Trebarker 28-Jan-23
be still 28-Jan-23
Thornton 13-Apr-23
Ben 14-Apr-23
26-Jan-23

kscowboy's Link
Worth the 7.5 minute watch

26-Jan-23
I saw that last week, Abt does lots of cool videos.

26-Jan-23
Here is the story backstory about the cougar killed in 1904 (Ellis County) that is pictured in the beginning of that video.

On September 15, 1904, the last documented mountain lion in Kansas prior to 2007* was shot during a prairie chicken hunt in Ellis County, Kansas along the North Fork Big Creek northwest of Catharine, KS. Three well known Hays business owners, Henry Havemann, Bill Applebaugh, and J.H. Spratt were hunting in rural Ellis County when their hunting dog leaped toward some brush and spooked the mountain lion. The story goes that the lion was about to pounce on Applebaugh when the two others shot the animal.

The men returned the mountain lion to Hays where several of the locals gathered in downtown to see the rare cat. Applebaugh, the local druggist, sent the lion to KU where it was prepared by Prof. L.L. Dyche. He kept the taxidermy lion in his store front window until he moved out-of-state. He later gifted it to the Hays state college museum.

At the time there was two different theories as to where the mountain lion came from, some believed it escaped a circus while others think it roamed into Kansas from Colorado.

27-Jan-23
The comments are pretty entertaining. I hunt NW NM on an annual basis and see their tracks, get trail cam pics, and find their kills on a regular basis but have yet to see one in the flesh down there. That is unless they are treed.

Meanwhile, some Kansas residents have multiple sightings and some have even seen black ones. It’s truly amazing what people will believe they saw when they want to see it.

I was bear hunting on Vancouver Island in BC when a cat ran across the remote mountain road in front of us in the dark. My guide (who was in his 50s) and I immediately turned to each other and said, “Mountain lion!” We flipped our lights into the ditch to get a better look and it was a ginger house cat. We were not around any homes and it was really dark outside which made it difficult to know the true size of the animal when it crossed. Had we not confirmed it, I’d swear to this day that I saw one in BC that trip.

27-Jan-23
had y'all been drinking?

27-Jan-23
I was having a good laugh reading the comments as well, I wonder if those same people were asked if they have ever seen bobcats on a regular basis or better yet a bobcat with kittens. And the black cat sightings are just absurd

27-Jan-23
Cherney, no. I wasn’t participating in Canada’s 2nd favorite pastime after hockey.

27-Jan-23

crestedbutte's Link
ABT does a good job with the visual aspects of his video….but it appears to me that he plagiarized the entire content of the video.

In the video, when the narrator is showing the KS map with stars on it….he repeats verbatim the content in the attached 2015 article by author Michelle Lindsey….especially the info. in her bullet points are repeated verbatim when stars are placed on ABT’s KS map.

27-Jan-23
I noticed that too Jason, just pulled it all together into a "neat" package.

28-Jan-23
Cougar on the brain is at pandemic levels in Kansas.

The black cougar story is making it's rounds again, have seen the "official report confirming the sighting" shown to me by co-workers and have seen it on FB that it happened here. The coworker, when he showed me the post, said he thought he had seen Darth Cougar too, "it crossed the road so fast he wasn't sure, but it was black and it had a long tail, it had to be a cougar he guessed"

28-Jan-23
Now going off of a pic I know a few of y’all can’t tell the difference between a bobcat and a lion:?)

13-Apr-23

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
And another one confirmed.

14-Apr-23
People imagining what they have seen is funny. I had a knock on the door one fall night and I knew the kid at the door as a neighbor boy about a mile and a half up the road. He wanted to call his Dad as he had wrecked his Bronco at our creek. I asked him what happened and he stuttered " Mr. ---- I just hit a Black Bear!". I hopped in the truck and took him back down to the Bronco and in the ditch lay one of the Neighbors registered Black Angus calves.

As far as the Mountain lions my wife and brother have seen one years ago on two different occasions and I had a turkey hunter leave all his hunting equipment by a brush pile one spring next to our north fence and a brush pile. When I called him asking why he left all his stuff and he said he was sitting in his blind when a Mt. lion jumped the fence and scared him so bad he said he was not coming back.

• Sitka Gear