doubledrop 30-Dec-22
doubledrop 30-Dec-22
be still 30-Dec-22
MDW 01-Jan-23
KSflatlander 01-Jan-23
KSflatlander 01-Jan-23
Otownlongbeard 01-Jan-23
30-Dec-22
Who else is still holding a buck tag and hoping to get it done? I have killed 3 bucks in December 31, including my biggest. I would rather have cold weather and snow, but it ain’t over til 30 minutes after sundown tomorrow. Maybe I am such a poor hunter I need the whole season!

30-Dec-22
During some winter boredom a couple years ago I tallied the dates of harvest for the Pope and Young top 100 typical and top 100 non typical bucks in Kansas. December 31st had more entries than 14 days of November had. ‘Taint over indeed.

30-Dec-22
I am going out in a couple of hours. I may be able to get out again tomorrow afternoon. The latest I have gotten a buck was 12-24. Some years I have seen good action until the end.

30-Dec-22
I'll be giving it the ol' final attempt as well. Jumped a buck yesterday and actually heard his antler fall off even with the strong winds. I filmed him for a few minutes with the fresh bloody base as he only bounded a few yards on the opposite side of a tree row. I was really scouting for tonight's sit. The winds were strong enough that had he been a shooter, I think I could have pulled off a short stalk on him as he was only startled by another young buck busting out sooner. Probably the freshest shed I have ever picked up.

Saw a ton of does yarded up on the evening sit last night and a few of those also looked like possible shed bucks. I sure hope not. Have heard a lot of talk about early drop year, but it seems like we hear that every year. The cold blast we just came out of would make me a believer. It's definitely not over till' it's over. It's been a fun but long season! I feel like a buck worn down from it all, but am too stubborn to give in. Good luck all!

30-Dec-22

doubledrop's embedded Photo
doubledrop's embedded Photo

30-Dec-22
Dylan I always wondered if I ever would by for be a shed by jumping up a buck…that’s pretty cool.

This probably will be my last evening sit. Good luck to everybody still out.

01-Jan-23
Well, made it out for last evenings hunt, or maybe I should say sit as I didn't see a deer within a hundred yards of my stand. It appeared that some deer were moving early, as I saw eight as I drove out, then bumped two as I walked in. At very last light, I saw eight shapes moving waaaay out in an open pasture. They would have been a five hundred yard rifle shot! By sunset, the wind had died down to nothing with a beautiful sunset. What more can a person ask for, without blood on the ground?

Happy New Year to everyone!

01-Jan-23

KSflatlander's embedded Photo
I was out yesterday morning and seen 5 bucks and 7 does. I had 3 bucks sparing for 30 minutes within 40-50 yards. One of the bucks and barely visible horns. Great hunt. The evening of the 30th I had a big 8 by come at 20 yards but I filled my tag in late October. The screenshot doesn’t do him justice. He had good mass. I hope to see him next year.

01-Jan-23

Here’s a screenshot of the 3 bucks sparing.

01-Jan-23
I didn't really even start hunting till rifle season and have hunted the last few weeks. Its been nice, seems like everyone hangs it up by or after rifle season. I hunted from the ground and I had a lot of success rattling the last couple weeks. Several nice bucks spawned out of nowhere, one of which was a 150ish a mere 10 yards behind me. He didnt stick around long though. Couple of them showed up so fast I wasn't ready and never could get a good shot. I went last night, had a young 8 pointer dead to rights and 7-8 yards, but let him go. Highly doubt I bother with hunting for a doe.

• Sitka Gear