't dawned on me since they were said killed in different counties Coshocton and Holmes that they were actually killed that close together... It's amazing they lived long enough to grow that big in an area of "if it's brown it's down"... Some super genetics there although I hadn't seen much while working in that area for the phone company back in the day but did see a dandy from the road one evening near Bakersville...

The most best information on the Coshocton buck I posted in the link above from the Coshocton Tribune... After re-reading it, I guess the guy avoided jail time since he paid the $28,741.46 restitution, fines and court costs:

https://www.coshoctontribune.com/story/news/local/2018/12/27/amish-man-fined-28-000-poaching-26-point-buck/2416482002/

"Junior L. Troyer, 43, 6702 Township Road 113, Millersburg, entered pleas of no contest in Coshocton Municipal Court recently to one count each of providing false information while game-checking a deer, attaching a game-check number to a deer that was originally issued to another, taking more than one antlered deer in a licensed year, possessing deer or deer parts without valid tag or permit and attaching an anterless doe game-check number to an antlered deer. All are third-degree misdemeanors.

Junior Troyer of Millersburg was fined more than $28,000 for poaching a 26-point buck on Nov. 7 in Coshocton County. Troyer had shot an 8-point buck earlier in the day and later shot the larger buck. Judge Tim France fined Troyer $150 for each charge and $87 in court costs. Additionally, Troyer was ordered to pay $27,904.46 in restitution to the State of Ohio based on the value of the deer.

Troyer was also to have his hunting privileges revoked for two years and serve 60 days in jail. France said he would suspend the jail time and reduce the revocation to one year if Troyer paid the total $28,741.46 in fines in full. The municipal court website lists all fines as having been paid.

According to court records, Troyer had shot an 8-point buck earlier in the day on Nov. 7. He went back out hunting in the evening and shot the 26-pointer.

Troyer decapitated both deer and tagged in the body of the 8-pointer with the head of the 26-pointer. The next morning he checked in the headless body of the 26-pointer as a doe. He threw the head of the 8-point buck in a ditch, which was later recovered by authorities.

[email protected]"

Here is another linky:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/12/27/amish-man-fined-poached-buck/2427796002/

22-Dec-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Doing these internet searches, came across more pix of the Schmucker Buck...

Old Reb - The one link indicated it had a 24" inside spread, but didn't give outside spread...

22-Dec-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo

Zbone's Link
So for a wide outside spread, here's a Ohio buck for ya...8^)

And get this,,, it's an amish bowkill...8^)))

https://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/editorial/ultra-wide-whitetail-arrowed-ohio-amish-country/370700

23-Dec-22
Gosh dang that's a wide one. Got a drop tine to boot. I see there is a compound bow with the deer when it is in the Ranger. I guess they're not all Amish x-gunners.

24-Dec-22
Wonder if that wide one is widest on record, don't remember ever seeing photos of one wider... Curious if B&C Club members have access to say a computer program that can search on widest spread...

24-Dec-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Couldn't help myself.... It's 2 degrees in the parking lot, 20 mph winds, like 30 below chill factor... I feel sorry for this poor creature...

Gotta be awful hungry to horse and buggy to the grocery store in this fridged weather... Guess they live about 3 or 4 miles away...

24-Dec-22
Okay, I'll quit teasing Pat on the amish now...8^) But wanted to post pix of this monster buck from first post from Ashland County... This is a grand buck of a lifetime... Wish they give B&C measurements/score....

24-Dec-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Luv the dark rack...

• Sitka Gear