Rut-N-Strut 28-Jan-23
N8tureBoy 28-Jan-23
Big Dog 28-Jan-23
hickstick 28-Jan-23
Lunker 28-Jan-23
hickstick 28-Jan-23
Arrownoob 28-Jan-23
27-Jan-23
How much scent comes out of a ground blind under normal conditions with 2 small windows open ?

27-Jan-23
There is no way to accurately answer that, so... Some. Some is the correct answer :)

Not trying to be obnoxious, just not aware of any way to verify this...

27-Jan-23
I understand. My thoughts exactly. "Some" I was hoping there were stories of downwind bucks or someone who really believes in the ground blind. I have 2 manmade hills with no trees to get in and the deer are always atop and I will incorporate 2 blinds this year.

27-Jan-23
Like will said. Some. No concrete answer. I’ve shot deer down wind. As long as the back window isn’t blowin your scent twords em you should be ok.

27-Jan-23
I saw a video of a bear guide/outfitter in Canada who exclusively uses ground blinds, and not tree stands, according to him for scent-control purposes. Could be good, who knows?

27-Jan-23
Jeb good info. Thanx

27-Jan-23
Lol yup ground blinds will be the next big thing over tree stands and saddles due to scent control.

27-Jan-23
Lol yup ground blinds will be the next big thing over tree stands and saddles due to scent control.

27-Jan-23
I imagine if you seal the thing up tight it would reduce your scent. Maybe close it up tight and hot box the thing with a few ozone machines and hang one of your mounts above one of the shooting windows lol.

27-Jan-23
Pretty sure SEEK One covered this in their video with the dog. Enough scent that even with a ground blind full of ozone tge dong still found him.

27-Jan-23
Obviously it’s not going to eliminate all your scent. Nothing will. But it will flow less with back window closed not blowing thru. That’s common sense. Which in turn, will spread less than being in a tree. It’s 6 in one half dozen in another. They all have their place. Each and every one of them.

27-Jan-23
MaPa x 2 . Love ground blind hunting! I shot my biggest buck from one in NY. It was tucked back in nasty thorn bushes, ten feet off a well used trail where I saw the buck sneak down the morning before. The next morning I was waiting for him well before light. About a half hour after legal light I heard a blue jay going crazy down the trail. I got ready and drew . When he stepped into the opening he was ten feet away broadside but there was a small tree covering most of his vitals. I'd never been that close to a live deer. I thought for sure he could see me!! I know there's not really expression on a deers face but I swear he looked like "oh crap !!" It felt like he stared at me for an hour, more like 30 seconds. Then he took that one more step I needed.

27-Jan-23
Covering the bottom of the blind edges with leaves and dirt helps minimize air flow and scent dispersal. The big advantage is your movement being hidden. Putting it out as soon as you can so they get used to it helps as well if you have private land.

I wouldn't use ozone in a blind. The ozone companies recommend having it on the outside of a blind, aimed over the openings.

27-Jan-23
Should you do a smoke bomb test?

27-Jan-23
Wait…a scent lock ground blind? That’s a great idea.

27-Jan-23
Just remembered a fun encounter in CT like 15 yrs ago. I'd set up the ground blind (double bull 360) and had the window closed behind me, just open in front, with the shoot through mesh down. I heard something coming from behind. It got really close. It started to SNIFF THE BLIND! now, I dont remember the wind direction at the time, but I could have flicked that deer on the nose through the blind, it was literally nose to blind. Sooo I can say that if they smell the blind, it scares them and they run away ha ha ha. But it was still fun.

Note, that blind was put up that day, and had zero destink done to it.

28-Jan-23
Lunker, From my experiences I think tent blinds hold in a good amount of your scent. As mentioned ,it helps to keep just one window open to eliminate cross draft(hunter) scent dispersal. I've never been closer to a buck than when in a tent blind; they work. Had a big fresh rub on a sapling 3ft to the side of the blind after it had been out two weeks; so it apparently doesn't frighten every buck. Sometimes it's the perfect option. (This thread is a great reminder to find a spot for my blind). Snow puts a lot of weight on the blind roof so it's good to set it under ie a strong limb and run a tie between top of roof to the limb for additional support . A skim of snow makes it invisible . They're great with a cross bow but vertical bow hunters should practice in one to learn limb clearance and where to position themselves in the blind. Easy to do snacks and coffee and if you drop your glove , no big whoop.

28-Jan-23
I rub a little Evercalm on mine

28-Jan-23
I tried ever calm. Never again. The deer around me in the big woods absolutely turned inside the f out and ran so far and so fast I think they got hit by a ferry heading to Martha’s Vineyard

28-Jan-23
Ma-Pa, did you mistakenly bring Old Spice ?

28-Jan-23
You gotta take the cap off before you rub it on

28-Jan-23
Big Dog - running a line between the top of the roof and a large limb is brilliant! Will try this next season

28-Jan-23
N8, many thanks and good luck

28-Jan-23
MA-PA I got the exact same reaction to evercalm. Immediately threw it in the trash when I got home.

If your blind ain't waterproof, it ain't scentproof either. Believe in whatever you want, identify as a "scent-eliminationist" if you want, can't tell you not to. But I dare you to enjoy some taco bell and have a buddy sit outside your blind...I can guarantee they'll be able to smell you. :D

28-Jan-23
Hick. Who the hell are you talk in to ? Who is "you" I hope your not referring to me cause I never referred to any of that.

28-Jan-23
Sorry, lunk. Not pointed at anyone in particular. Mostly a failed attempt at humor.

28-Jan-23
I let a buddy borrow my tent blind and he emptied a whole can of doe piss on it. You could see the wet oil marks and it staaank. I told him I was “pissed off” since it was new and I like to keep my stuff scent free and he claimed he sprayed it out the window and “the wind must’ve blown it back.” He asked to borrow it the next season but I couldn’t seem to find it…

• Sitka Gear