Will 17-Jan-23
Jebediah 17-Jan-23
DanaC 17-Jan-23
Will 17-Jan-23
Big Dog 20-Jan-23
matt-r0 22-Jan-23
DanaC 23-Jan-23
12-Jan-23
I know this is bowsite but I also know you guys know a thing or two, hence this post.

I'm looking to get a shotgun for turkey. But, I don't really know where to start - I've never owned or much used guns. So, I'm hoping some of you might be able to chime in with your recommendations for a good shotgun for turkey, and why you are recommending that so I can start to figure out what to be looking for.

Thanks.

12-Jan-23
I use a Winchester model 97 that was my grandfathers and was made in 1926. It shoots one, usually two turkeys every year for the past twenty years. I say that only to show it really doesn't matter. Sounds like this might be a first shotgun. No need to buy an expensive "specialized Turkey gun". Buy any major brand 12 gauge pump with a full choke. Those can be had used for a decent price. You will be able to buy other barrels if you want to expand your gun hunting for other critters. The only thing that matters is a full choke. And even that is not an absolute requirement.

12-Jan-23
What else do you hunt, or want to hunt? I'd look for a multi species shotgun, i.e. a smooth bore that you can put slugs, small game and waterfowl shot through. Something like a Mossburg 500 in 12ga pump. It's what I've used for everything from squirrels to deer. Plenty for bear and moose too. An extra rifled barrel with scope down the road will cover everything.

Currently I use an old second hand side by side double barrel 12ga.

12-Jan-23
Thanks Tekoa - yup this'd be a first shotgun purchase and I'm definitely not looking for anything fancy.

12-Jan-23
Remington 870 with 'slug' and 'bird' barrels. Endless customization options if you decide to go that route later. Won't break the bank, millions sold, reliable. (No I don't own one but I know many who do and have used them for decades.)

12-Jan-23
I have an over under silver reserve 2 with some cheap fiber optic sights. a remi 870 seems like a good versatile option. You can switch out barrels and use it for waterfowl, Turkey, small game, deer. There’s something to be said for a dedicated turkey gun with a red dot if you have extra room in your gun safe.

13-Jan-23
From the OP - "I don't really know where to start - I've never owned or much used guns. "

Start here - Do NOT let the gun shop sell you a semi-automatic. Period. Never mind 'they recoil less' or 'faster follow-up' blah-blah-blah. Pumps have been around for 125+ years, and I know guys who still shoot 100 year old models (like Tekoa's model 97.)

(Note - if you ARE an 'experienced' gunner, feel free to ignore this. Or argue it. I love to argue guns ;-) )

13-Jan-23
Yea I use a Remington 870 field combo . Comes with a rifled slug barrel and a bird barrel . I put a red dot on it for when I Turkey and coyote hunt . Great turkey gun

13-Jan-23
DanaC, nope not experienced you are correct. Part of why I asked you all is because I don't want to be talked into something I don't need.

Currently I just deer hunt, bow-only. Adding spring turkey to the rotation seems like it'd be fun

Lots of good info so far

13-Jan-23
I have no idea who he consulted on this, but one of my kids just got a Mossberg semi 12ga. Not a gun guy myself, for sure, but I can tell you—that gun is light as a feather and shoots like a dream.

13-Jan-23
I’m also a semi guy. Used a rem 11-87 for years. Then went to the binelli sbe. Now with the different shot you can use, guys are going to 20 guage and .410. I would recommend a 20 guage. No need to carry around a 12 these days. Pump or semi is your preference but they have pros and cons either way

13-Jan-23
Rut x2. With the ammo available people are slamming Tom’s with a 410 at 30 yards. I picked up a 410 turkey gun for my kids last year cuz my finger was itchy to buy a new gun. I might break it in this year. Idk if it can wait until my oldest is ready lol.

13-Jan-23
In my opinion a 12 is superior to a 20ga for a turkey gun. I own both, have tested both, shot at targets and birds with both. My range on my 12 reaches out farther than the 20 so if you’re just looking to start turkey hunting it’s a good option to have more oomph. I’m shooting longbeard xr with both, and both with Carlson longbeard xr chokes.

13-Jan-23
With TSS shot there is no reason to carry a 12 anymore. Carried them for years but I’m now a .410 guy. If you’re a run and gun turkey hunter like myself, you’ll appreciate carrying less gun. I also used to shoot 3 1/2” which I don’t wish that on anyone

13-Jan-23
a) 12 gauge turkey ammo is easier to find. b) you don't actually need super-expensive 12 gauge loads to shoot turkeys. (You DO need stuff you can afford to practice with.) c) turkey choke tubes are easy to find in 12 gauge.

The OP says he's not a gun guy, KISS Principle should apply here. So - 12 gauge Remington 870. Put fiber optic sights on it, get a .665 choke tube, use number 4-6 shot. Keep shots close. Kill um.

13-Jan-23
I shot 3.5s one year in a pinch during COVID….I have a box and a half left burried in my ammo Safe lol

13-Jan-23
Looked at the price of those TSS shells, boggles the mind.

13-Jan-23
Highly recommend the Remington 870. It's a truck! It's the only field gun you could skeet shoot with on a regular basis and not blow apart. That's unheard of for field guns. It's not bank breaking and will outlive you.

13-Jan-23
Matt, what part of MA you from? I may be selling a Rem 870 Supermag with slug barrel and bird barrel with a red dot scope.

13-Jan-23
^^^ Jump on that!

13-Jan-23
Lots of good recommendations in here so far, thanks. And wow those TSS do seem expensive. Gotta admit I am one of those people who shoot questionably costly arrows but at least they're reusable.

Spike, I'm in the Wrentham/Franklin area, and work up by Marlboro.

13-Jan-23
The price of TSS is worth the time I spend chasing the bird. Especially in the big woods where there isn’t a bird on every tree at night. $10-$16 seems steep but if you paid to go get your “turkey Slam” bird and your ammo didn’t do they job you’d wish you used those TSS loads. I’ve seen a 410 knock a bird stone dead at 25 yards. Didn’t move a muscle.

13-Jan-23
I've shot turkey with Mossberg 500 pump and all went well. I have noticed over the years Rem. 870 action to be smooth and reliable where ,on ocassion, some of the Mossbergs pump action would get sticky. They may have corrected this on the new ones. Can't beat their price,however, and it's the all -important first shot that counts.

13-Jan-23
If you want a "I might do anything with that" gun and not break the bank... winchester sxp, Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 all fit the bill and can hunt anything. Most can be found with two barrels - a turkey and standard barrel.

13-Jan-23
I’m in the same club as Mapa. In my life it goes daughter, turkey hunting then wife. I’ll admit that I go way overboard with everything turkey hunting related and spend more than I probably need to. Like Mapa said I want my best chance at killing a bird hands down and that for me is TSS. It is the best product that has come about in years. A total game changer. I know it’s not for everyone but not everyone has an addiction that I do. I’m currently working on my super slam and heading to OR for Rios this spring. It’ll be TSS and no less

13-Jan-23
What's the quick summary of TSS benefits? Shoots further, hits harder, patterns better?

13-Jan-23

Rut-N-Strut's embedded Photo

13-Jan-23
Pretty much sums it up

13-Jan-23
Good summary. .410 legal in ma?

13-Jan-23
It is legal. I killed a bird in FL and two in MA last year with my $200 youth Charles Daly .410. You can basically fit the thing in your pocket. Love it

13-Jan-23
Rut have you got your oscillated yet!?

13-Jan-23
Surprisingly I’m not very interested in the oscillated. Whether it’s the fact they don’t gobble or it’s a guided hunt, something about it just doesn’t appeal to me. I know it’s on most turkey hunters bucket list but no thanks. Maybe someday I’ll change my mind. My father did complete his world slam about ten years ago. I know where my addiction came from. I still need the goulds for my royal slam. This year with the Rios I’ll be going for my sixth grand slam. Again, the super slam is what my ultimate goal is and I do it all for my own personal satisfaction. I’m just as happy chasing birds in my regular stomping grounds a mile from my house but this passion for turkey hunting has taken me all across this beautiful country, making memories, meeting many fellow hunters and creating long lasting bonds with a few. I’ve been going to FL just about every year to hunt and get to stay with a now close friend we met standing in line to get into a WMA about twenty years ago. He has traveled with us on just about every trip since then too. None of that would’ve happened if it wasn’t for that common love of hunting. Especially those damn thunder chickens

13-Jan-23
Rut, you made me think of something. I'd rather hunt a gobbling turkey than quiet turkey any day. So much so, that if easterns stopped gobbling, I'd stop turkey hunting. Many a successful hunter has sat quietly on a field edge for hours on end to fill a turkey tag. Nope. Not me. They are gobbling, or I'm going fishing.

Its the fun of the gobble, hearing it grow louder, hearing the drumming/spitting as they close in... Frigging fantastic!

13-Jan-23
That’s Awesome rut

13-Jan-23
Thanks Mapa. I hear ya Will. In fact, I’ve probably screwed up more than I can count because of lack of patience. If I don’t have a bird gobbling I’m up and moving to a new spot. My father can sit in one spot all day if he knows there’s turkeys in the area. I need the action!!! nothing gets my heart pumping faster than a bird hammering in your face

13-Jan-23
I have never regretted buying a nice gun. I have regretted every “cheap” or “bargain” gun.

14-Jan-23
GED, I'd rather have a muddy lab jump in the truck and land on my Mossberg than land on a gun that required a second mortgage, LOL. Kidding aside, you're right : a fine gun is a joy forever. And I always seem to need just one more.

14-Jan-23
The problem with 410's in general is that ammo - even the 'cheap' stuff - isn't. When you find 410's on the shelf, they're waaaaaay pricier than 12's or 20's. And you're lucky if they have any at all, let alone the shot size you want.

I buy piles of ammo for club ham and turkey shoots, and even back when I could get 12's at $55 a case, I'd pay $13 for a tiny little box of 410's, just to have them on hand for the kiddies.

If 12 gauge recoil bothers you get a 20. (But I know 110 pound women who handle 12 gauge recoil just fine.)

14-Jan-23
For shooting at a range I to would go cheap as possible but for hunting purposes I don’t mind paying the extra. Most of my hunting shells can’t be bought at stores but online. Like Apex and Foxtrot. I know Apex is starting to show up in a few places. Of course not here in this lovely state we live in

14-Jan-23
Speaking of ranges am I right to guess there aren't any public ranges that go out to 40 yards in MA? So I'd need to find a club to join

14-Jan-23
Yeah, but there are a *lot* of good clubs in MA. (Our politics suck but we have a lot of shooting/archery/3D to choose from.)

14-Jan-23
Many clubs have a guest Policy you can ask to try out the club. Will- I’m with You. If it’s dead I’m up and moving. My son and I did a lot of hiking and driving around last Year and in my opinion there’s no use hunting where there’s no gobbling.

15-Jan-23
I use 16 ga double barrel

15-Jan-23
I use 16 ga double barrel

15-Jan-23
Hope you got a good stash of shells for that. (Or reload it.) 16 gauge ammo is like hens' teeth lately. I haven't stocked it for our shoots in several years because of price and availability.

15-Jan-23
16 is out there Dana. Just gotta be persistent and lucky lol. When the writing was on the wall for these shortages me and my brother got my old man a few cases so he wouldn’t run out anytime soon.

15-Jan-23
Last time I saw it the price was nearly double what they were getting for 12's and 20's. And they had only #6's on the shelf, was looking for #8's. Not enough demand for me to care anyway...

15-Jan-23
What do you guys think about barrel length? I like the idea of being on the shorter side for maneuverability/easier carry.

15-Jan-23
That’s exactly right. Typically a gun with a 20”-24” is best for turkey hunting. The reason, like you said, is it’s easier to carry and less likely to get hung up on brush.

15-Jan-23
Is under 20" too short? I'm assuming there's an accuracy/range price the shorter the barrel is?

15-Jan-23
I wouldn’t say too short but at some point it goes from a hunting gun to a self defense weapon. There are a few places that you can send off your barrel and they will custom cut, laser port and fit with choke to get you the max capability. They also pattern it with the best ammo possible. There are also many gun makers that already have turkey hunting models that are all ready to go. Usually cost more but not much to be done to it out of the box.

15-Jan-23
Matt 20 is fine. Just pattern your gun and know what it does. It won’t reach out as far as a 24-26-28” barrel. For old times sakes I use my browning bps my grandfather got me sometimes. 28” barrel. It’s a bear to carry around. BUT, with my carlsons choke and longbeard XR 3” shells, if I can see a turkey I can kill it :) lol

15-Jan-23
I use a 26" BPS - like MAPA, have good choke tubes. Patterns great.

15-Jan-23
I like X-Full choke

15-Jan-23
Good points.

DanaC I think you said early no no no no to the semi auto idea. Why's that?

15-Jan-23
Because they're 'sensitive'. Not what a beginner needs. Yeah there are some really good ones that run like watches but they cost a bundle. Learn to clean and run a pump, they're simple, modest priced and reliable.

(I run shoots and if a gun jams I'll bet it's a semi-auto. I'll give 5-1 odds and make money ;-) )

15-Jan-23
Ah yeah I don't need finicky in my life, good to know

15-Jan-23
Where you run your shoots Dana

15-Jan-23
Swift River in Belchertown. I also just go to shoots at other clubs, no work, no worries ;-)

15-Jan-23
Ahh ok. Not to far away. Might have to come check one out

15-Jan-23

fisherick's embedded Photo
Think bowhunting, one shot one kill. Never needed a follow up shot.

Savage 301 single shot 20 gage shotgun with red dot or scope and quality shells. Switch to rifle choke tube and have a deer gun.

15-Jan-23
Pretty good pattern there fisher! That’ll work!

15-Jan-23

Or switch to Rifle choke tube and slugs for a deer gun. I use to carry the extra weight of a 12 gage Rem 870 pump or a H&R 12 gage single shot but found you carry it more than shoot it. The 20 gage is lighter and does the job quite well.

16-Jan-23
Looks like a nice setup Fisher

16-Jan-23
I keep forgetting single shots but yeah, they'll do well for ya.

Rick, does that scope have an illuminated reticle?

16-Jan-23
I think I heard that single-shot has unique accuracy potential, I imagine due to simplicity. Is this true?

16-Jan-23
'Accuracy' in a shotgun is mainly about matching the load to the choke. Good sights help. (Unless you're talking about custom barrels, whole other discussion...)

16-Jan-23

Or you could go with the MKA 1919 Turkey Annihilator!!!

16-Jan-23
Hah Rut talk about 0-60

16-Jan-23
Would a 20ga or .410 youth model 'fit' an adult? Noob question but knowing how important bow fit is I am wondering if a gun could be too small.

16-Jan-23
For turkey hunting I’d say no. If you were running around shooting pheasants and stuff I’d want the adult model just for LOP etc. (length of pull). I can’t get a smaller gun on my shoulder right hunting pheasants etc. but turkeys I use to use my brothers youth mossberg 500 turkey gun all the time. He still uses it.

16-Jan-23
Gotcha thanks. I think I've come across those youth Mossbergs in my looking around and they got me thinking. I'm really going down a rabbit hole here; I've started looking at barrels on eBay

16-Jan-23
A 20 gauge, or even a 410, may have the same length of pull as a regular 12. Action and stocks will likely be slimmer and lighter.

16-Jan-23

This is what I hunt with now. It’s a $200 Charles Daly .410 youth. I absolutely love it!!! You can pretty much fold it in half and stick it in your pocket.

16-Jan-23
That's the break open single shot, Rut?

16-Jan-23
It sure is. Fitted with a Carlesons TSS choke and a no name red dot sight. I shoot Foxtrot 383 Stroker TSS shells which are 7/8oz 9.5’s. Very deadly even at longer distances. I know there are better chokes and better sights which I do have on other guns. It just didn’t feel right putting them on this little guy lol!! I will still choose this over my more expensive better known guns any day. They made the koolaid and I am definitely glad I drank some.

16-Jan-23
I vote Mossberg or Remington pump with a couple barrels.

I’ve had my Mossberg 535 for about 8 years. I got it with a field barrel with a bead sight for waterfowl and a shorter turkey barrel with fiber sights. I also bought a rifled barrel a few years back and it’s been my most used gun. You can hunt a lot of game with a 12g and 3 barrels.

16-Jan-23

Captain 's embedded Photo
Captain 's embedded Photo
I ended up this year taking my bird with my bow

17-Jan-23
Nice, Captain. Depending on when my LTC comes through I might end up giving that a shot!

17-Jan-23
LTC's are taking around 6 weeks these days. At least for renewals. New might be a bit longer.

17-Jan-23
Six weeks?? I wish. I dropped my paperwork off in mid September for just a renewal and am still waiting. The other day I finally talked to someone who had no answers for me. I had to call the non emergency line. He said I’m one of so many that call constantly that they stopped answering and returning phone calls. If I could only get my wife to agree to move I would be out of here in a heartbeat!!!

17-Jan-23
Garrett I dropped my renewal off at start of October and had it in mid November. Did they cash your check?

17-Jan-23
Wow Garrett. I had mine 4 weeks from drop off.

17-Jan-23
There is no way to even drop off the check. There is a drop box inside a tiny lobby at our police station. It says applications only, no cash or checks. There isn’t even a physical person there to talk to. Just a phone that goes to the same directory as if you called from your cell phone. Last time I did it it was simple because there was someone there. Now it’s a joke. If it is about the money I would assume I would get a phone call considering they have my app with my phone # along with a ton of voicemail messages with my # also.

17-Jan-23
I'd go talk to someone at the town hall. If that didn't stir things, my State Rep. Escalate to State Senator if necessary.

Or you could contact GOAL.

17-Jan-23
Thanks Dana. You’re not the first person that has said that to me. I hate that it would have to get to that but the fact that I can’t get anyone else to talk to me, it might be my only option. What else is kind of funny is a friend of mine who works for the town and is friendly with the sergeant who does the firearms got his in a day. I even used his name as a reference thinking it might speed things up. Guess it’s not about who you know

17-Jan-23
Wow, got mine in about 4 weeks last spring (renewed the LTC-A).

17-Jan-23
I got mine in…wait…what the hell is an “LTC?”

17-Jan-23
Umm, 'Jimi Hendrix', where are you actually from?

17-Jan-23
Jeb In NH... License to Carry...

20-Jan-23
a nice light 3" 20 ga , low power scope, X-Full choke, and a sweet spring morning with a roosted bird unable to escape its destiny .

22-Jan-23
Anyone have favorite/recommended gun shops? I'm near bass pro but willing to road trip elsewhere.

23-Jan-23

DanaC's Link

• Sitka Gear