Paul@thefort 06-May-23
Glunt@work 06-May-23
Paul@thefort 06-May-23
Jaquomo 06-May-23
Paul@thefort 09-May-23
KsRancher 09-May-23
Paul@thefort 09-May-23
03-May-23
Just saw the ville on YouTube. 75/25 For all draw licenses. 80/20 for high demand Would like to have seen otc included, but maybe another day

03-May-23
Thanks to sportsmans rep on the commission Gabe Otero for making the motion. Shout out to commisioner Tuchton who originated the discussion on it.

Big boo to Commisioner Blecha, Our supposed sportsman's rep for voting against it. Also voting against were commisioner Vardy and the Sportsmen/Oufitter rep.

03-May-23
Good news and yes, Thank you Commissioner Otero and Tuchton and those who voted for it. And thanks to those sportspersons who took the time to contact the Commission about this issue. My email to the Commission recommended what was approved. Paul

04-May-23
so 75/25 now instead of 65/35 for the lower demand units?

04-May-23
Yes, but I'm not sure, it might be 2024 or 25 on that

04-May-23
Did they do anything with point banking? As a high point holder, I received a survey at the end of March and it stated this would be brought up at this meeting.

"Results will be shared in aggregate and made publicly available for the May 3-4, 2023 Parks and Wildlife Commission meeting."

04-May-23
Point banking was listed as informational today, which means nothing up for vote.

Ideas and thoughts floated around on a work group, but I don't think CPW ever got direction on what the work group would be tasked to look at.

Just my guess, but I don't think if a motion was offered up to pass point banking, that it would pass. More uncertainty to come, no final answer today.

04-May-23
as Paul stated, Thanks to those who gave video testimony. Steve Hilde and 2 others, one representing CBA gave goog comments. Really like the fact that they pointed out how other western states had much more restrictive res/nr quota's

If I would critique the testimony, I would only make one suggestion, and it's only my opinion. Spend less time with the long "thank you's for allowing me to contribute" accolades since the testimony time is limited. They work on our behalf. Proper communcating reccomends a simple "Thank You CPW & commission" to be appropriate.

04-May-23
Thank you Paul for the email address to contact the Commission about this issue

04-May-23
What is the plan to address the revenue drop in going from 35% NR to 25% NR for the lower demand units? Seems like this would be a significant amount of $$.

04-May-23
Aspen Ghost, with a 52 million surplus last year, a couple million reduction shouldn't be big deal. CPW has the highest revenue of any state wildlife dept. in the country, a bit of a cut back isn't a bad thing.

04-May-23
Aspen Ghost Like Nebraska cutting Turkey tags

04-May-23
Hopefully they increase the tags prices to NR’s to make up for the reduction in tags. But not to worry if you don’t draw your NR elk tag you can still buy an OTC and come hunt with everyone else in the country.

04-May-23
I doubt the dollars lost for Nebraska cutting a few dozen 100$ turkey tags is comparable to Colorado having 10% of the low draw tags sold dropping $650 in price. I also suspect that "a couple million reduction" is in fact a big deal. I just wondered whether they had come forward publicly with the fix yet.

04-May-23
Aspen Ghost why would they? The OTC cash cow is still running. Even going 75/25 in draw units they will still make a record profit again this year because OTC isn't slowing down, especially with all the other states around us getting more restrictive on their R/NR tag allocations

04-May-23
The raise in NR cow elk tags will cover some and I'm sure they'll figure out away to make up the revenue. Losing a couple million wouldn't hurt them one bit but good luck convincing cpw of that.

04-May-23
Tuchton asked me how I felt about a fee for points to make up for the revenue, said multiple sportsmen suggested it in exchange for a better tag allocation.

I cautioned him elk is the only species where creep is justifiable, and a family with 4 kids and two adults applying for 6 species each would be crushed by point fees.

The commission currently has authority to add on point fees.

To raise prices requires legislation. Asking the legislature for more money with a 52 million dollar surplus ain't going to happen.

If greed for more funds occurs, look for point fees. It wasn't my idea! I would suspect both residents and nonresidents would be assessed those fees, boundaries don't matter on that.

04-May-23
Fix what problem? There is no revenue problem. If the budget is tight, it's a spending problem.

05-May-23
Hopefully this is a step toward putting a cap on or making NR OTC tags draw only. It's frustrating having CO being everyones back up plan if they don't draw in a state that puts preference toward their residents and charges 30%-80% more for NR tags than CO.

06-May-23
Keep dreaming quinn otc in colorado isnt going away & .it will never go draw only colorado would lose way to much revenue

06-May-23
"otc in colorado isnt going away & .it will never go draw only colorado would lose way to much revenue". What info do you have to support this?

06-May-23
I don't have a crystal ball, but based on the last decade, OTC archery is likely to go away. Rifle numbers haven't exploded like archery has so that may be farther down the road. We'll see what happens when the impact of wolves starts hitting.

I hate to see resident bowhunters lose OTC archery elk tags. One of the reasons, on a shrinking list of reasons, that a bowhunter has to live here.

06-May-23
CBA will make a big push to retain OTC for residents.

06-May-23
Paul, don't fret - ultimag is a know-nothing troll from New York.

09-May-23
Eight Commissions approved the 75/25 and 80/20 percentages. Three Commissioners vote no. Comments on line and in person to the Commission surely turned the tide in a positive way for Colorado's resident big game hunters.

09-May-23
I am going to start off with saying that I think 75/25 or 80/20 is fair. But the way I see it happening is that there will still be plenty of demand for the tags. And there will still be a lot of residents that don't get the tags that they want. I would guess that after several years of residents not drawing what they want. There will be another push to limit nonresidents even more. I see this going kind of like the bonus points system. You think that since you have a lot of bonus points you should get the tag. Or since you are a resident you should get the tag you want. Even though as a resident your odds are better its not as big of a needle mover as some think it will be going from 65/35 to 80/20

I am sincerely asking residents your thoughts. Am I seeing this correctly? Or am I way off base?

09-May-23
It is not going from 65/35 to 80/20 as you stated. The regular draw will change from 65/35 to 75/25 giving more resident license and preference to Colorado residents. The high demand draw ( those units that require an average of 6 resident PP, will stay the same at 80/20. CPW staff recommended a Across the Board of 75/25 for both draws.

The difference in the 80/20 High Demand draw now, is that the three year average as been updated to current 3 year average thus adding more resident license for residents, per elk, deer, bear, and pronghorn. Again giving more preference to Colorado residents.

I doubt if the Commission will be addressing this issue any time soon after just approving this change.

• Sitka Gear