StickFlicker 03-Feb-23
CTBobcat 06-Feb-23
Sparky 07-Mar-23
elktrax 07-Mar-23
Sparky 07-Mar-23
BOHNTR 07-Mar-23
Sparky 07-Mar-23
06-Jan-23
The regs are up on the website. Draw isn't open as of yet.

08-Jan-23

Chuckster's Link

09-Jan-23
Now I need them to open the draw before I go out of the country.

Terry

10-Jan-23
They just opened up the draw. F&G must have seen my comment. Got it done.

Terry

16-Jan-23
I entered the draw and browsed my account status on what I have applied for. Nothing on there for this years draw but have my listings for all the years past. Is this normal?

18-Jan-23
Yes….same as every year

02-Feb-23
My Dad has a non-hunting friend who lives in Payson, says there are lots of elk on public. I did some research and looks like he's talking about unit 22? But, is it possible to even draw a tag? We are from CT with 0 preference points. I last hunted Arizona in 2012 for mountain lion. Thanks to anyone who can help!

02-Feb-23
CTBobcat, First, Arizona doesn't have preference points it has bonus points. There's quite a big difference. If you don't know the difference, that is where you should start. That being said, in a bonus point drawing there is always a chance (as long as you don't put in for a hunt that has some other rule that prohibits a NR from getting a tag at all, which is more likely to happen on species other than elk). Also, other than Indian reservations, almost all of Arizona is public land (and some private land that normally is open to public hunting), so unless you know a direction from Payson, the "public land" filter would not narrow it down to Unit 22. Almost every direction from Payson is a different unit within a short drive.

In Arizona, UP TO 10% of tags of any given hunt number can go to NRs, with no more than 5% going to those with the most bonus points. That leaves the other (up to) 5% to be distributed in the completely random part of the drawing, although those with more points will effectively have their name in the random drawing more times and have better odds. So, you will always have a chance, but due to the large number of applicants that want to hunt elk, you will have a pretty low chance until you build some points.

03-Feb-23
Thanks StickFlicker and sorry for using the wrong terminology. I buy PP's every year in Wyoming since they are simply buying points. If i remember right in AZ you need to buy license to buy a point, so it makes them much for expensive each year and I never bothered.

03-Feb-23
I wasn't trying to chastize you for using the wrong term, it's just important to know the difference because it's a tremendously important difference if you are going to play the points game in western states. You're correct, you have to buy the license first. You can thank New Mexico guides for that one. When they sued Arizona to try to get equal rights to AZ tags as AZ residents had, that was AZ G&F response to try to keep NR applications in check if the courts ruled that we had to give NRs an equal chance to apply for tags.

06-Feb-23
Thanks, I'll pass.

07-Mar-23
CC hit for elk

07-Mar-23
Congrats Spark..

07-Mar-23
1st hit at 8:50 this morning was wife's elk, then grandson hit at 11:29 for youth elk.

07-Mar-23
Wife most likely drew archery bull

07-Mar-23
This is gettin a little crazy. Just got 3rd card hit for elk at 3:52 (1st wife, then grandson, and now me).

• Sitka Gear