5ks 03-Jan-23
27-Dec-22

be still's embedded Photo
Sorry fellas I tried to post something this morning since it was showing I had one bar but it never did go through. I’ll catch y’all up here. Called this guy and he never knew me from Adam but explained I was wanting to do a little bowhunting for a few days and he said…well I guess that’ll be alright.

Sunday afternoon was my 1st hunt. Seen quite a few in the distance but not any on the small place I was at not many tracks in the snow at the cut cornfield I was at. Did see this young female mountain lion come down the frozen creek behind me. Had a beautiful long tail but I was sitting on the ground against a tree and she was behind and that was far I as I could turn to take the pic without scaring her…pretty cool to watch.

Yesterday I drove around with the farmer/rancher and helped him feed his cows. We was in a cool ole rusted out single cab ford. Front end was slighted tilted up cause up the heavy silage grinder in the back. As soon as I crawled in scooting over some quart size oil jugs in the seat as well sliding over quite a bit of old farm clutter to make room for my feet I felt like I was in heaven. Felt good to see the ground through the bottom of the floorboard by the gearshift. When we were slowly making a turn dumping out feed with the old truck popping, creaking, and felt like any moment it was just going to fall apart…I had to ask the question. How long you’ve been driving this truck with his reply being…aw probably around 20 something years. Made me grin and right then I knew deer or no deer the trip was already worth it. Don’t know what it is but I love riding around in something old that just won’t give up.

Yesterday evening seen one doe and a coyote. Don’t know why here lately but the coyotes like getting close to me…I guess they know I ain’t going to shoot ‘em.

Here’s where I was sitting this morning. Was on the north side of a creek with some bedding CRP south of that with some cut corn to the southwest of that. Had a cool south wind in my face but not a deer. Even walked around some later with nothing being seen and not many tracks. They’re grouped up somewhere hitting a food source…I just need to find where.

27-Dec-22
Are you back in KS? If so, amazing to see a lion in person.

27-Dec-22
Good luck…those deer have enough fat reserves built-up that they can hunker down during the day and feed at night if they want to. On the heels/following 1.5 weeks of gun hunters….if I was a deer during this COLD spell I’d hunker down during the day too and only move around to feed at night.

The warm up on Thurs. could be magical though?

27-Dec-22
That mountain lion sighting is amazing! Those old ranch trucks are 2nd in coolness only the old geezers that drive them!

27-Dec-22
Yeah Sam I’m back in Kansas.

Jason that may be true but I haven’t found the group yet. I mean yeah they might be moving at night just maybe but I would see their tracks. Very few tracks on the places I’ve been so far….what does that tell you Jason? Unless they’ve started growing wings but I haven’t come across any deer like that yet:?)

27-Dec-22
Hmmmm…hell I figured maybe you were hunting on Kyle’s places????? ;?)

27-Dec-22
3:40…I was helping that guy so a little late getting to this spot. Never been here as well. Got a deep nasty looking draw in front with a cut bean behind me. Looks like a bench across from me that leads from the draw to the bean field. Few tracks coming in but nothing to hyperventilate about.

27-Dec-22
I'd be on the look out for cat tracks, those things will hunt you. I don't care if they're considered "huntable" in KS, and I play by the rules, but if I see one in range I'm sending an arrow

27-Dec-22
Good luck , but I’d say with the new friendship acquired, and the lion sighting the trip has been worth it even without a kill. But still hoping you can get it done.

27-Dec-22
Good luck

27-Dec-22
Good luck

27-Dec-22

Alright alright I better not take it any further with Mr. Knapp commenting on it. I like him and he’s an alright dude but now all y’all other knuckleheads….well the joke’s on y’all:?)

Don’t get mad get glad…suckas. I probably need to start thinking about heading south before I get my butt whooped up here.

27-Dec-22
Oh yeah just seen one small buck and that was in the cut bean field on the way out.

27-Dec-22
I unfriend you

27-Dec-22
Now that's funny! But I have to admit. You had me fooled.

27-Dec-22
I just took his word for it. Damn Texan! Next thing you know he'll be shipping bus loads of immigrants to our addresses.

27-Dec-22

Oh Kyle I’ll charm you back.

Sorry fellas I just couldn’t help it. After taking snapshots off of the video I looked at that one and was like dang. Knew pretty quick what I was going to do. Just cut off the tail and bingo…we have a winner. I knew after Sam and Cat being the trapper that he is…after he commented the rest of y’all were going to fold like dominos. Just wished my good friend Mike Pierce was still around. He always thought there was a bunch of lions around:?)

Hoping to get Randy as well and maybe I did but he would never admit it.

What’s weird is in the revealing pic I sent y’all she she looks like a pretty good size bobcat. But she really didn’t look that big in person. Crazy how pics make things appear. Here’s a couple different pics that shows more what her size was.

27-Dec-22
You keep sayin' female...how'd you know it was a female?

Did you send a close up of its genentalia to Wenzel for analysis? Keep in mind he's been on a couch aging 1/2 price 3-4yr old Russel Stovers from Wal-mart for 2wks... and his eyes are glazed over

27-Dec-22
Dam you make me laugh with the sayings you come up with…don’t know how you do it.

It had a feminine look with the slender shoulders, puffy belly, and the skinny neck. Most of the bobcats I’ve shot the males has had more muscular shoulders and necks…their necks seemed to make their head look more blocky. Not for sure but I was guessing it was a she.

Now I did let Jason know though that I was going to pull a joke on y’all so he already knew. Figured I better not pull another on him. But now our good friend Jason here was wanting me to play this out through the weekend. Said I ought to tell y’all that KWDP contacted me and was wanting to know the location of the siting and everything. Said something about tracks and I said yeah I could go back there and make lion tracks in the snow. I was tempted but I thought I better not be that mean:?)

27-Dec-22
I will admit by this one pic walking away she looks more muscular than she really was. When I first seen her she was taking her time coming down the creek behind me and to my left. By the time I got my phone out though cause she was close at that point and me being on the ground against the tree I didn’t get no video from that side. By the time these shots were taken she was a little further out…maybe 30 yards out.

27-Dec-22
Dang it man. You had me for a minute. I too videoed a nice Bobcat at my place during rut.

27-Dec-22

crestedbutte's Link
Be Still….just remember and don’t you EVER forget the next time you’re on a Neature Walk like that….”look out for cat tracks.” “Those things will hunt you!” “If I see one in range I’m sending an arrow!”

Oh man, I was drinking a jack on the rocks when I read that…damn that burned as I lost it laughing so hard it came shooting out my nose. It is 11:00pm and I still got a chuckle going on account of that and slight burning sensation in my nose still. Oh but hell it was worth reading all that!

All in all, that picture was pretty neat. Did you warn that mountain Cougar by saying “Hey, I think you’re pretty neat!” As you hunt what’s left of the 2022 season, be on the look out for wild biting goats too. If you do see one, do as Kyle would do….look for tracks, hunt it before it hunts you and by all means just send and arrow down range!!! ;?)

On a serious note, see the link provided (West TX Big Bobcat Contest), we need one of these in KS. Click on Contest Info and look at some of those payouts for just 23 hrs of hunting? Dang!

28-Dec-22
Yeah I probably should have kept the joke going on a little longer. Your going to get me in trouble one day Jason:?)

Drinking a little tonight so I could stay up to watch the Cowboys game. Hoping they can make a comeback.

Yeah Jason my 2 nephews enter that ever year and the first place payout is usually around 50k. Serious deal…afterwards the winner has to pass a lie detector test to weed out the ones trying to pump water into the cats and trying to slip cats in out of state…etc.

I never have entered though cause I’m trying to catch up on work after deer season. I give them a hard time though with their little sissy electronic callers and now to make it worse…thermals. Tell them all the time…don’t y’all remember when y’all were little kids y’all would come come out all wide eyed when your uncle would show up with all the bobcats and coyotes called in with a mouth call. The little punks act like they don’t remember.

One day if I can ever get mad enough at the cats again I’ll show em how to win it:?)

On a serious note a 30 something pound cat can usually win it. Cats down there usually don’t get as big as the ones up here I heard. Did see 2 cats down there years ago in a cooler at a taxidermist. Biggest I had ever seen. Asked him how much they weighed and he said 40 something. They were killed by some Turkey farms. If I remember right they were feeding on the dead turkeys that were being thrown out.

28-Dec-22
Be Still, luckily I don’t get offended easily lol. Pretty funny right there, but don’t know what part of our great state you’re in, but if you’ve looked at the thread a few days ago titled More Cats, the trail camera pics of a cougar was taken 4 or 5 miles from my main hunting spot. Would make most wonder about heading through the pasture to their tree stand down along the river with nothing more than an osage selfbow and 1/2 dozen arrows in total darkness. Still wish you the best of luck.

28-Dec-22
Brian I’ve never seen a mountain lion in the wild but if I thought there was one close…yeah I think I would be toting more than just a self bow. All I’ve ever heard was most of em is just as scared of you as you are of them. Well…there’s always that one.

28-Dec-22
You had me for about 5 seconds, but with no follow up pictures and no further details about the sighting and experience of seeing it, I figured you were trolling for suckers.

Your picture of the bobcat is what 99.95% of the people who think they've seen a cougar in Kansas actually saw. I guarantee you that your picture was harvested and sent around to other people as proof that they are here. Cougar on the brain is at pandemic level in Kansas.

28-Dec-22

7:13…dang Randy I wished I would have kept it going now. Those opportunities are hard to come by and to think I could have gotten you, Kyle, Braun, and Thornton all in one little swoop. Man that would’ve given me grins and soft chuckles all through next spring and summer as I sat with Erica sipping on sweet tea in the evenings on the back deck.

Well hate to miss mornings but I only got one more area to check out and the way I have to enter it’s mainly an evening spot. Decided to drive by there right at daylight to see what I could see. Bam…right as I get there I see a deer moving across. Catch movement of another and throw the zoom glasses up. Could be a good one fellas…too far away to really tell but had some height to his horns and pretty good size looking body. Seen enough and didn’t even finish my drive through the road there. Just backed up and got out of there. They was headed where I thought they would be going and that’s where I’ll be at this evening trying to catch them coming back out.

28-Dec-22

Catscratch's embedded Photo
Catscratch's embedded Photo
You should have dragged us along a little longer. My first thought looking at the pic was bobcat but when I read cougar I just went with it and didn't even look at the pic again. $50k to win a cat contest? Dang that's a lot. I'm sure I've posted this pic before but here's the biggest cat I've ever trapped. The kid is 6'1 for reference.

Good luck tonight! Maybe the one you glassed this morning will still be around this evening.

28-Dec-22
Yeah Cat I’m pretty sure that cat would win you 50k. That’s a big en for sure…did you weigh him?

Yeah it’s starting to warm up some but I think I have a decent shot of seeing him or something else this evening. Problem I got and it’s a big one….wrong wind. Was going to hunt that side yesterday but didn’t cause of the wind. There’s 2 or 3 draws that extend out into the cut corn. The place to the north looks good with timber and CRP and I have a feeling that’s where they’re bedded and using the draws running south to get to the cut corn and across the road…cut beans. Going to be tricky with the south wind but on map I think I have a spot that just might work. Never been there so we’ll see.

28-Dec-22
A lotof bucks are shot in an "almost" wrong wind. It's blowing damn strong from the south in my part of ks. Did not weigh or measure him. Wish I would have.

28-Dec-22
Good luck! I wish I was still out chasing them. Might wander down to Oklahoma next week to try.

28-Dec-22

3:45….thanks guys. Since this was new to me it took awhile to try and figure out their trails through this ravine. Probably put my scent everywhere but what do you do. Snow has pretty much melted…been a lot easier if it hadn’t. I could have just looked afar.

Got a short grass dirt field behind me with trails coming across to my left and right within shooting range. Their going to be coming from the back of me downwind but I’m hoping they come at an angle. If they do by the time they get here my wind should be already past them. Got cut corn on the other side of the ravine with with cut beans on past that on the other side of road. Let’s see what happens.

28-Dec-22
Nothing.

28-Dec-22
Dang it .

29-Dec-22
Probably went to someone's cheater pile instead

29-Dec-22
Actually Randy I haven’t seen any evidence of that going on in this area around here. About to head out…probably go to the same spot or real close to where I was yesterday evening. Looks pretty good there.

29-Dec-22

Well didn’t see any deer but when you get to see a sunrise like this and you’re not hungry there’s nothing to complain about.

29-Dec-22
Awesome pic! Stay strong

30-Dec-22
6:40…sit en drinking coffee with my friend here in Iowa. He let me sleep in this morning.

Stick around folks cause we might have a great hunt this evening. Between this coffee and being told when I was young I could become anything I wanted my motivation is high. Going to call the game warden here in a bit to see if there is someway I can bow hunt today without a tag or if he can give me one. Looks really good over here.

30-Dec-22

3:01….. well I trimmed my nails and got all cleaned up cause I thought I might have a chance to sit at the feet of the rich man’s table this evening. The Iowa Game Warden said I couldn’t though…something about not having the right pedigree or blood or something. Said Mutts ain’t allowed. So I got kicked out of there and had to swim back across the Missouri with my tail tucked.

So here I sit back amongst the common folk wet and tired. Feels good to be back where I feel wanted and where I probably belong anyway. Might not be a steak that falls off the table but this stray dog will be happy with an old bone….yep literally just an old bone will be just fine.

30-Dec-22
No scraps for me but sure had a good time.

30-Dec-22
Was a good read bud, one more day

30-Dec-22
Last hour, last day? It happens. Plain for you.

02-Jan-23

Well it happened to be last evening sit but not the last sit. Thought I would let y’all see the last sunrise of 2022. When I seen that the golden color of the horizon and clouds matched the color of the leaves in front of me I knew I had to take a pic to preserve the memory. It was a day I’ll never will forget.

A friend of mine talked me into stopping by and hunting with him on the last day. Since I didn’t feel like making the all night drive back home I woke up from the motel and met him. Still can’t believe how nice some people are in Kansas. Told him I wouldn’t feel right about shooting a buck on his personal place but he said it wouldn’t be a problem. Since he said doe numbers were still good I thought I would just try for a doe. Around 7:30 had this doe come behind me but just my luck she had her young one with her so that was a no go.

No more sightings for the rest of the morning. Decided to not hunt the evening…was wanting to get home in time to spend New Years Eve with the family.

Too I was needing to get out of Kansas cause I thought all the niceness from everybody might start rubbing off on me. Gotta keep a little mean edge on me cause if I get home a changed man it might freak Erica out:?)

I might add too my friend went hunting that evening and got a beautiful buck. Couldn’t believe it cause he showed me all the different spots on the place after the mornings hunt. It was a surreal feeling to get a big buck pic on the ground with the tree stand in the back ground. A tree stand that he just showed me a few hours earlier. Pretty special moment.

Again if you ever read this my friend…thank you for allowing me to hunt your place the other morning and congrats on a dandy buck. You put me in a great stand that morning and later you told me you was going to put me in that stand that you shot him out of for the evening sit.

So glad I didn’t stay cause a good guy like you deserves a good deer. Just to let you know when I got that pic from you it was a good way to close out 2022 and a memory I’ll keep forever. It was just like like that sunrise from a few hours earlier…pretty darn golden.

02-Jan-23
My last post should have read, Pulling for you, not plain for you. I guess I better proof read before I hit the send button lol.

It’s been fun following along again this year. I admire your standards, and the amount of effort you are willing to put in the hunt.

Hope you have a safe and prosperous New Year, and hopefully you get back up next season.

02-Jan-23
Glad he got himself a deer! Congrats! Nothing like the last hour of the last day. My wife still accuses me of shooting deer on New Year's eve just to mess up her plans. Haven't done it a decade but she doesn't forget!

02-Jan-23
Thanks for taking us along on your hunting adventures this year from the creation of Pip-Squeak, to living 2-3 weeks with a Vampire, of course the BobLion sighting and Last Memories of 2022. Enjoyed following along!

03-Jan-23
Your hunts are very interesting, unfortunately there is no snow where I can only play diggy but I also want to hunt animals in the forest in winter.

03-Jan-23
"In the forest" LOL...Happy New Year and thanks for posting the hunts!

03-Jan-23
Don’t be playing with the “diggy” boys, it’s a trap.

03-Jan-23

5ks's embedded Photo
5ks's embedded Photo

03-Jan-23
5ks…..Wow…didn’t know a “snow monkey” could climb that tall of a tree?

03-Jan-23
picture didn't rotate

• Sitka Gear