crestedbutte 13-Dec-22
Kansan 13-Dec-22
Dale06 13-Dec-22
crestedbutte 13-Dec-22
Dale06 13-Dec-22
One Arrow 13-Dec-22
Two dogs mobile 14-Dec-22
11-Dec-22
So I’ve been on ksoutdoors website and I can’t find a limit for the number of bobcats you can get in a season or day. Is there no limit?

Also, from reading the regs it looks like it is LEGAL to shoot at coyotes from your vehicle??? Guess I never knew that.

11-Dec-22
I don't think there is a limit on Bobcats Ray. I think you may be confusing the use of "motor vehicles", pretty sure they are referring to chasing them with vehicles...been a thing for many years. Surely you've seen the pickups with special dog boxes on the flatbed?

12-Dec-22
It has always been legal to shoot at coyotes from a vehicle from the Township road as long as you had permission.We used to shotgun before all the houses.But no limit on bobcats but must have furbearer permit.Coyotes and armadillos only have to have hunting permit

12-Dec-22
There is also a non resident bobcat license available ($100) that I think is only good for one cat.

13-Dec-22
Thanks for the info guys. I’m going to talk to a game warden about shooting from a vehicle at coyotes. Don’t like that idea at all, if true.

13-Dec-22
That rule about the vehicle and coyotes has been on the books for over 25 years. It's read the exact same way as long as I can remember.

13-Dec-22
Honestly, I am really tired of deer hunting… I haven’t had the enjoyment I used to have the last few years despite having a horseshoe up my arse the last 5. If it wasn’t for my kids, a couple friends, and family I’d lease every acre out and use the money towards an elk hunt… if I had time. Maybe even save it up to go to New Zealand for a stag hunt once (yes I know it’s almost like high fence), but I can’t get New Zealand out of my mind since watching a hunting show as a kid. More for the views of the country side than the animals.

Back to the topic….

Kyle, I’ve seen the dog boxes and have a few pics of guys trespassing in those box trucks. When I see those guys I don’t stick around to see how they “hunt”… as I’ll lose my temper. I always just assumed they got out of their vehicles to shoot.

Ripped one of them just a couple years back for running their dogs on my land during youth Turkey season just as I was getting ready to enter the property with my son. I have never been asked permission… not once, and it happens multiple times of year.

I’m not concerned about the licensure requirements, as we will be hunting our farm ground, so my son and I are exempt. He’s wanting to goose hunt and coyote hunt pretty bad… and calling a coyote or bobcat in is about as exciting as it gets from the few times I’ve went.

I think I just have to get a tag for the bobcats after harvest if I want to mount or keep the fur… if Im not mistaken?

13-Dec-22
Kansans have legally been chasing coyotes with vehicles, and shooting at them from moving vehicles for at least 60 years. I recall seeing it often in the1960s and participated in it several times. It’s legal, and not at all uncommon in the western half of Ks. Back in the day, it was not uncommon for 3-4 pick ups to canvas hundreds or thousands of acres working together to find and pursue coyotes. Some days a group like that would kill several coyotes, some days up to 20 coyotes.

13-Dec-22
We still do Dale, with greyhounds. Such a fun time! We might catch 30, 40, 50 coyotes over a long weekend.

13-Dec-22
One Arrow - cats have to be tagged within 7 days of the end of season. Call a game warden and set up a meeting time/place so they can get their data and tag the pelt. Super easy!

13-Dec-22
Kansan…what breed is your kill dog?

13-Dec-22
I don’t have any coyote dogs, but I frequently go along for the ride. I believe that they’re all greyhounds.

13-Dec-22
Kansan, yup, I rode along on one of those greyhound hunts. It was a slow day, but the dogs caught several. Those greyhounds are amazing.

13-Dec-22
Back in the 90’s the groups I regularly saw running coyotes in and around Clearwater, KS always had a kill dog (of some kind of pit mix breed) come in and finish off the yote.

13-Dec-22
Another coyote/dog story. Many years ago one Sunday morning I as sitting in my father in laws living room on his farm near Caldwell,Ks. A half dozen hounds ran across the farm yard and into his pasture. Ten minutes later a truck pulled in the drive and asked if we’d seen any dogs chasing a coyote. We told them dogs yes, but we did not see a coyote. About then, we spotted the dogs couple hundred yards away mingling around the end of a field drain culvert. We went he there and shined a flashlight into the culvert and sure enough, there was the coyote. One of the coyote hunters found a 15’ length of barb wire, and stuck it in the culvert. He he twisted the wire around and was able to tangle the wire into the coyotes fur and pull it out. Immediately , all the dogs piled on the coyote and that was the end of the coyote. The hunters, I and my FIL stood around and were chatting and the dogs were laying around taking a break. After about five minutes, I happened to notice that barb wire was moving a bit. I looked at the coyote and it was slowly “coming around” and looking to make a run for it, despite still being tangled in the wire. One of the hunters has a .22 handgun and took care of the coyote, this time for good.

13-Dec-22
Thank you Jason

14-Dec-22
The ones I have known had a bigger, slower greyhound. The smaller fast dogs would catch the coyote and the big greyhound would get there and make short work of finishing the coyote.

• Sitka Gear