Orion 05-Jan-23
Shaft2Long 05-Jan-23
SBC 06-Jan-23
Paul@thefort 06-Jan-23
Orion 06-Jan-23
Shaft2Long 06-Jan-23
jordanathome 06-Jan-23
05-Jan-23
I’ll get right to it, I’m from New Mexico, I’m going to hunt non res bear in CO next year. Who wants to give me a honey hole? Yep, I’m gonna go bold here.

Yes, I can hunt bears in NM.

Yes, I will but I have until November to do it.

I’m doing CO for bear to increase hunting opportunity. I can’t draw a tag in NM to save my life anymore. I hunt exclusively with a bow and I’m tired of all the tweeking, tuning and practice only to see red in July.

I’m gonna do a bear hunt and some public land whitetails somewhere. Past experience says looking ahead right now is a good idea.

If you want to send a private message I’ll keep the info to myself, I hunt solo.

Thank you for your consideration.

05-Jan-23
Delete duplicate post.

05-Jan-23

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Lets clarify. As you might know, all deer licenses are draw in Colorado so hunting WTs might not be a fact for you as the fast majority of WT deer are east of I-25. Bear populations in southern Colorado are the highest and most bears are killed during the Sept archer, ML rifle and early rifle bear season. Success percentage is less that 6%. I archery killed my bear in late Sept. west of Durango in Cherry Creek, Nat Forest. using a predator call.

05-Jan-23
Appreciate it, thanks. The whitetail hunting won’t be Colorado. There are A LOT of states that are happy to take money OTC for that.

05-Jan-23
There are no secrets for bears they are easy to kill. Pick a unit find acorns, water, and chokecherries and kill a bear. Heck my daughter and I killed 3 in two days last year.

05-Jan-23
Right on, sounds good.

06-Jan-23
Do as Orion says. My success rate is ~50% Disclaimer: I'm fortunate to hunt in a concentrated bear area on private property and I use a rifle.

06-Jan-23

Easy for some hunters, much harder for all others.

2021 State wide bear harvest, all methods of take.

33,396 tag holders killed 942 boars, 532 sows for a total of 1475 and success was 4%

Sept bear season all manners of take.

22,553 hunter killed 818 boars, 484 sows for a total of 1303 bears, == 6% success

The major bear harvest was in September.

06-Jan-23
If you commit yourself to just hunting bears in September you will kill one. I would take Paul's success rates with a grain of salt. A lot of guys buy a tag to have while elk hunting and don't really hunt for bears.

06-Jan-23
Thank you guys. I may be surprised with an elk tag later in the year but I seriously doubt it.

I’ve avoided killing bears in the past, I just kinda like them. Put a stalk on a real nice cinnamon phase last year, didn’t kill it, and was kind of hooked.

06-Jan-23
I had two different bears on two different consecutive mornings in Unit 34 off Coffee Pot Road during elk archery season 2022. One at 20...the other at 12 yards. The one at 12 was a mature bear, 300lb plus. Thought it wanted to cuddle but finally it moved on. The one at 20 had a blond phase back. We saw at least 3 other bears that season in 34 along coffee pot road.

• Sitka Gear