Arrownoob 09-Jan-23
hickstick 10-Jan-23
Z9_MA 10-Jan-23
Lunker 10-Jan-23
Deerdawg 12-Jan-23
Big Dog 12-Jan-23
Will 12-Jan-23
08-Jan-23
Setting a new stand in a triple maple and I am thinking about using camo burlap for a back drop or cover but not have ever used it not sure how to set it up. How high how low I'm thinking I don't want it flapping in the wind. I should be able to stand and shoot over it right ? Your thoughts would b greatly appreciated

08-Jan-23
We have ladder stands on our bear baits, and i got some sort of camouflage netting and hung it down from the shooting rails. Learned two things—first, it’s worthwhile to attach a stick or a thin board along the bottom (free-hanging) edge. This keeps it from blowing around. Second, I don’t think it’s worth the trouble. Just my gut feeling, for what it’s worth, I don’t think it provides much benefit.

08-Jan-23
We have one wrapped around the double I sit in with my daughter and helps hide movement we feel.

08-Jan-23
Definately helps hide movement like mrw says. Jeb in your case your probably right about not doing much for bears. Most stands I’ve ever seen for bears are ladders and not camouflaged in anyway. Because your typically only getting a shot once the bear is focused on the bait barrel. That’s from N.Maine and Canada experience. But bears are bears right?

08-Jan-23

DanaC's Link

09-Jan-23
I should’ve been more clear. I think that in order to provide meaningful cover, the burlap/netting would have to come up so high that it would interfere with shooting. In our case, the netting only provides cover up to about mid-gut, when seated. Very little of my movement is at or below that level. Nose-picking, harmonica-playing, etc, are all up at head level. But on a positive note I will admit that sometimes the netting keeps the breeze from going up my skirt.

09-Jan-23
We have a couple stands with burlap wrapped around and secured to shooting rail with wire. One thing,dont wrap too tight or it will be tuf climbing thru to platform. PROS: It does provide a liil protection from wind & cover for the fiddle factor while in stand. CONS: with burlap, your tree stand will be more visible to joe public. If I go for a hike this weekend, will try to snap a photo.

09-Jan-23
Z9 that was always my main concern is the human factor. That is why I've never used it and have picked it out in the woods before. Being in quite heavily populated in zone 11 I finally found a spot with no dirt bike trails and no PEOPLE trails. None. It's a thick ASS smelly swamp. I think I can finally get away with it. I'm also thinkin less is more so if I can just cover (while sitting) from my shoulders down at an angle. So like a triangle it will give me a small edge for deer. Sneaking in from behind. Also would break up my outline from the front. With that being said I'm gonna still have to be able to climb in to. So there's that.

09-Jan-23
I should also mention it's a hang on not a ladder with rails. The camo burlap would b connected to the tree. And the tree does move. I noticed that the other day.

09-Jan-23
In that situation more of a PITA than it's worth especially after freezing rain etc. With decent background and remaining still on stand I think the burlap is overkill with a hang on in a triple tree.

09-Jan-23
So the hang on is in the inside of a triple tree and you’ll wrap the outside?

09-Jan-23
Slightly different idea. Unless you have burlap you are going to use already. Just go to a craft store and buy some of the "leafy" wires they sell to decorate and use those OR if you see someone tossing an old fake xmas tree, ask if you can have it, and use the branches - just paracord tie them to the tree or sip tie them. Less intrusive visually for humans and gives you great cover.

09-Jan-23
Noob. No I am in the middle of a triple pretty sure I'm not going to wrap the outside. It would go on the inside with the idea that less is more. Will. Have you gone to a craft store to look at fake vines and such ? I have and they are super expensive. I have picked some out of the trash over the years but they do not weather well. I have one stand I found a bunch of leafy vines in the trash and tie wired them all over my stand. It looked great for a month. Now that stand has a bunch of wire vines and tie wire attached to it. Kinda looks ok the straight lines are broken up. As far as the Christmas trees. I have a stockpile and 1 in the truck. I got a pile of fake Christmas tree branches in the back yard.

09-Jan-23

fisherick's embedded Photo
fisherick's embedded Photo
This is a two man ladder stand framed with light gage fencing and wrapped with camo material for cover and wind protection on private land. I use it for gun season.

09-Jan-23
Someone posted a link to some new company and one product they had was a chain with little sections of pipe in it and you put little sticks in there for cover. The only problem is I can’t remember what the original post was about.

10-Jan-23
I hunted out of one like fisherick posted down in NC with the rifle it other than the moldy smell, it worked great for hiding hand movements etc. I was able to film 3 different deer within 40 yards and lift my binos to check for points, etc. but doing it around a hang on sounds like a pia. (holy sense memory batman - I can actually still smell that moldy smell right now...lol)

when I used to use hangons, I would ocassionally ziptie evergreen (usually white pine which we have a ton of around my spots) branches to the underside of the stand...they would last at least for a season before browning up...but now that I'm in the saddle, using the trunk for cover is all I really need.

10-Jan-23

Z9_MA's embedded Photo
Z9_MA's embedded Photo
On the idea of noob’s. Seen this kind of add-on for stands while surfing. Maybe an option

10-Jan-23
Now z9r and noob now we're cook in ! Just looked at pine ridge archery. Lots of good ideas but after reading reviews I think I'll make them myself. Great idea. That site has some cool swag

12-Jan-23
Camo fabric depot has all kinds of camo patterns on material, check it out

12-Jan-23
If you're in a triple and have to draw your bow I think there will be more movement with burlap while standing and drawing as opposed to remaining seated and drawing all the while careful to clear the burlap with the bow. I can't see the benefit.

12-Jan-23
Ok, seeing that thing Z9 posted (very cool idea), how about a "DIY" option. small ratchet strap, drill a hole in some sections of PVC pipe and slide the strap through. Then attach to your stand (paint the pipe sections a drab color) and then just slide in some little branches (assuming legal). You could do that on a tree trunk too, and just put in new branches now and then if the needles/leaves fall off.

• Sitka Gear