Teeton 27-Apr-23
dpms 27-Apr-23
Griz 28-Apr-23
Rut Nut 28-Apr-23
Teeton 28-Apr-23
Phil Magistro 28-Apr-23
Rut Nut 28-Apr-23
20-Mar-23
How are things going with the UBP. Is the leadership contemplating how to address to stink over crossbows?

20-Mar-23
Folks can PM me if they want to keep UBP business off a public forum

20-Mar-23
The UBP leadership's lack of transparency is what got the UBP here in the first place. I would hope they would answer Woody's question so all of us can read it.

20-Mar-23
Woody, I don't think your going to get a answer here.

I would email and address your question to all members of the board in the email.. Here is the email address.. [email protected] Respectfully Ed

20-Mar-23
I can tell you that there is a quarterly meeting this coming Sunday morning. The subject has not been forgotten.

20-Mar-23
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll wait till after the meeting and send a message to the board. I do know the UBP needs to survive. Better minds than mine will make the right decisions I hope.

20-Mar-23
Just what we need:

https://youtu.be/D1xmXn7gLVg

20-Mar-23

Bowhunting 5C's Link

20-Mar-23
What I would appreciate is updates, not dirty laundry.

21-Mar-23
I don't consider it airing dirty laundry. I consider it being transparent. Many other UBP members consider it being transparent as well.

27-Mar-23
How did yesterday's quarterly meeting go? What was discussed? Were any new ideas/recommendations presented? What was decided?

29-Mar-23
I looked on the UBP website and was unable to find the by-laws. I will write to the office today to request a copy but have any other members read over that document?

Also, it would be helpful, and add to transparency, if the newsletter sent to members contained the meeting minutes for every BOD meeting. And it would be good to include a financial report each year along with the annual report of the board.

29-Mar-23
I was at the meeting (by zoom) and I can tell you we discussed the issues brought up here on past threads. Saving the UBP and transparency is at the top of the list. Our by-laws need updated which cannot be done overnight and we want to make sure the website is also. I hope to keep you posted.

29-Mar-23
Phil- that information is reported at the annual meeting every year. I believe it was not presented at the meeting this year due to the treasurer having a last minute conflict that made him unable to attend, but he made the info available by e-mail, I believe.

29-Mar-23
Art, Don't the members need to vote on changes to the by-laws?

Perry, My thoughts were more for the people that cannot get to the annual meeting to still have the information.

29-Mar-23
Thanks Art!

29-Mar-23
There is an entire procedure spelled out in the by-laws, which will be followed, Phil. I'm pretty sure we have to publish the changes, etc.

29-Mar-23
Thanks Art. I have no doubt the procedures will be followed. I only asked because I’ve served on other boards and have written by-laws and in them changes had to be approved by the membership so I thought that may be the case here.

30-Mar-23

Art, Don't the members need to vote on changes to the by-laws? Perry, My thoughts were more for the people that cannot get to the annual meeting to still have the information.

It is available for anyone who requests it Phil!

30-Mar-23
I understand. Can you give me one good reason, in the spirit of transparency, not to publish BOD meeting minutes in the member newsletter or put them on the member’s website?

The members shouldn’t have to request things like by-laws, meeting minutes or financials. They should be either sent to the members or available on the website.

30-Mar-23
I’m not involved with this Phil, so I have no idea. I’m just saying the info is readily available. It’s not very hard to send an e-mail.................... I would think if someone is that interested, they could take 20 seconds to send an e-mail.

30-Mar-23
I sent an email yesterday. I got a quick response but was told the minutes are being finalized and I'll get a copy when they are done. And the by-laws are being reviewed and updated.

But I think you are missing my point. I understand that an email should get the documents. My point is that the minutes should not have to be requested. There truly is no reason that the minutes, financials and by-laws cannot be posted on the "members" section available to member at any time. Many other boards do it that way.

30-Mar-23
That "stuff" is being worked on.

30-Mar-23
Thanks Art!

01-Apr-23
Art I sent you a pm

01-Apr-23
Good morning Dale. PM returned.

02-Apr-23
Even our little local bow club, a UBP sponsor, sends monthly meeting minutes, including treasurer's report and more to its members automatically. One shouldn't have to request it every time, or ever.

03-Apr-23

Bob McArthur's Link
"CROSSBOW POSITION STATEMENT The United Bowhunters of Illinois is adamantly opposed to the inclusion of any weapon that is not hand drawn and hand held in Illinois’ archery season. Specifically, we are opposed to the use of the crossbow and the drawlock device, as well as any other weapon that does not require the shooter to draw by hand, hold by hand, and release by hand. Such weapons have the potential to negatively alter the primitive weapon status originally designated for archery seasons in Illinois.

We are not opposed to the use of such devices by the truly handicapped, but we do question the legitimacy of some of these cases. Therefore we support all efforts by the IDNR to maintain the integrity in issuing handicap permits so as to minimize abuse in this practice.

ARCHERY SEASON POSITION STATEMENT The United Bowhunters of Illinois is opposed to the creation of any new hunting season, or the extension of any existing hunting season which will decrease the length of the archery only season or displace the season into less favorable dates. While the United Bowhunters of Illinois recognizes the rights of hunters who choose to use other weapons in seperate hunting seasons, we will oppose all efforts to include such users in Illinois’ archery season. "

03-Apr-23
That is great Position Statement Bob. Too bad the powers in the UBP probably don't have the fortitude to do the same. The loss of potential new members/revenue appears to be a motivating factor in not sticking to the the original intent of the organization. And, the last time I asked for an official, current financial statement, I was told I would need to pay for it. I believe, depending on how the org is set up tax wise, some of these things (financials, minutes, etc) must be provided to the membership on a regular basis.

03-Apr-23
Not understanding the comments on Illinois. Just checking and it seems crossbows are a legal weapon for their archery seasons. Are these statements from UB of Ill, from before crossbows were legalized? If not, it's just another "closing the barn door after the horses have left". Unfortunately here in PA I'm guessing vertical bow shooters are all ready out numbered by crossbow shooters. What's at stake now is whether and or what we need to do for the UBP to survive. Too many folks gave their all for the UBP, to let it fall by the wayside.

03-Apr-23

Bob McArthur's Link
"Our Mission The Colorado Bowhunters Association proudly accepts the mission:

to encourage and perpetuate the sport of bowhunting for all legal game. to protect, improve and increase the opportunities for hunting with the hand held, hand drawn bow. to cooperate with and support federal and state agencies, sportsmen’s associations, and conservation organizations, which are insuring the propagation and preservation of game and its habitat. to encourage and conduct educational programs designed to acquaint the public and the archer with the safe and ethical use of the bow for hunting and bowhunting as an effective method of hunting legal game. to foster unity and perpetuate the spirit of good fellowship among bowhunters. to develop and advocate specific policies that support and help fulfill the Mission.

Policy Statement

Bowhunting Seasons:

The CBA will promote seasons and season structures that strengthen and enhance the opportunities for bowhunting with the hand held, hand drawn bow and actively oppose seasons and season structures that diminish or degrade those opportunities without evidence of overriding wildlife management goals.

Legal Bowhunting Equipment:

The CBA will develop and promote bowhunting regulations with thresholds that limit hunters to using only the hand held, hand drawn bow and that emphasize archery and bowhunting skills.

Crossbows:

The CBA categorically rejects crossbow technology as being legal archery equipment for use during any archery season in Colorado, and will actively oppose the use of crossbows or implementation of crossbow seasons under any circumstance, where such use will diminish or degrade the bowhunting experience, opportunity and/or quality with the hand held, hand drawn bow."

03-Apr-23
Colorado and Illinois statements are great. However, how old are they and the comparison is not current I would bet.

03-Apr-23
Illinois appear to be current. They have a couple refences in the options for 2023.

Does it matter how old they are?

03-Apr-23

Bob McArthur's Link
Both are current. So is this one.

https://newyorkbowhunters.com/xbow/

03-Apr-23
My point would be applying those to 2023 in Pa with one of the highest populations of registered bowhunters. Their mission statements are great, but probably not under assault as ours were.

04-Apr-23
I love that chart in the NYB statement!

06-Apr-23
Kudos to New York Bowhunters. No reason for UBP not to follow their lead.

24-Apr-23
?

25-Apr-23

Bob McArthur's embedded Photo
Bob McArthur's embedded Photo
You get 2 shots with this crossbow. Just like a double barreled slug gun.

27-Apr-23
John,aka bowhunting5c,, I've asking verbally and in emails for ubp Treasurer reports and minutes of the meetings. I have not got any. Can you help??

To me not getting responses to my requests, kinda blows the, ask the UBP don't post it here. I'd like to know whats going on? I hope we're not getting the, just give it time and it will all blow over. It's been about a year in a half since this all started. Anyone know if they are going to do any polls of the membership? I believe (?) at the January meet they said they would be.

27-Apr-23
"You get 2 shots with this crossbow. Just like a double barreled slug gun."

Thankfully, I only needed one!

28-Apr-23
Teeton, I believe that is exactly what they are doing. Burying their head in the sand until it blows over. Nothing new, they've been doing that for years. Any controversy involving the mechanics/politics of the org and it results in silence. Ask Bob M. They've been avoiding him for a long time because he hits the nail on the head. I need to find out exactly what type of org the UBP is because based on their tax status, there may be requirements for publishing minutes and financials.

28-Apr-23
I talked to Rick (President) at the DHP Banquet and he said they are in the process of taking a close look at the bylaws to make sure everything they are doing is “by the books.” I specifically asked about the mission statement and crossbow position statement and he stated NOTHING was changed because of the way the bylaws were written. He also stated that if the bylaws are not followed it could jeopardize our status as a 501c organization..................

I do agree that the requested information should be forthcoming though! (In a timely manner)

28-Apr-23
Frist, I'm at work and this is going to be short... I was contacted by two board members yesterday and after them contacts I do feel that the Board is moving forward and in a good way. But yes, It is taking some time. But right now I do feel better about things. After chatting, I feel the time frame is not going to be weeks but months.

I'd like to thanks all the members and Board members past and present for work they did and are doing right now, Kudo's,,,,

Ed

28-Apr-23
Rut, According to PA law, the by-laws are legal governing document for non-profit organizations and Rick is doing the right thing by reviewing them to make sure they are followed. The Board and officers are held personally responsible to make sure they are followed.

28-Apr-23
Agreed Phil!

Glad to hear they reached out to you Ed!

• Sitka Gear