Big Dog 20-Jan-23
Arrownoob 20-Jan-23
Huntskifishcook 21-Jan-23
Tekoa 21-Jan-23
Huntskifishcook 21-Jan-23
BC 21-Jan-23
20-Jan-23

Tekoa's Link
Stumbled on this today (see link). A lot of similarities to how we still hunt today although most of us wear a bit more than a loincloth while hunting......Tekoa

20-Jan-23
Tekoa, I own that book and it's a fascinating and in-depth account of the final years of the last primitive Native American. Ishi inspired Dr. Pope (P&Y) to bow hunt. Good stuff.

20-Jan-23
When he released the arrow, the bow rotated in his hand so that the string faced in the opposite direction from which it started. His thumb alone drew the string, and this was so toughened that it needed no leather covering. (…so explain that?)

21-Jan-23
What a great read. Thanks for sharing, Tekoa. I'm going to reread that again later this evening. I think there are many great pieces of info applicable to the modern bow hunter.

I had a good chuckle from the line about the blue jay's saying, "it's a man!" and the writer saying only a white hunter would advance under these circumstances.

21-Jan-23

Tekoa's Link
Noob, ISHI held his bow completely different than anyone you've ever seen (see link). There are pictures of ISHI holding his bow if you do some searching. I've tried this with a kids bow and it will rotate exactly like described.

21-Jan-23
That way of holding the bow seems to make sense. It looks like the archer can look directly down the shaft of the arrow to aim. With a 20" draw they also must have been shooting extremely heavy arrows to break the backs of bucks as described in the article.

21-Jan-23
Very cool. Fascinating.

• Sitka Gear