Bow Bullet 31-Jan-23
azelkhntr 31-Jan-23
bowyer45 31-Jan-23
azelkhntr 31-Jan-23
Bow Bullet 31-Jan-23
azelkhntr 31-Jan-23
PopeYoung400 31-Jan-23
29-Jan-23
Hey all, as I know many on bowsite might not get up here to NW Colorado any other time except hunting season I thought some may be interested in the kind of winter we are having and the impact I believe it will have on our deer/elk herds. We have been blessed with tons of snow so far and we will get more. Snow depths are such that ranch fences have disappeared and every evening you see migrations of slow moving elk going to every haystack they can find. I believe this is the scenario all the way to Utah. Maybe the CPW has plan in place to help get them fed. I know deer and elk are tough and resourceful but I’m concerned starvation is going to be substantial this year in our part of the state.

29-Jan-23
good deal. We are slow down here in Salida. Seems like a horseshoe affect around this area. We're not awful, but not great.

29-Jan-23
When was the last time you recalll having such a snow pack PY?

29-Jan-23
Elk hunter, it has been several years since we have received this much snow. I’d say 7-8 years ago but that year we weren’t at this depth this early in the winter. If this continues we may get to levels we haven’t seen since the 80s-90s. We are grateful for the moisture but wish we could take some of ours and share it with some dryer areas of the state.

29-Jan-23
Elk hunter, it has been several years since we have received this much snow. I’d say 7-8 years ago but that year we weren’t at this depth this early in the winter. If this continues we may get to levels we haven’t seen since the 80s-90s. We are grateful for the moisture but wish we could take some of ours and share it with some dryer areas of the state.

29-Jan-23
Well the good news is the runoff will be heading to Lake Powell. Is the sky crystal blue in your neck of the woods or do you think it looks washed out? Do you think the sun looks different than ususal?

29-Jan-23
Forgot what blue sky and the sun looks like.

29-Jan-23

29-Jan-23

29-Jan-23
You're going into the deep freeze tonight. We're getting the leading edge of the storms effects down here in So. AZ. I think this winter is going to last for longer than normal.

29-Jan-23
Colorado has been in drought conditions since about 2002. This year is a real winter again with all the snow. Hopefully the drought is about over.

29-Jan-23
Steamboat Springs, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife has begun to see impacts on wildlife as snow continues to pile up in Routt County. With another round of snow on the way to areas in the northwest this weekend, CPW wildlife officials expect to see additional impacts to wildlife.

During the winter months, wildlife will move to lower elevations where living conditions are more favorable for survival. These areas, referred to as winter range, have less snow coverage making it easier for wildlife to get to vegetation. Prolonged snow on the ground and cold temperatures have led to poor conditions in areas traditionally considered to be good winter habitat. Deep snow has made it difficult for wildlife to access vegetation, leading to starvation and in some cases death.

"Seeing animals in poor body condition or starving is hard," said Wildlife Officer Kyle Bond. “We know people mean well when they try to help. Unfortunately, that desire to help can be more harmful. It is hard to sit back and watch, but the reality is this is nature. Sometimes we have to let nature take its course.”

30-Jan-23
The good news is that come the spring the new wolf pups will be well fed.

30-Jan-23
Azelkhntr. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

31-Jan-23
So few animals here that food should not be a problem but highway and train whacking take a toll even on those few left. At some point hunters will wake up to reality, but I have no idea what point that will be. Them wolf pups will be eating horse and beef almost immediately upon release.

31-Jan-23
And I see Craig was -38 this morning. Yikes!

31-Jan-23
From: Paul@thefort30-Jan-23 Azelkhntr. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Winter kill. It was -18 in Craig which is bad enuff. -38 would have been muy no bueno.

31-Jan-23
The snow is up to the top of my snow fences, and within 6 inches of the tops of fences west of Craig. We will lose deer for sure, Probably elk too.

31-Jan-23
^^^ And the ranchers? How are they fairing?

31-Jan-23
Must have been wind chill. Still damn cold.

31-Jan-23
I stand corrected; The weather channel was incorrect. 'The Craig-Moffat Airport in Craig, Colorado recorded a low of -41.08 at 7:34 a.m., Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service, tying the Feb. 20, 1981, record low.'

Thats damn cold.

31-Jan-23
Nope. There was no wind and yes it was -38 degrees.

• Sitka Gear