Old Bow 27-Apr-23
One Arrow 27-Apr-23
Old Bow 27-Apr-23
Thornton 27-Apr-23
One Arrow 27-Apr-23
22-Jan-23

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
At a cool restaurant in Indy, "Root & Bone", and wondered if anyone picked up any sheds yet?

22-Jan-23
Thats different !

22-Jan-23
Found a couple of fresh ones while quail hunting yesterday.

Found some quail, too. :)

22-Jan-23
Picked up one yesterday

22-Jan-23
I went to Indy once but didn't go there. I went to the University of Indiana Med center with my friend when he was fighting cancer. Gonna start looking for antlers in about 2 weeks.

22-Jan-23
Would be cool if each tap had a beer that originated from the country or region that the antler was native to.

I've got only 1 buck on trailcam that has shed 1 side, everything else is hold both.

22-Jan-23
Found a matched set a couple days ago, wasn’t even looking.

Maybe a 135” clean ten point.

29-Jan-23

Catscratch's embedded Photo

29-Jan-23
Nice, clean, straight

29-Jan-23
Who cares about the shed...let's see more of that vintage green Jeep CJ!

29-Jan-23

Likely not what you think it is, but it's a blast for a pasture truck!

29-Jan-23
I like both.

29-Jan-23

ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
Good start…

29-Jan-23

ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
Good start…

29-Jan-23
Nice work James! Some good ones next year.

29-Jan-23
Great haul ksq!

29-Jan-23
Thanks fellas. We really haven’t started looking yet, these came off the in-laws. The antlers are REALLY concentrated around the ag this year, even more than usual, drought related I’m sure.

29-Jan-23
James…nice matching sets in the background!

30-Jan-23
Dang! Very nice!

30-Jan-23
Had a guy hunting sheds yesterday on the farm across the road. I'm seeing several bucks on our place and only one has shed one antler all the rest are still carrying both.

30-Jan-23
Yep…those are nice James.

30-Jan-23

ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
Thanks again fellas. On a not so fun note, we also found what I assume was an EHD victim. Died in full velvet. The pic doesn’t do him justice, he was a nice buck.

08-Feb-23

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Walked the best part(s) of six farms yesterday, found one.

A kid I let hunt one of my spots found this dead buck during late doe season...so I put a camera on it. Perty neat.

08-Feb-23
Oh man Sito! We had a cow die Sunday and I didn't think to put a camera on it. Dang it! Maybe I'll try to get that done Friday. Great video by-the-way! I'm always amazed at how carefree a yote seems while watching them from a stand, but how skittish they are when coming in to a bait or a trap set. Bold while hunting, cautious while investigating. Cats are the opposite. They are extremely sneaky while casually exploring the woods, but tend to rush right in to a bait or trap set.

My cameras show that that most of our bucks are still holding, but I have found a few so far.

08-Feb-23
I was out feeding a couple mornings ago and 9 bucks came thru the edge of the creek bottom. Only one had lost a single antler, all the rest were carrying both sides.

08-Feb-23
My cameras are showing most still carrying as well, I just needed to be out-of-doors

08-Feb-23

Mike D's embedded Photo
Mike D's embedded Photo
Found these on public ground on the 3rd. Walked 5+ miles. Only 100 ft from road.

08-Feb-23

Mike D's embedded Photo
Mike D's embedded Photo
Second Saturday of rifle season. Amazing they lasted a whole year! G2s 12+

08-Feb-23

Mike D's embedded Photo
Mike D's embedded Photo
Second Saturday of rifle season. Amazing they lasted a whole year! G2s 12+

09-Feb-23
I don't see 12 " on that buck. It looks like a 130"

10-Feb-23

Mike D's embedded Photo
Mike D's embedded Photo
Different view

11-Feb-23
This is a great example of how difficult it can be to score a buck from a single photo.

11-Feb-23
And that’s a beautiful 8 by the way. Wonder if anyone got him this year?

12-Feb-23

be still's embedded Photo
It nearly looks like it is sheds from 2 years ago. Also it’s strange that the burrs are already missing at the base unless the varmints already chewed them off as well.

Yes it’s difficult to score from pics. Let’s play a short scoring game off a couple pics…see how good y’all are:?) Y’all give me some guesses on this one and then I’ll give y’all the score.

12-Feb-23
130 gross ............ 123 net

12-Feb-23
I think Chief is very close as hard as it is from pics that's right at what I added the small side up and doubled, with all that I will say 121 Net.

13-Feb-23
Now come on guys…I need more than 2 scores. If I remember right Daniel here is a scorer so he’s not scared. I know Hellman has been in the woods a lot and when you have that last name and Chief as your bowsite handle you can figure he ain’t afraid either.

Now I’m really waiting on Dave’s score. He’s already got the whole number but he’s narrowing it down to an 1/8th now:?)

Really busy with work today…got to set 2 tanks and work on another. I’ll score him tonight so y’all hurry up now.

13-Feb-23
Well looking back I realized I forgot to say the closest to the score was going to receive a Cabelas gift card in the mail. Daniel here is going to be the winner.

I was hoping I would get somebody saying 140. I shot this one a long time ago and not sure if I even scored it but I don’t think it’s even going to gross 120. I did put myself in y’all’s shoes though and just pretended I just had the pic to go off. It’s weird cause I came up with exactly what Chief had as a gross but I was 1” more on the net at 124.

Daniel you should have stuck with 119 on the net cause even though it’s not even going to make that it would have been closer. Y’all are pretty good at scoring cause this is what it looks like from the pic.

About to score it here in a bit.

13-Feb-23
Pics are tuff with just 2 . My original thought was 20" beam 3.5" g1, 12" g2 4.5 g3, Circumference is tuff to guess 3.5"c1, 3.0" c2, 3.0" c3 2.0" c4 for 51.5 x2 =103 and gave it 16" inside but thought I was a little high. then had a drink and talked myself into more spread for the 121

13-Feb-23
119 3/8 gross and 114 5/8 net.

Hope you like Cabelas Daniel. Yeah Chief you get a second place prize from Cabelas as well.

13-Feb-23

Daniel I’ll never doubt your scoring abilities again. You were pretty close on the mass. Beams you were right on which I think is the hardest from a pic. You are right…I didn’t give a straight on shot for the width. From the pic I was giving it 17. It was only 14 3/8 wide. Had 11 on the G2s.

13-Feb-23
Thank you!

14-Feb-23
Sorry, I've been off chasing dear the last few days. Would have guessed 125". I've shot several I thought were 150" only to have them score 140". Shot a 164" once, packed it out a mile, and thought it was a 150" until I measured it.

15-Feb-23

Trebarker's embedded Photo
Checked the cameras Monday night and just finished downloading this morning. The majority at my spots are still packing their horns around on their heads. Hope a few of them stick around for the season this fall.

15-Feb-23
Randy….good future potential in those photos. I have about 8 trail cameras between properties in 2 different counties to check as well. Figure I will wait until mid-late March to check them all. Thx for sharing your trail camera pics!

16-Feb-23

I've found some. Still quite a few on camera holding both sides.

16-Feb-23
Jason...nice haul. What gives with the bottle of Maple Syrup?

16-Feb-23
The syrup is just for scale. Seems like most people post pics with a beer to reference. This was a morning hunt so I threw a gallon of syrup in there.

16-Feb-23
I would say I'm 80% shed,nice haul jason but some of those the tines are taller than your grass

16-Feb-23
Yep Randy, can't say I've found any that were all that tough to see!

16-Feb-23
That’s impressive Cat.

16-Feb-23
bestill - Thanks, some people step right over sheds, while others pick them up... ;)

16-Feb-23
That's a gallon jug???? 1. That's a lot of syrup. 2. That means those are big sheds.

16-Feb-23
The jug isn't all that big, but some of them are nice antler. Maybe if I find some more I'll set them around a beer can so you'all have something you know to compare them to.

Got to know a guy up in Wisconsin. He's freshly retired and making knives to stay busy. I ship him boxes of antlers and chunks of locust wood for handles (neither of which he can find in Wis). He ships me real maple syrup and the occasional discount on a custom knife.

16-Feb-23
Well Cat most people that find a shed doesn’t leave it behind:?) Tell your son I’ll bring it with me next time I come that way.

Yeah I can’t believe I stepped right over it and didn’t see it…it would’ve been a snake it would’ve bit me.

16-Feb-23
I figured if he left it behind then he didn't want it all that bad, but we did kind of leave in a hurry. Made it back just in time to get a run in and then head to the next town over for a superbowl party.

Lol, you weren't looking for antlers but something very different! Got to have those eyes calibrated. I wonder just how many snake we were close to and didn't see? What we caught would have been pretty easy to have missed.

16-Feb-23
Nice haul, catscratch. Are all of those this year’s sheds, or some older ones as well. They all look really white. Is that the norm for the deer in your area? We get a few bucks with really light colored racks, but the vast majority have a lot more staining on them. I know bucks out on the prairies, with very few trees usually have very light racks, but I’m assuming where you live, there are plenty of trees, but that’s just an assumption.

16-Feb-23
T-roy, we're mostly cattle pasture. Grass as far as the eye can see. There's some trees in the creek bottoms and we actually have a section of woods but in general there aren't a lot. I actually thought these antlers had good color.

2 old sheds in the pile. One of them chewed up pretty bad by squirrels, the other in the bottom of a creek bed that's never been dry before now. No telling how long it's sat under water.

17-Feb-23
What's crazy to me is that in your pile, and in the ones James found, there are no abnormal points, "kickers/stickers", drops, or splits. Just a bunch of clean 8's and 10's. Good haul!

17-Feb-23
Kyle,

I’ve been searching for sheds since the late 90’s. Very few, less than the fingers on one hand, could every qualify as “non-typical”. Sure I’ve got several with kickers, but very few weirdos.

I’ve always wanted to find a huge non-typical shed. And out of the hundreds of antlers I’ve found, none have surpassed the 90” mark. I think maybe 3 or 4 have gone passed 80”.

I’ve been lucky killing a few, but true giants are not around every tree and I think the lack of sheds scoring 80”+ from those who look for sheds hard is proof that huge deer are special.

Honestly, I get more joy out of finding big sheds than I do killing a buck.

Nice sheds Cat… couple of those look like potential whoppers next year. I believe sheds are the first scouting technique in killing a giant next Fall!

17-Feb-23

There's some kickers and odds in there but not a lot. I'm guessing Sito might be referring to age class since bucks tend to add trash as they get old? Some of these deer are fairly old as I have history with them. But our place has always held clean genetics and short brow tines. Plus I suspect that our dry spring and summer last yr may have had something to do with antler growth. That's just an idea though.

17-Feb-23
Wow! That's awesome!

18-Feb-23

Quailhunter's embedded Photo
Quailhunter's embedded Photo
Found a matching set here by the house of one I went after some this year.

18-Feb-23
I guess all my pics will be crooked on this site from now on.

18-Feb-23

Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Rotated...nice heavy buck!! Great find

18-Feb-23
Gosh dang. Are you sure he wasn’t part Moose Aaron. He’s heavy all the way out.

18-Feb-23
Thank you for fixing it! Yea he has a lot of mass. He has a bum leg but seems to get by okay on it.

18-Feb-23

Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Not a problem. I found 2 the other day....damn squirrels.

18-Feb-23
Love the color and mass on that one Quailhunter!

18-Feb-23
One of these had been chewed on. Doesn’t take them long. His antlers were really dark earlier in the fall.

19-Feb-23
Thick as a brick!

20-Feb-23

74maximus1 's embedded Photo
Have not found one from this year yet. Years past by now I would have found 10 to 15. Found these 2 today within the first 30 seconds out of the truck. Both were within 5 feet from one another. One from last year and one from 2 years ago.

21-Feb-23
I still have my biggest bucks carrying as of yesterday.

22-Feb-23
Can’t remember if I ever told y’all this but be careful with the kids carrying sheds. Probably most of y’all have sense enough to not let them carry them while walking but if some of the older kids do at least teach them to carry them with the tines pointed outward.

Remember when Utah was just a young toot and as we were walking along he was picking up old bones. I didn’t think too much of it at first but I looked over and he had all of them bear hugged against his chest. Just about the time I thought that didn’t looked safe in case he tripped sure enough he trips and falls. Luckily nothing sharp was facing up.

I think it’s a good idea for even the adults to carry them with them with the tines facing down. Alright don’t laugh but that’s my safety tip for the day.

22-Feb-23

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Yeah..and don’t hang these above the baby crib either. This pic was taken at Be Stills house?

22-Feb-23

Ha…I do have some old skulls and sheds I keep in the corner beside some of Ella’s toys so she can pull one out and gnaw on it some. Maybe not the safest area for my almost 2 yr old grandson when he comes over but we try to keep him clear of that corner. I keep thinking I probably need to put them somewhere else one day.

24-Feb-23

Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Don't be gettin all jealous and stuff....

24-Feb-23
Did you find it in a cold swimming pool?

24-Feb-23
Pretty good eye to pick up that.

24-Feb-23

I never consider it a successful shed season until I've found at least 1 spike or broken point. These are the one's I've found so far this season. I would guess they were both 3 times easier to see than what bwhnt found!

24-Feb-23
That antler is at least a year old, maybe 2. I found it laying about a foot off a trail leading into a wildlife sanctuary I was going to hunt for sheds. Heavy human traffic on that trail, but the back portion is loaded with deer.

24-Feb-23
….and Jackalope’s too?

24-Feb-23
Lots of varmints around here...

26-Feb-23

Thornton's embedded Photo
First find of the season, within bow range of where I've killed several nice bucks. Looks to be at least a year or two old, and I didn't seem him last season.

26-Feb-23

2nd find nearby the first. Young 10 point, matched set.

26-Feb-23
Nice find

26-Feb-23
And not even chewed! Nice! How many of the one I found put together would equal yours?

26-Feb-23
Good ones Thornton.

Bowhunter one way to find out is just to go ahead and score yours. Might be a little tricky in getting the 4 mass measurements on it:?)

27-Feb-23

I may be about done for the season!

27-Feb-23
I still had at least 11 bucks carrying this weekend,hopefully by next weekend

27-Feb-23
Pretty cool Jason, are you finding the majority on wheat?

27-Feb-23
A really serious and skilled shed hunter would have and display matched spike buck sheds.

05-Mar-23
Walked about 2.5 miles today in what I consider a deer mecca. Limited number of hunters in this section. No one had been in there since November 23rd. Found zero horns! 10 years ago we would pick up 15 plus horns. Kicked up over 30 deer as well!

06-Mar-23
Nice Cat

06-Mar-23
Found 7 more this weekend. Really didn't think I was going to find any more after last weekend. Think I'm up to 40. Pretty much none of them were in places I normally find them. Patterns shift.

06-Mar-23
I walked a few places yesterday and found zero. I did find a small 8 pt dead head. too small and too far back in to hassle with a salvage tag.

06-Mar-23
I still have my biggest carrying and probably 10 more from this weekend,cat are yours from this year?

06-Mar-23
Most are from this yr. Probably found 4 or 5 that are old. I'll take an updated pic. this evening. Maybe this time I'll throw something in there that isn't a gallon of syrup.

Had a small buck with both sides on camera a week or so ago. Haven't seen a buck with antlers for a couple of weeks otherwise.

06-Mar-23
Thats crazy last week probably 90% were still carrying and now maybe 25% and we are 30 miles apart

06-Mar-23

It is crazy comparing differences when we are so close to each other. From what I've read shed timing is mostly a genetic thing with any particular buck shedding within a week of the same date for his entire life. The other option is health. Looking at seal depth my bucks appear to be healthy though (if there's any truth in that measurement). Don't feel like laying them out for a pic and counting, but this is what the pile currently looks like.

06-Mar-23
Holy smokes aroo Cat…save some sheds for us why don’t ya:?)

07-Mar-23
Watched a herd of 16 deer the last few evenings behind the house. A few young bucks still carrying both sides including the biggest.

07-Mar-23

07-Mar-23

Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Bwhnt's embedded Photo
My dog could use some training...he literally stepped on this one and never even slowed down. Luckily I found it shortly after.

07-Mar-23
lol that's pretty good

07-Mar-23
Lol, we must have the same type of dog Bwhnt! I watched mine step over a shed a weekend ago and just keep on going. Finding sheds is the only thing I've tried to train him to do... and he has yet to bring me one that I didn't find first!

08-Mar-23

Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Eh...I still love him anyway...lol!

08-Mar-23

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
We don't typically have the big bucks here in Montana but the numbers are good.......mule deer are shedding now. I watched two bucks spar last evening and one of these from this morning was one I watched fall during the shoving match. The buck kept stretching his neck out after and tilting his head sideways as he felt the weight imbalance.....backed out at dark but couldn't find where or if he shed the other side yet this morning when I went back.

08-Mar-23

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I found a few yesterday, but 5 of the 6 were on the same small farm...nothing but old ones on the others. The biggest(boot is a 13) was at least a year old, left it. In fact, I left the rest on one of my landowners porch, his wife likes to use them as decorations.

08-Mar-23

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Found a few nice rubs too, including one I can't explain

09-Mar-23
Lightning?

09-Mar-23
Lightening or maybe it git caught on a disc or some sort of machinery that drove by?

Looks like it was a good walk.

09-Mar-23
Heck of a small farm I'd say!!

09-Mar-23

One Arrow's embedded Photo
Kyle… I saw something similar to that in the last couple of years. Saw it on a cedar this year. No clue what could have caused it. Squirrel on crack?

I think I’m up to around 30 sheds found while driving a tractor. Most of them were found in after-wheat bean fields…. A lot of volunteer wheat in those fields was the draw, I’m guessing.

Found one the way I never want to find them (pic attached) and another I couldn’t get the tractor stopped in time and ran right over it. Luckily the ground was wet and the tire pushed it into the mud. It was down there a ways, guessing 6” or so. It had me scratching my head for a while as I was confident it was stuck in the tire. Dug it out with the toe if my boot.

Unfortunately, zero giants found this year. A few likely are 60” type antlers, but most are much less

09-Mar-23
I guess it could have been lightning, but lightning is attracted to height and there are several taller trees around that one. Not farming equipment, they no longer farm personally, and no tracks from any vehicle. I had a camera 100yds away, just deer on there.

It reminds me of an Elk rub, but no big tracks either.

Them tires ain't cheap Ray, glad it didn't cost ya!

09-Mar-23
Had that on Russian olives, the only thing I could come up with was pack rats. Looked like a swarm of squirrels chewed off all the bark.

09-Mar-23
I thought about rats, or other small mammals too...but there are broken branches and strips of bark ripped off and hanging? The highest point of contact was around 8-9'

10-Mar-23

Let’s solve the mystery with one of those Sasquatch cameras!

10-Mar-23

10-Mar-23

Finally found one from this year! 3 others from last year!

11-Mar-23

I've seen 7 bucks the last few evenings carrying both sides.

12-Mar-23
Cool pic Jason….that is exactly why I don’t pull my trail cameras until about mid-April. Last year, I had more deer than I ever would have guessed that were still carrying both sides well into early-mid April.

05-Apr-23

207" found on the Fort

06-Apr-23
Dang! That's a cool buck!

06-Apr-23
Dang it.

06-Apr-23
Found on part of the base us civis can not go.

06-Apr-23
Wow!! That's a adrenaline rush to find that.

25-Apr-23

25-Apr-23

Found this 171" ten point about 100 yards from where I shot my turkey.

25-Apr-23

As he lay in the tamarack. I find lots of predator killed deer at this creek crossing.
As he lay in the tamarack. I find lots of predator killed deer at this creek crossing.

25-Apr-23

25-Apr-23
Looks like a nice buck. What critter killed him?

25-Apr-23
No idea, but the does I found freshly dead last year at the same spot seemed to have been killed by coyotes.

25-Apr-23
Wow what a monster buck and nice bird! That's a great day in the woods.

26-Apr-23
Good looking horns there Thornton. Met a guy in Wichita on the way back through. He had a few in the back of his truck that he had shot over the years. One was a clean 10 that also look like it was north of 170 with not many deductions if somebody would’ve been interested in net.

26-Apr-23
How long are those 3’s?

Good looking deer… I wouldn’t have guessed 170” from that one photo, but that side view is a peach.

Kind of funny with a booner behind every tree in this state, I’ve only found 2 deadheads that would gross over 170”… that’s in nearly 30 years with some great habitat to explore.

27-Apr-23

Old Bow 's embedded Photo
 Old Bow 's embedded Photo
My best one .

27-Apr-23
That’s a whopper… did you tape it?

27-Apr-23
No I did not , I’ll ask a friend of mine if he can .

27-Apr-23
I guessed him 165" and the landowner said "probably 170". He was right. The G3s are 12.5" and 12.75". Picture doesn't make him look very big.

27-Apr-23
Yeah, Pics rarely give me any idea of what a deer will score. If I can get a half dozen or more with decent angles I can usually get close, but I hate judging trail cam pics. I’ve been off 15” both ways.

G3’s pushing 13”? Awesome.

• Sitka Gear