Gungnir 23-Feb-23
Big Dog 24-Feb-23
8's or Better 25-Feb-23
Jm255 26-Feb-23
Arrownoob 07-Mar-23
Arrownoob 07-Mar-23
JoeC1988 07-Mar-23
11-Dec-22
Skin it, then try and clean out all the meat such as eyes, brain, tongue as best as you can. Put it in the pot and boil ( going to stink like crap) pull it out and use your hose and wash what’s left of the insides, may need to boil again to get rid of the last little bit. Tape off base of antlers and about 2-3” up and paint the skull with white spray paint or what ever color you choose. Iv seen guys do their own camo dip before. Tote full of water and you buy the spray paint colors you want. Spray the paint into the water and alternate until the cans are completely gone. Then dip the skull and swiftly move it around and pull it out. OR just hang it up in the garage and spray paint it white. I don’t bleach it, doesn’t seem to get as white as paint. YouTube has the diy camo dip if you search it, don’t right it works awesome

11-Dec-22
Don't do it in your kitchen unless you are single or want to become single !

11-Dec-22
Don't boil it, just barely simmer. Add baking soda to the water it will sort of turn the meat to a gel. Check it every 15 or 20 min. Be patient it usually takes at least 4 beers to get it done.

11-Dec-22
Don't boil it, just barely simmer. Add baking soda to the water it will sort of turn the meat to a gel. Check it every 15 or 20 min. Be patient it usually takes at least 4 beers to get it done.

11-Dec-22
Serve on a crackaaa duddeeeeeee. Haha YouTube guy.

11-Dec-22
Agree with comments, use a small wire brush to clean the skull each time you check it. I use a kit from VanDyke that includes a bleaching agent that stays on for 24 hours, makes a nice white skull.

11-Dec-22
I heard wet cardboard between the antlers and pot works to prevent antler burn. Also that bleach will make it brittle. Guy who did mine uses a pressure washer after boiling. Just don't use the high pressure nosel.

11-Dec-22
Rub mayonnaise on the skull then rub mayonnaise on your skull rinse and repeat. Shinny new looking skull s

11-Dec-22
Rub mayonnaise on the skull then rub mayonnaise on your skull rinse and repeat. Shinny new looking skull s

11-Dec-22
I cover myself in Mayo In the summer and lay on the pool deck. Helps the tan.

11-Dec-22
Make sure it's well secured to the wall. We had one jump off our living room wall twice this summer. It hung there for a couple years without issue; it now lives in the compost pile.

11-Dec-22
40 vol peroxide will do the bleaching. No need to spray paint. Can get it through Amazon. Used for hair

11-Dec-22
Clean it up and let it dry and see how you like the looks before you whiten it. Personally I never whiten mine. I like the natural look. Bright white doesn't look natural to me, but to each his own.

11-Dec-22
Baking soda and dawn dish soap in the pot for a slow simmer. Scrub with wire brush to remove leftovers. Simmer again if needed. Soak in hydrogen peroxide for 12 to 24 hours then cover with salon 40. Rinse and hang

11-Dec-22

Jm255's embedded Photo
Couple from 2019
Jm255's embedded Photo
Couple from 2019
I’ve done 2 or 3 hundred of them in the last 8 years best way to do it fast cut the skin off and rip off the bottom jaw it will pop right out, cut the tailbone on the back of the skull and use a little dawn dish soap in the pot with simmering water, bigger heads take longer to boil then little heads I usually give it 2 hours then take a pressure washer with a turbo tip and wash the skull good repeat this process 2 or 3 times till all the meat and brains are off! Let it dry for a day or two and mix up some volume 40 gel peroxide and power bleach in a bowl or cup and apply it with a paint brush carefully you don’t get it on you hands, teeth or antlers!!!!!

11-Dec-22
There’s a guy on Facebook saying he uses a crock pot at 165 and it’s more gentle than a boil. I just brought mine to a dude

11-Dec-22
Easily enough to diy no sense in wasting the money

12-Dec-22
Do it outside. i've never done it... But I've seen enough people say that's mandatory ha ha ha!

12-Dec-22
Last time I boiled down some deer parts I did it outside.

13-Dec-22
Best boiled outdoors, while fresh less stench, take out tongue, remove brains with coat hanger, remove all flesh and have a fire burning. 2-3 hours of a low roll boil, double rinse with Dawn then Oxi clean. Compressed air works good to blow out all the loose stuff. Brush the hair salon peroxide on it and put it in the sun. Need a big pot and a burner. Old timers would boil a fresh pigs head to make head cheese out of. A forgotten delicacy along with the tongue. Anyone ever tried the deer's tongue? I tried pork HC when i was a kid, it had to much gellatin and salt in it, among other parts! To young to wash it down with beer!

13-Dec-22
I've cooked up tongue, my daughter loves it. I usually slow cook it wrapped in foil with butter, garlic, and onions. Skin the lower jaw, run a knife along the jawbone all the way back to the neck, and cut at the base. I'd recommend freezing it and collecting a few all season, then cook them together. Not a lot of meat one one, but they are good.

13-Dec-22
PLH, I've heard that it is a very good cut of meat and have thought of trying it but forget to cut it out. Ill have to make some Tongue Fu ! Bet that be good. It is a muscle. Is it anything like heart?

13-Dec-22
Its not like heart. After cooking, I peel the skin off. Comes off easy after slow cooking, and I just scrub it good and rinse with vinegar before cooking.

The tip to the middle is a softer, different texture. Sorta spongy. The back half is fine grain meat similar to tenderloins. Goes great chopped up in tacos.

13-Dec-22
Public is 100% spot on with his description of tongue. You just simmer with onion, garlic whatever you like until the outer skin bubbles up and then peel it. It's like toast beef. I got a doe yesterday that tongue is going in the pot

13-Dec-22
Roast*

13-Dec-22
Tongue makes the best tacos you'll ever have, tacos lengua.

14-Dec-22
Next deer is Tongue Fu Tacos. its on the, To Cook list! Speaking of Tacos, its time for some Venison Tacos! Maybe ill try dipping a Dead Head in camo paint,

14-Dec-22
Just let it cook low and slow don't rush it. It's like a rubber band at first you have to give it plenty of time to get tender at a simmer.

14-Dec-22
I killed 2 moose in NL, those tongues were awesome. The local guides we had in camp would fight you for it.

14-Dec-22
Don't knock it till you try it. I usually cook several as described (freeze them until i have a few) then chunk it up and make a stew with a tomato base. Melt in your mouth

14-Dec-22
All this tongue talk and I couldn't resist. Got em simmering now. I wish we had smell-a-phone. Stew for the weekend storm.

14-Dec-22
Lol!

07-Jan-23
Looks great!

07-Jan-23
Looks fantastic.

07-Jan-23
That came out beautiful !! Nice job !!

07-Jan-23
Great job Mister Pi!

07-Jan-23
Nice buck

07-Jan-23
Good job, nice buck

07-Jan-23
Boiling a head does make soup but I'll have to pass on that one.

08-Jan-23
I use a turkey fryer and it's hard to keep it low enough.

08-Jan-23
Pi, I think you should ask Tom Brady for advice; he knows all about " Euros". LOL

08-Jan-23
Looks good PI!

08-Jan-23
Yup, he was blind-sided by Mini Madoff , a Crypto psychopath. And the beat goes on.

09-Jan-23
Do not boil. I use a crockpot at 165-170 for 24 hours. Pressure wash and repeat if necessary

09-Jan-23
Pi, it turned out looking good

09-Jan-23
Looks great!

09-Jan-23
Looks awesome - well done!

09-Jan-23
Holy cow ewade, I got an earful for cooking squirrels in my wife’s pan. You cook a deer head in a crockpot? Do you have your own crockpot? Or do you have a wife who’s a saint?

09-Jan-23
Really does look great—congrats!

09-Jan-23
Looks awesome Pi, nice work.

10-Jan-23
Jeb, i bought an oversized crockpot(turkey roaster)specifically for euros. Learned about it from a taxidermist. With the low heat you dont have to worry about tooth or antler damage.

10-Jan-23
Ewade for the win on this topic.

15-Jan-23

Arrownoob's embedded Photo
And the beat goes on. Little by little.

16-Jan-23
i still have one haunting me in the shed

16-Jan-23
Oh that’s a good idea then I can take the tarsal glands out of my kitchen freezer

16-Jan-23
Good lord noob. My wife would kill me lmao

16-Jan-23
I used to have a 6 pd snakehead and a 6pd pacu in my freezer. They died when my filtration system broke down while I was away. My girl was happy when they finally made their way to the trash.

16-Jan-23

16-Jan-23
Who knew a thread about hot heads would be so well received, LOL

16-Jan-23

fisherick's embedded Photo
Final resting place
Final resting place
Until his friend is ready to join him
Until his friend is ready to join him

16-Jan-23
What do you guys do to make your antlers look bigger?

16-Jan-23
Rub them

17-Jan-23
don't forget "long arming"

17-Jan-23

17-Jan-23
That mop and glo stinks like perfume I put the thing out in the shed again

17-Jan-23
I never have and don’t ever plan on having anythin out on my antlers. Leave em natural. Like that look better personally

18-Jan-23

Publiclandhunter's embedded Photo
Publiclandhunter's embedded Photo
Got my Parris Island buck back over the holidays. Mounted it on an old cedar slab I had in the garage, and he hangs at work now. I will probably try to do one on my own next. Didn't have the time this fall.

18-Jan-23
Plh- I had a skull cap I mounted on cedar and a bunch of bugs got into the bark. Wife freaked out and “back to the shed” it went. If I were to do it again I’d remove the bark or put it in the oven first

18-Jan-23
Thanks for the info. The slab is probably 25yrs old when I got it for a never-realized clock project. It was well aged then. No bark on it, edges are just dark from age. I do have a some cedar logs a few years old waiting for other projects, so I will be sure to keep an eye out for critters in them.

18-Jan-23
Thanks. Guy only charged $75. It is a metal bracket, Amazon special. Got the 3 pack. Good quality. I drilled a bottom hole and added a second screw for extra support just in case.

18-Jan-23

19-Jan-23
After a little research a few weeks back, I found a DIY alternative to the amazon brackets on Youtube. The guy used handrail wall brackets. They work great. Same angle, cheap ($4-5/bracket) and available at your local hardware store.

16-Feb-23
This story above is strange loop. It's mostly my story with the snakehead and pacu. Somethings fishy.

16-Feb-23
I saw randy new berg put the wire on the back like mine. YouTube.

16-Feb-23
None of the taxidermists there using beetles to clean heads?

16-Feb-23

Finally got them finished and on the wall.

17-Feb-23
Came out real nice Fishrick !

19-Feb-23
Fishr.....nice

21-Feb-23

8's or Better's embedded Photo
Got both of my heads back. Very Happy with the finished product.

21-Feb-23
Nice 8's, who did them for you?

21-Feb-23
8s those are cool, I love tall brow tines and all the bucks I've shot have pretty short brow tines... Some day Ill find one with long brows... some day. Until then, I'm appreciating the heck out of others. Congrats!

21-Feb-23
8’s those look awesome you had a very good year!

21-Feb-23
Those look great 8's!

21-Feb-23
Awesome ! Backed by an awesome year ! Congrats

21-Feb-23
Congrats again 8s! Sweet bucks

22-Feb-23
8's.....what a year, congrats

22-Feb-23
Nice work guys .

22-Feb-23

Gungnir's Link
Technical difficulties.

22-Feb-23

Gungnir's embedded Photo
Gungnir's embedded Photo

22-Feb-23

Gungnir's embedded Photo
Gungnir's embedded Photo
Here's one I did myself this year. Boy oh boy it was stinky. I wish someone said not to boil this thing in the kitchen. But what an interesting soup it made.

22-Feb-23
Good ole gungnir

22-Feb-23
That’s why that chowder tasted weird….bastard

22-Feb-23
Did you really eat it ? It was intended to be chum !

22-Feb-23
So that’s why it was frozen in a 5 gallon bucket….now it all makes sense

22-Feb-23
I'm sorry I wrote "For my Chum" on the lid. That's my bad . I'll be more careful next time.

23-Feb-23
Gung, nice Euro, must have been some interesting "stock " left in the pot !!

23-Feb-23
Home made "Anti" juice. Keeps skunks away too.

24-Feb-23
Worse than the saddle of Lucretia Borgia, LOL

25-Feb-23
Thanks Everyone! Southshore Euros did mine. Very Happy with them

26-Feb-23

Jm255's embedded Photo
Jm255's embedded Photo
Couple of ones we had dipped back when I was doing them!!!

07-Mar-23

A dead head I found in the sun.
A dead head I found in the sun.
Antlers are pretty white!
Antlers are pretty white!

07-Mar-23

Put some wood stain on them- looks fresh!
Put some wood stain on them- looks fresh!

07-Mar-23
came out great

• Sitka Gear