Cazador 08-Jan-23
Bow Bullet 08-Jan-23
Cazador 08-Jan-23
cnelk 08-Jan-23
Bourque77 09-Jan-23
jordanathome 18-Jan-23
Jaquomo 18-Jan-23
02-Jan-23
My brother from eastern SoDak is coming to visit sometime in Feb or early Mar. He's a diehard ice fisherman and usually slays the crappie, perch and walleye. He just got home from a Lake of the Woods trip and they caught a bunch of walleye and sauger. He wants to catch some trout and/or salmon while he's here. I am not much of a fisherman and have only ice fished 3 or 4 times and not in CO. I don't have much of an idea where to take him and no clue as too what to use for lures or bait. He'll be bringing all the gear - pop-up shelter, rods, tackle, auger, Vexlar, etc. I'm hoping I can get some pointers on where I might take him to have a good chance of catching fish (my bad karma not withstanding), preferably within a couple hours of Loveland. Something around Red Feather maybe? Lakes would need to be reachable directly by vehicle because he's not all that mobile and not up to dragging a sled very far. And recommendations on how we might rig up, depth to try, or any other advice would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to pm if you prefer.

02-Jan-23
Dowdy is loaded with fish. I always catch 30-40 in a day of ice fishing there (all stockers). A small orange trout trap tipped with power bait or a meal worm does the trick.

02-Jan-23

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
If you want bigger ones than Dowdy (mostly) produces, go a couple hours west to Lake John. You can rent small cabins there or stay in a motel in Walden. Water is clear and you can sight fish, and there are big fish.

If you want big fish closer to Loveland, the private lakes I manage just west of Red Feather produce much bigger fish than Dowdy, average 17" with plenty bigger. It costs $40 a day but no license required and theres no daily fee like Dowdy, so it's close to a wash. You can drive right to the lakes. Here's a typical fish from a couple days ago.

02-Jan-23
Forgot to add that a property owner (me) needs to "sponsor" you with a permission letter. You can then get daily passes online. If I'm around, I'll fish with you.

02-Jan-23
Thanks Jeff and Lou.

Jeff, what's a typical size you catch at Dowdy?

Lou, that sounds real interesting. He's also bringing his better half and she'll be fishing too so there'd be 3 of us. I'll have to see how many days he is thinking they want to fish and whether they might be interested in taking you up on the offer. And I saw your post about that fish on a thread a while back. What's it called again?

02-Jan-23

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I can give you a couple coordinates for Lake Granby that you can walk out and catch big lake trout.

02-Jan-23
That's a palomino rainbow. We have those up to about 24", regular rainbows, browns, brooks, cuttbows, and some tiger trout (brookie-brown cross). 19-20"+ rainbows are pretty much a daily thing if the fish are moving.

We mostly fish from 4-12' deep and sight fish from portable huts. If we go deeper in midday to find suspended fish I bring out the Vexilar. A 1" pink-white tube jig or hot pink rat finkee is all you need with or without a half mealworm for some scent.

If you want an outing you can rent one of the cabins in Red Feather Village, fish our lakes for a day and Dowdy for a day. There are a couple good restaurants here too.

You won't catch the numbers here that you will get in Dowdy (at least ice fishing - we regularly have 30+ fish days each fly fishing in open water) but you will catch bigger fish. If the fish are moving and you/he knows what you are doing, 15-20 fish are very doable, with a few 20"+ and most of the rest 15-19". Rare to catch one under 14". We have a 3 fish per person limit. Dowdy is 4.

02-Jan-23
Damn nice fish Brad. The last time I ice fished was for lakers with my brothers up at Ft Peck reservoir in MT. We got skunked. :( I'll throw the Granby option his way and see what he thinks.

03-Jan-23
Dowdy fish are typically 9-12 inches with a little bigger occasionally.

03-Jan-23
Thanks Jeff

03-Jan-23
looking at your friend's fish reminds me of the story "the old fisherman and the goldfish" when I was a kid I used to read fairy tales like that and play dynamons world where do you fish, next time you can invite me along okay?

03-Jan-23
We use trolls for bait where I fish.

04-Jan-23
Yeah Lou, he won't get any bites with that stinkbait

05-Jan-23
Speaking of Ice Fishing! When Tricia and I owned and operated a tourist lodge on Lake Granby, famous for lake trout, two guys from Texas came in during the Feb freeze up and asked where to fish. I took them to the window facing the ice covered lake and pointed to a few spots where I had been successful. Off they went.

Near dark and many hours later the two came back to the lodge, a little worn out from their outing.

Of course I asked them how was the fishing and in return got a strange response that I will always remember. "Well, in a deep Texas speak, " it took us so long to chain saw a long and wide path in the ice to put the boat in, we never got to fish. Maybe next time we will bring explosives!"

Tricia and I looked at each other and just shook our heads in disbelief.

A few years later, these two Texans returned but this time, they had explosives, yea, like sticks of dynamite. We also noticed that they had brought along a Labrador Retriever as a companion. Off they all went and an hour later I see them driving their old Suburban out across the lake to one of the places I had suggested. Yea, one of my Honey Holes!

I did not see it happen but heard the explosion. Later I found out from a near by fisherman that he saw them park the Suburban, go to the back of the car, and take something from a box. Then he sees something smoking in one of the guys hand, sees him throw this smoking object as far as he could and then both of the guy ducked behind the car. He also noticed that the side door on the Suburban had been left open and a soon as the smoking object hit the ice, out jumps the Labrador and it races across the ice, picks up the object, returns back and jumps in the car. All this guy heard was yelling from the Texans, "NO, NO, NO, stop, stop, stop, and then there was the explosion. Yea, a hole big enough to put a boat in or to sink a ship like a Suburban. Next time I will never tell of my Honey Holes!

PS, Fortunately, the opposite door on the Suburban was open, and after the Lab dropped the explosives in the car, he jumped out just in time and was last seen heading for shore. The two Texans was not as fortunate. "GOD BLESS TEXAS ".

06-Jan-23

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Another great morning watching my wife outfish me in a hole 3 feet away from mine.. She saw 4-5 for every one I saw, and all but two hit. I've created a monster!.. no long-arm on this one either. :-)

06-Jan-23
Smoked lake trout is THE BEST!!!! drooooollllllll......

06-Jan-23
I think my brother will drool to when he sees the pics.

06-Jan-23
Paul, that sounds way too wacky to be true but if it is, it was hilarious up until the dog part.

06-Jan-23
Love it Lou. Tell Paige congrats!

06-Jan-23
Paul, I first heard those two stories when I was a kid, like, 100 years ago! ;-)

Matt, we fished the same spot I fished with you guys last week, about 5' of water, but today they were really moving. She caught a hook jawed football male about the same size as this female but put it back before I could get a pic. I also had a muskrat come into the hut and had to kick him in the head to get him to go back down the hole. A good day!

08-Jan-23

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Been a real good year on front range for these….. prefer them over the slimers.

Front range lakes are good for trout as well, granby is fun for lakers but unless someone shows you the ropes, they can be very hard to catch.

08-Jan-23
Caz, I live very close to Boyd (Seven Lakes subdivision). Do you know how the fishing has been there?

08-Jan-23
@Bull, I have t fished it in years when I did it was always good, but it’s pretty much 12-15 inch rainbows. If you wanted to try, go to the marina, fish out front, or slightly north off that first peninsula. 10-15 feet of water.

If you can swing it, head down to South Park and dish Antero and 11 Mile, spend the night. Both are fishing good. You guys could call some coyotes as well. I don’t fish travel much for trout these days as I’d prefer to catch Walleye amd Perch so I try to keep them off which can be hard to do. I’ll send you a note.

08-Jan-23

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I went up caught some fat cutbows today. Nice fillets just like salmon

Right next to my truck

09-Jan-23
Eleven Mile and Antero....2 weeks ago, Eleven Mile, spent 25 hours on the ice. Caught 3 decent rainbows Fri afternoon, then nothing for the next 16 hours. (Spent the night in my hut on the ice, cot and sleeping bag.) A few other fish were observed being caught Friday, but Saturday was a big bust for most all.

This last Sat, took nephew's kid, 12, to Antero. Arrived early. Probably 200 other anglers on the north end. Most were in their huts, but weather was so nice, warm and no wind, that many came out to fish in the open. In 3 hours, we never saw a fish. Never saw another fish caught, no one running to their rods, no hootin' and hollerin'. Lots of guys out with their augers digging new holes, looking for the fish. Fish were hiding.

Decided to take the kid to Tarryall, just a few miles out of the way home. Tarryal known for lots and lots of small fish. This was gonna be a slam dunk! 5 hours there, no fish. Saw a few, very few, caught.

Stopped at McDonalds on the way home, ordered a fish sandwich. Figured that was going to be the closest I got to a fish that day.

Maybe I've been watching too many YouTube videos?

18-Jan-23

jordanathome's Link
I love wild caught fish but damn........

18-Jan-23
Didn't make the claim that PFAs cause global warming, so look on the bright side!

• Sitka Gear