hickstick 16-Jan-23
Big Dog 16-Jan-23
MA-PAdeerslayer 16-Jan-23
MA-PAdeerslayer 16-Jan-23
Big Dog 20-Jan-23
Wilgabeast 20-Jan-23
Big Dog 21-Jan-23
15-Jan-23
Is there ever a situation where fresh late winter deer sign can be useful in picking a stand site for fall. I've been guilty of putting in a few stands in Jan. and Feb. that were complete duds. Sometimes it works when deer reside year round on a small parcel of land but I can't think of another instance.

15-Jan-23
You might be better off scouting the rubs and scrapes made during the rut for next year. The only problem is if areas are loaded with acorns next year it may be a different pattern then this year with no acorns.

15-Jan-23
You might be better off scouting the rubs and scrapes made during the rut for next year. The only problem is if areas are loaded with acorns next year it may be a different pattern then this year with no acorns.

15-Jan-23
Look for travel routes and sheds.

16-Jan-23
DC, winter travel routes are what fooled me into setting a few non productive stands. Those runs look like money in Feb.; however, in my spots when they go on winter browse their routes change and don't seem to apply to fall movement. That probably doesn't apply everywhere nor is it a hard and fast rule. Maybe it's good info. for a late season set; nothing's for certain with Mr. Whitetail. It's interesting to weigh other hunters' responses.

16-Jan-23
I think it depends on where you are. IN Zone 10 I found my best spots in the winter. I always made notes of the heaviest runs and then when the snow melted I went back to see if the runs, scat, rubs, scrapes were in these same areas. If so bingo, if not move on.

Now I'm up in NH. Different ball game. The deer definately utilize land in the winter that they don't in hunting season. Made few mistakes for sure. Lot more work up here for sure. The season ended here 31 days ago and I have already got more scouting hours in than I would do in MA for a season.

16-Jan-23
all of the advice above is good. there are definite scenarios where winter sign will not help for fall stand placement. food sources are different, heavy snow makes them yard up in heavy browse & evergreen cover, etc. however, in more suburban environments, where they are feeding in yards and shrubs all year long it can be useful.

one thing I've found is that summer & fall runs are sometimes easier to see in a light snow because of the way the snow sticks to the ground versus the nearby ground cover.

but the short anwser is 'it depends' or 'its situational'

JMHO

16-Jan-23
The first snow every year I have 2-3 does hammering my front hedges. I’d say if you found a spot like that and it snowed in November it might trigger a movement.

16-Jan-23
I second hick with the snow grabbing differently. Glad it’s not just me that felt that way…

16-Jan-23
another thing to consider is on super cold & windy mornings, at least around here, deer tend to bed on elevated south facing slopes that get the sun first. rather than down in thick bottoms. so even just the cold may change their travel patterns.

16-Jan-23
it's a lifetime class room that remains ever fascinating

16-Jan-23
Definitely an intelligent human for finding….we won’t talk about missing….I’ll come down there and help ya out buddy. Send me the address. I’ll meet you by the seashell on the eastern side at low tide.

16-Jan-23
That sounds like incomplete directions. I’ll ask again elsewhere. Maybe then I’ll get a better answer.

20-Jan-23
Bring a clam rake ,LOL

20-Jan-23
Wareham pi?

21-Jan-23
Wilga, is a Wareham pi like a Key Lime pi, LOL ?

• Sitka Gear