pikemaster 15-Jun-23
19-May-23
when?

19-May-23
Primary Draw (bear, deer, elk, moose & pronghorn) May 30 - June 2

19-May-23
Don' they normally come early?

19-May-23
Not anymore. Used to be some back door ways to figure out if you drew. They slammed that shut a few years ago. Sucks that it takes so long for them to complete the draw… with computers, it should be damn near instantaneous.

19-May-23
I think the only early indicator is a credit card hit.

19-May-23
Treeline that's true but I'd rather them check and double check then pull a bone head move like Montana this year or Idaho last year and screw things up!

19-May-23
The draw is likely done.

19-May-23
If you look at previous Draw Recaps, you can see the draw dates in the upper right corner.

Last year (2022) Moose was drawn on May 5th

19-May-23
^^^ And notifications were sent out May 31 (if I recall correctly)

20-May-23
I hope I drew but with the NW Winter kill I really will need scout early to see if it is worth burning points

20-May-23
We're up here today in Meeker running around turkey hunting and fishing and seeing lots of deer and elk so seems like normal to me

21-May-23
Totally different story north of Meeker and into Wyoming...

22-May-23
In 2022 my results emails from CPW came on this schedule:

Tuesday 5/31 3:50 pm - Moose
Thursday 6/02 12:02 pm - Deer
Thursday 6/02 5:12 pm - Pronghorn
Friday 6/03 2:14 pm - Elk

30-May-23
Well. Are the results going to start today? If so, I am assuming moose today based off of the post above.

30-May-23
I was told they switch what species is released first each year not sure if that's true?

Pronghorn should be a lock.

Deer a long shot.

Moose a even longer shot.

Elk points only.

Looks like that wasn't right as moose is hitting now. Just a point here.

30-May-23
Surprised nobody posting a happy moose result yet. The Cc hits have been rolling…

30-May-23
^^^ I’m surprised you’re not posting that you drew another cow moose tag. :)

30-May-23
“I’m surprised you’re not posting that you drew another cow moose tag. :)”

LOL!!! or at least my wife a bull with max points but no such luck…

30-May-23
PushCo, that's possible....

In 2021 the order was Deer then Moose then Elk then Pronghorn.

In 2020 it was Moose then Deer then Elk then Pronghorn

30-May-23
RIP bowsite…Other sites buzzing with moose draw results. Likely the same guys who used to frequent this site.

30-May-23
Be interesting to see what they release tomorrow.

30-May-23
My CPW account just updated my moose draw to "not rewarded. "

30-May-23
"Not awarded"

30-May-23
3 plus zero, too cheap to buy points. Drew cow moose. Shot a bull moose about 5 years ago, back to the scene of the crime. My daughters favorite is moose roast, gotta do what ya can to keep the kids and wife happy.

30-May-23
Cindy and I just got notified of moose. Both first choice...PP.

30-May-23
Heard people are getting hit for Bear

30-May-23
Congratulations, Steve!

No luck here after over 30 years of applying. Sick of buying worthless points u set that last BS change. Hopefully see a change that makes them worth something in the future. Sucks watching 3+0 draw the hunt you applied for when a guy has ten times that number of years applying and, now, purchasing useless points!!

30-May-23
MYCPW just popped up a bear point and a moose point.

30-May-23
Congrats Steve. These are the good old days for cow moose. My guess is that in the future it will be about as hard to draw as a bull tag is now.

30-May-23
I drew bull moose, woohoo!

30-May-23

Ging0014's Link
Hopefully this helps the lucky moose tag holders. I drew a point this year.

30-May-23
My wife drew her bull tag last year.....and this year I drew my bull moose tag...finally! Now the fun begins.

Any helpful info in GMU 12/23/24 is always appreciated!

30-May-23
Huge Congrats Mark & Phillip!!! It's a bitter sweet feeling when you finally draw! Congrats Steve on the cow tag! Best of luck to you guys!

31-May-23
I drew a cow moose tag as a non-resident at 3+2. I'm pretty stoked to get a chance at hunting a new state and species!

31-May-23
Deer is hitting cc now.

31-May-23
No bear for me!

31-May-23
Looking like even my home state hates me. Going to be a full swath of "unsuccessful" for Colorado.

Looking like a full swath of unsuccessful for multiple states so far - Montana, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, and a few others. Still in the game for a few other long shots but not much chance on any of those.

Would have been a good year to have a big hunt scheduled somewhere...

31-May-23
No tags for me

01-Jun-23
Elk is hitting cc now.

01-Jun-23
No deer for me.

01-Jun-23
Based on the CC hit looks like I drew 76 for elk.

01-Jun-23
Pretty sure my hunting buddy drew a hybrid 61 tag. His card was hit for the right amount & that’s all he had in his cart.. gonna be a fun Sept.

01-Jun-23

01-Jun-23
Elk and Antelope for me. I think it's hilarious how quickly they posted deer yesterday after charging the credit cards and now after charging the credit cards around 4:00 a.m. are taking forever. As if torturing us on purpose

01-Jun-23
Right moose the day before deer was also smooth. Not sure what the problem is. Hopefully antelope goes smoother tomorrow.

01-Jun-23
I was already charged for my Antelope tag

01-Jun-23
Man I hope that doesn't mean what I think it does for my antelope tag. Was the charge today?

01-Jun-23
I made a mistake. That was my moose point. I did draw the elk tag I wanted

01-Jun-23
Ok good to know. Anxiously awaiting the antelope results should have a tag but point creep seems tough this year.

01-Jun-23
Only draw for me this year was my Eastern Plains archery deer tag.

01-Jun-23
Unit 40 Archery elk

01-Jun-23
I'm starting to think some of my posts criticizing the State Government have effected my odds. I need to find that link for good VPN I saw.

02-Jun-23
Looks like antelope charges on cc

02-Jun-23
NO moose, NO elk=PP, NO deer=PP, NO pronghorn=PP, NO desert sheep draw licenses. Starting to be a BAD Year. Did not fill my two Nebraska turkey archery tag, and last week, no fish. Maybe a good year to stay home and just commune with nature in the back yard. Maybe a Nebraska deer tag.

02-Jun-23
Drew my 1st choice pronghorn tag and 2nd choice deer. Going to surrender the deer tag sense I drew a NM deer tag this year. Looking like a fun fall.

02-Jun-23
Drew Colorado deer but did not draw elk. No worries though because I already drew a Wyoming elk tag.

03-Jun-23
I'm in unit 61, 27 points.

03-Jun-23
Paul...I would hold off on buying that lottery ticket!

Congrats to all that drew.

07-Jun-23
1 for 5 here and the one I drew was 2nd choice deer.

07-Jun-23
Did not draw an Elk tag, but I am ok with that. Maybe next year. I can always go OTC which honestly I wish they would change that. So many people with so many points. Colorado needs to figure out how to reduce that either by cashing in a point on an OTc or 2nd choice draw.

07-Jun-23
They should not refund points on returned tags from the primary draw and it should use your points on the secondary draw if successful. There's really no reason why either one shouldn't cost your points. After the primary and secondary draw then sell tags without taking points so that as many permits as possible are sold. That would help burn points a little.

07-Jun-23

Grasshopper's embedded Photo
"I can always go OTC which honestly I wish they would change that."

So your ok you didn't get a tag, and wish they would change it so that so that no one can get a tag when they don't draw? I just do not understand that line of thinking.

Yep, 700,000 elk points out there, and CPW stated, I think it was 95 plus precent of all hunt codes can be drawn with 2 points or less. On average, residents carry less then 3 preference points, and nonresidents carry less then 4.

Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, Oregon, WA, and more all offer elk tags for nonresidents.

It blows my mind how folks wish to limit their own opportunity.

No offense intended, sometimes the best change is changing your own mind.

07-Jun-23
Sometimes the resource has to be put before our opportunity. At the very least any A tag someone gets no matter if you get it in the main draw, secondary draw, leftover, or OTC you should loose your points. Also need to stop making it so ridiculously easy and consequence free to turn tags back in.

07-Jun-23
Ah yes, the "lets put the resource first answer." If I had a nickel for every time I have heard that....

Great, lets do it by reducing nonresident take and participation in OTC areas during BGSS. You now outnumber residents.

The elk resource was 309,000 before this winter, not sure why a resident should have any limits. Some OTC areas have low bull ratios, lets fix that. Most herd management plans today call for maximum opportunity. Changing a licensing scheme (OTC vs limited) or point usage and acquisition policies have NOTHING to do with herd population dynamics. Look at all the archery units that went limited, yet still have OTC rifle tags. The archery quota is high, 2nd and 3rd rifle are taking bulls with no limits. What changed? Bowhunters must use points to be guaranteed a license.

If you want to change herd dynamics show up and testify with that same "resource first" line in May when quotas are set, or comment on herd plans.

07-Jun-23
Ah yes, the "lets put the resource first answer." If I had a nickel for every time I have heard that....

Interesting must be a lot of people who feel the same way I do guess we're all fools. I'm all for limiting all NR OTC elk tags archery and rifle and have said as much to cpw many times. Unlimited OTC tags no matter what weapon is no way to manage a resource and hunters. I never said I wanted to change herd dynamics and agree "limited" areas can still be over prescribed tags changing almost nothing other then having to apply in the draw to obtain it. But it's the first step in being able to set reasonable quotas in a attempt to manage not just the animals but the hunter's which becomes more of a issue every year. There's way more people hunting the west then 20 years ago thinking you can manage things with the same status quo system isn't realistic.

07-Jun-23

"lets put the resource first" Its like you just went to a BHA pint night seminar. I mean no offense, but that with nothing else, no facts, no specificity, means very little to me.

I hear you say there is just to many hunters, LETS CLARIFY to many hunters FOR YOU, right? If that is the case, then it not about the resource, it is about you, right?

Here is the resource. Which herd needs needs different management? In OTC with maximum opportunity management the bull to ratio cow ratio has been in the 20- 30 range for as long as can remember. It still is. Go through this, pick all the OTC units, pour over the HMP's and let us know how getting rid of OTC hunters will fix it all. Especially when they take the units limited and set the quota to exactly the number of hunters they had before limitations.

I am about to give up on you guys, this BGSS might be the death of opportunity. Shut all OTC down, the 700,000 points out there will all be headed for mid tier units. You get what you vote for and it is going to suck.

07-Jun-23
Grasshopper let's be very clear I'm far from the only person who believes overcrowding is a issue. Herd numbers haven't changed much can you say the same about the number of bowhunters chasing elk in Colorado? First the SW now Grand mesa the writing seems to be on the wall plus every area lost just increases the crowding issues in those left. I just don't see the upside to OTC unlimited elk tags especially when it comes to NR other then everyone who wants to gets to hunt elk every year. Colorado has some of the best mule deer hunting in the west in both opportunity and quality. I see no reason that system couldn't work for elk. Our opinions differ no doubt due to us having different perspectives that's fine can't agree with everyone about everything.

07-Jun-23
Got the phone call I guess I'm going moose hunting again thanks for the person that turned it a back

07-Jun-23
Awesome

08-Jun-23
Limiting units may get guys all the inconvenience of losing OTC and none of the benefits they want .

The limited unit I have been hunting has at least as much pressure as my go-to OTC spots and success rates are dismal.

08-Jun-23
Look how our deer herd became world class when they limited all deer units. I think the same could happen with elk if we allowed some age class.

The argument is not resource vs opportunity, in my opinion. The benefit that I see is limited licenses for all units and seasons would allow cpw to manage herds in the micro rather than the macro. It will allow them to balance out the pressure across seasons and units. No one, to my knowledge, is saying they need to limit licenses and cut tag numbers. The opportunity can still exist, especially for residents…

08-Jun-23
Congrats Brandon! I guess you were next in line.

08-Jun-23
Our deer herds? Deer management? Not sure which state you are living in or if you have ever read the CWD management plan that puts the bullseye on older bucks. Compare our deer herds now to what we had in the 60's and 70's, look at the quotas in any CWD unit. Look at list B and list C tags. We shoot the old bucks, and then shoot the does to get to ratios so they don't die. I remember the local deer herd in the late 80's. A drive to Estes Park after dark was risking your life.

I will be voting for OTC for residents. and some form of nonresident limits. With 300,000 elk resident limitations and herd performance as it it is, limiting residents makes no sense. Especially archers while rifle hunters get a free for all.

09-Jun-23
Grashopper, I have read all your comments and I think we both want the same thing. Quality hunts with less pressure. To do this OTC needs to cost something or do like what Kansas just adapted if you put in for the draw on Pronghorn you are not allowed to OTC archery hunt. I have hunted Colorado for almost 30 years as a NR. Things have definitely changed in those years. Again like I said there are alot of pp that need to be cashed in.

09-Jun-23
Matt there are a million options that could be done with preference points. The issue is still on the table at the commission this month. They have been stuck on point banking forever now. I think banking is stupid but there are options.

We probably would all like improved hunts with lower density and agree on much.

The current bgss question is who should be limited. The past answer was just all archers. That isn't why the sw region has 12 bulls per 100 cows.

5 years ago the cba was real reasonable and the ideas proposed went no where.

Residents should retain otc. More data to follow in the next few days on Facebook

The

09-Jun-23
Matt there are a million options that could be done with preference points. The issue is still on the table at the commission this month. They have been stuck on point banking forever now. I think banking is stupid but there are options.

We probably would all like improved hunts with lower density and agree on much.

The current bgss question is who should be limited. The past answer was just all archers. That isn't why the sw region has 12 bulls per 100 cows.

5 years ago the cba was real reasonable and the ideas proposed went no where.

Residents should retain otc. More data to follow in the next few days on Facebook

The

11-Jun-23
I read these comments, and have talked some with Steve. What is happening here in the sw is something you guys aren't aware of. And you worry about your local units, and should be. Let's talk of this for a minute. As a resident hunter, if you don't draw a tag the first round of the draw, you're basically thrown out and not ran back through for the second round. Resident tags not drawn in the first round are turned over to the non resident tag allotment. That's what is happening in 80/81, 77/78. Non residents are drawing over 48% of the tags in these units. You guys are stuck on the whole 75/25 split that CPW is saying they're doing. They might be doing that the first round of the draw, but resident hunters are not getting the 75% of the tags here in sw Colorado. What do you think is going to happen the to the units you're worrying about?

Everyone wants quality animals, and most said they are willing to wait to draw tags. How long are you willing to wait to hunt your unit? 2 years? 4 years? Whats funny is that guys think they'll see quality animals once everything goes to draw, but with non residents getting over 50% of the tags, and unlimited rifle seasons, you'll never see the quality animals you want and desire.

Now, lets talk about mule deer and the world class mule deer hunting that Colorado has to offer.... lol. This cracks me up!! World class mule deer? Where? Come down here to sw Colorado during the second or third season, spend 7 days hunting, and show me the number of 180" to 200" bucks you've seen. It's not going to happen. In the end, you'll be happy to tag a lil 140" buck, or a forky. Colorado is not a world class mule deer state anymore.

11-Jun-23
I’m talking about the change from 90’s otc tags, and the quality of bucks we had from 2000-2007.

You guys knew that, but go ahead and spin it to fit your narrative…

11-Jun-23

Grasshopper's Link
I don't think anyone is spinning anything. This whole discussion is about licensing schemes and the draw.

You said "Limited licensing would allow cpw to manage herds in the micro rather than the macro. It will allow them to balance out the pressure across seasons and units. No one, to my knowledge, is saying they need to limit licenses and cut tag numbers."

Dan Prenzlow quote "When deer went to totally limited licensing, we lost 80,000 hunters and they never came back.

The only level of "micro" management CPW does is at the herd level. The management plan is for a DAU, might be one GMU, might be 10. They won't start micro managing the white river herd by GMU. One rifle hunt code right now for the white river has a ton of GMU's and a quota of 5,000 rifle tags with 1800 leftovers.

The other problem is you can take away OTC, but the herd management plan still says "maximum opportunity" because they won't put the term "cash cow" in management plans.

That said, I'd encourage you to go testify at the next commission meeting and ask they change their management to a micro level. I'd like to see that. 8^)

Hows that for spin?

12-Jun-23
Reduce lions by 50% and watch the mule deer bounce back!

12-Jun-23
Mule deer population 400,000

Lion population 5,000

5,000 x 30 deer per year = 150,000 deer becoming cat poop

12-Jun-23
I question if we really have 400,000 mule deer. I'm also guessing that the lion number is on the low side. Look how long it took CPW to address our bear issue

13-Jun-23
I have sent in my comments. I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said regarding the challenges, but managing in the micro has been proven to benefit the resource, will they change? I also doubt it! Should they change? I believe yes.

15-Jun-23
Wife drew unit 61Elk hybrid tag. Was able to hunt it in 2012 with cnelk and 2013 with a close family member. Be interesting to see the changes in the area. Come on September!!

• Sitka Gear