Will 26-Jan-23
MA-PAdeerslayer 26-Jan-23
Big Dog 27-Jan-23
hickstick 27-Jan-23
Huntskifishcook 27-Jan-23
Jebediah 27-Jan-23
Will 27-Jan-23
21-Jan-23
A client of mine gifted me a gift card to Amazon for Xmas. I've been sitting on it, pondering what I may use it on... It's going to be a ghillie suit. I have done some research and have settled on a hybrid one as the most likely - it's like a leafy suit with a bunch of the ghillie suit-looking stuff added to it. Figure I'll use it during turkey season, and if it goes well, try it during deer season.

For a few years, there was one a bowhunter writer guy was selling that didn't use anything on the draw side chest or inside of the bow arm before I pulled the trigger. Do any of you know anything about that one, or if it is still available?

21-Jan-23
That was the Marc Anthony model which I still have. I think it was the best one out there. Not made for a long time. I think that the ones used on "The hunting public" are also the Marc Anthony. IMO what makes it better iss the added on leaves. Wouldn't be hard to do. ....Tekoa

21-Jan-23
I got a leafy suit from North Mountain Gear this past season and had great results. I had a couple sub 20 yard encounters with great bucks who looked right through me.

21-Jan-23
Do you know which one specifically hfc? It looks like they have several. Seems like it might be money well spent.

21-Jan-23

Huntskifishcook's Link
Jeb, the link provided is the one I purchased.

21-Jan-23
Thanks very much!

21-Jan-23
I bought Len's (Hunterma) ASAT leafy suit when he was selling all his gear. I used it once during turkey and was gonna use it for yotes this weekend until it snowed.

21-Jan-23
How are shots thru brush ? Very hard from tree getting thru thick crap

21-Jan-23
Mhg have you been on wilga s cabinet

21-Jan-23
Don't see the advantage from the ground.

21-Jan-23
Don't think there is an "advantage" just a preferred method I gather

21-Jan-23
Mhg not necessarily an advantage as a necessity in some places. I have a few spots it’s to thick shooting down but there’s trails and holes opened to shoot from the ground. Granted I’m a laurel junky and im some thick ass shit.

22-Jan-23
Mhg all the advantage is from the ground. In a tree UT increases your overall volume and would probably make you stand out more. Ghillies are designed to blend in with brush on the ground, fore & aft. In super dense thick bramble it would probably hang up & snag too much but more open forest floor or field edges are where it would shine.

22-Jan-23

Arrownoob's Link
Will I have the one you speak of. I believe it is called “the bow hunter”

23-Jan-23
You should call the guy from that link. He makes them and sometimes he gets cancellations or returns. I got mine about 40% off retail because it was a return.

23-Jan-23
Awesome to see this guys, thanks for the insight and ideas.

Looking forward to messing around with it! Will

23-Jan-23
The one I was looking at was the one HFSC has, so I decided to go for it. Noob, that one looks similar to the one Tekoa has but has less of the stringy stuff. I opted to get one. I'll likely modify it a little for bowstring clearance. I am excited about it. I got some fake oak leaves I'm going to attach randomly too. Got to love gifted money :)

24-Jan-23
Fyi none of them work if you move Or fidget. I’d think that netting stuff maybe 3-4’ wide and 3-5’ long would be pretty badass if you fill it with that yarn stuff (I always forget the name) The problem is moving through woods with that jacket. Catches everything.

24-Jan-23
One of my boys has a sort of pop-up “blind,” three sides and no roof, which he often uses. He says it’s because he fidgets. I guess that’s a good solution, second only to not fidgeting.

25-Jan-23
Noob, I've pondered that. Buy some of that blind material you are getting at, and just put it over you like a blanket or draped between sticks or something. Always been Ghillie curious, so I figured it was worth a shot. I plan to hike in with regular hunting clothes and then put them on where I'm going to hunt. Treat it like a tree stand... At least for deer. Turkeys, I run and gun too much, so I probably end up wearing it then.

25-Jan-23
2 years ago I was just sitting still on dirt, no cover at all and had a few dumb jakes come up 7 yards from me. That was with the ghillie. I was 5-10 yards into the woods off of a golf course. My buddy was calling 100 yards away and they were going to run into the woods and circle around him. I was leaving to go to work. They just ran right into me.

25-Jan-23
Will, I have an ASAT and a leafy poncho/cape...thing. They WORK!! The ASAT suit is fantastic for deer and the poncho is great for coyote.

However, I strongly suggest not putting either one on until you're where you're gonna be. Otherwise its like being a wooly sheep trying to push through a raspberry bush. You catch on absolutely ever stupid little thing. Also, in the early season, I feel like they don't breathe, it's weird.

Use them on the ground, use them in the tree. They're great.

25-Jan-23
Sosso it sounds a lot like you’ve seen a wooly sheep push through a raspberry bush, and I’m envious.

25-Jan-23
Sosso, I've used an ASAT leafy suit for years, and I love it on the ground and tree. I've shot a LOT of turkeys in that thing.

This whole Ghille idea just seemed too fun, and I had to try it...

That said, it arrived today. Similar in weight to the ASAT suit, a little heavier given all the thready stuff, but it's a button Vs. Zip-up like the ASAT leafy suit, similar material as the base - using some RealTree camo pattern called "Edge." It's kinda like they sewed in all the Ghille stuff onto an ASAT leafy suit. I sent Mapa a pic but will have to email myself that image because I took Bowsite off my phone, for sanity's sake. It's pretty cool. I'll pack it in and put it on for deer when I decide to hunt. Turkeys, I may risk wearing it in.

SOOOO correct about the asat suit walking through prickers and stuff... It gets pretty beat. Mine has knee holes; both hem's along the bottom have long ago ripped off, and the crotch has holes from my safety harness rubbing on the pants over the years. But, all the little "leaves" of material being shredded up sorta helps make it blend in even better, I think.

25-Jan-23
Many summers working on farms has given me a disdain for farm animals. I feel bad for pigs though, really smart animal, really bad hand dealt.

26-Jan-23
Sosso, but all around a pig's ass is pork. LOL There's a subliminal message there somewhere. Kidding aside , they are pretty intelligent .

26-Jan-23
Ok, it's already paid off in humor. Kids saw it, and almost had a fight about who gets to wear it during hide and seek with the neighborhood kids! BAH HA HA HA HA!

26-Jan-23
Will, is it considered baiting to hang corn cobs from a Ghillie suit ? Asking for a friend.

26-Jan-23
Oh yeah! Don't get me wrong, my Grandpa had some hogs for years, they were the size of a small car. They used to play games with bowling balls and were generally nice animals. I was sad to see them go once he had them slaughtered, but slab bacon is real. a quarter to a third of an inch thick slice of bacon?!!!? With syrup?!!? Yeah, I blow a hog's brains out Christmas morning in a Santa hat for some slab bacon! Especially for 50lbs of it!

26-Jan-23
Hahahahahahahaah Kris that’s hilarious. do we have to wait for Christmas tho? Lol.

Will that suit is sweet. I’ll have to get one so we both blend In come turkey season.

26-Jan-23
I almost gave my Mother in law a heart attack this past fall. I didn't know she was visiting when I was out hunting one afternoon. I came home after dark, still wearing the leafy suit with my face painted fully black. I barged through our front door ravenous for dinner and she nearly jumped through the ceiling in our kitchen when she saw me.

26-Jan-23
HSFC - You owe me a new laptop, just sprayed water out my nose all over this one from that comment! BAH HA HA HA!

26-Jan-23
Thank god it was ravenous for dinner and not something else in a ghillie suit with your mother in law there to your surprise hahahah

27-Jan-23
Huntski, funny

27-Jan-23

hickstick's embedded Photo
hickstick's embedded Photo
HSFC and his M-I-L

27-Jan-23
Lol hick, she's a Wiley ol' bird. She'd probably be the one holding the Bowie knife.

Haha Will, that sounds right in line with my budget.

27-Jan-23
This is extremely attractive—ditch all the gizmos for tree climbing, put on this lightweight costume, and just become part of the undergrowth. May be my birthday present.

27-Jan-23
Jeb, I'm always happy to help folks spend money... https://www.amazon.com/North-Mountain-Gear-Woodland-Camouflage/dp/B01LRDXZT6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1DN1D8U2Y0KLA&keywords=North+Mountain+gear+ghillie+suit&qid=1674848081&sprefix=north+mountain+gear+ghillie+suit%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-4

• Sitka Gear