Colorado
Contributors to this thread:
billygoat 01-Feb-23
Glunt@work 01-Feb-23
Treeline 03-Feb-23
seneca_inc 03-Feb-23
Orion 03-Feb-23
01-Feb-23
I'm considering burning 14 deer points for one of these hunts and would like to know how people liked or disliked it.

01-Feb-23
Might need to be more specific. I've heard a wide range of opinions and the particular ranch is probably the biggest factor.

03-Feb-23
I burned a bunch of deer points on a RFW tag many years ago. There were only like 3 buck tags on a ton of land in what I knew was a great area for deer. It was a late season, after all the regular seasons and the bucks should have been in full rut. I was pretty excited.

Got to the sign in and there were literally vehicles backed up like there was a concert going on. What I didn't know was that there were a ton of doe and cow elk tags on the property at the same time as the buck tag. When I finally got up to the sign in, the outfitter running it was probably really tired of dealing with all of the hunters and was a real jerk.

With all the pressure on the property, the deer and elk were moved off of most of the property and onto surrounding BLM or other property not in the RFW. The pressure was worse than what I typically would see in OTC regular seasons.

Shot a buck that happened to be just fixing to jump a fence out of the property onto BLM. My buddy drove the pickup up a road along a fence line in the property up to get closer to the deer. The ground was frozen hard. When we came back out, with the deer, the landowner met us at the gate and said that they had called the sheriff for trespass because we had driven in an area that did not have a road, even though there was a very obvious road up the fence line through the sagebrush and with the ground being frozen there were not even any tracks. We had a fairly heated discussion about the whole situation. We even offered to come and help them fix fences in the spring that the elk knocked over, and the landowner refused. They finally let us go without any citation for trespass, since we had permission to hunt there.

I will never waste any money or points on RFW again.

03-Feb-23
I had a less than pleasant experience antelope hunting on a RFW license in North Park. Similar to above, I will never waste points on a RFW license again.

03-Feb-23
If your thinking about the Purgatoire RFW I would get a hold of the Clarks at Traders Rendezvous in Gunnison. They had a less than stellar experience up there.

• Sitka Gear