Kansas
Contributors to this thread:
Deerdummmy 29-Jan-23
One Arrow 29-Jan-23
Matte 29-Jan-23
Thornton 29-Jan-23
MDW 30-Jan-23
29-Jan-23
Watching a video today got me thinking? The guy was hunting a new place he's never hunted . He had an 8 point he passed a few times. He says I decided to pass him because he's not old enough he's 4.5 years old. How would anyone know how old a deer is unless it had a distinguishing feature and they had years of history with that deer? Way to many deer biologists hunting today.

29-Jan-23
Fact is… you can’t. There are some things to look for, but they are all guesstimates. Ive watched bucks age from 2 to 7+. I have pics and video somewhere of a buck I know was older than 7 and his body looked like a 4 year old, unfortunately his rack always looked like a 2 year old:-)

I think it’s pretty easy up to 3, but after that it’s very difficult. But I’ve been wrong on that before as well.

I try very hard (sometimes too hard) to shoot bucks that are 5+. However, when a buck comes in you’ve never seen before that is fully mature, you make mistakes.

29-Jan-23
I go by the, if there is no doubt in your mind once you see the deer shoot it!

29-Jan-23
There were deer hunters killing big bucks long before there were biologists.

It's good to have an idea of how old a buck is if you're into shooting older deer.

There is a guy on here claiming to be a biologist that makes the dumbest statements I've ever read, rarely shoots a big buck, and his best friend rarely shoots a big buck despite using corn and owning several hundred acres of prime deer 'habitat'..

Just a few of my observations.

30-Jan-23
There was,"what I thought was a very good article", a very good article in one of the hunting magazines this past fall on aging deer by a well know writer. I think it was comparing visually looking at the body and tooth wear versus sectioning the tooth I can't find the article or remember the writer, but he went on about how most hunters miss the age by a lot, if they don't have a real history with the deer. Maybe someone else can find the article?

• Sitka Gear