Burt 20-Sep-23
LBshooter 25-Sep-23
LBshooter 25-Sep-23
Burt 25-Sep-23
Highlife 26-Sep-23
LBshooter 26-Sep-23
Highlife 27-Sep-23
22-Jun-23
I SEEN A FAWN NURSING A DOE LAST WEEK AND AND I'M GETTING A LITTLE ANTSY. I TOOK MY BOW IN TO CHECK THE CABLES AND ORDERED SOME ARROWS. I GOT 1 OF MY NEW CELL CAMERA WORKING AND I'LL START THE 2ND ONE MID AUGUST. THE UPPER PART OF THE STATE NEEDS RAIN BAD AND IF IT DOESN'T CHANGE FALL HUNTING MIGHT BE DIFFERENT. ENJOY THE SUMMER.

30-Jun-23
Enjoy yours Ken. Just got my shotgun and muzzy refund checks back . It's cool thou I've my little farm in Tennessee and gun and bow in Wisconsin plus I'll get my Illinois either sex archery tag in September. Starting my year off with a wolf hunt so......no I'm not getting excited about it ;)

04-Jul-23
Another few weeks and I start getting pumped. I'm expecting and good season. With the very light winter last year the deer should be fat and numerous, I hope.

16-Jul-23
Just put my camera out after I drove by and saw 3 good ones. I wasn’t paying too much attention but after seeing these bucks I’m going to start. They weren’t huge but they were definitely mature.

17-Jul-23
I got Wyoming elk & New Mexico deer hunts to distract me all the way to the Illinois deer opener. Departing August 25th. All my 2023 IL scouting was concluded in April.

19-Jul-23
So Zim, you hunting public in Illinois or private?

29-Jul-23

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
I only do public. Scouted a slammer new property where I subsequently drew a special permit.

29-Jul-23
What part of the state ?

31-Jul-23
I've seen more fawns this year than ever. I finally got my cameras put out last week. I'm ready for cooler weather and some time in the woods.

31-Jul-23
North for a change. But got a big monkey wrench thrown into plans, as my regular work routine will change Oct-March. Won’t even be able to form a strategy until I see my new facility list in mid Sept.

04-Aug-23
ok Zim, what state park in the north you hunting?

04-Aug-23
ok Zim, what state park in the north you hunting?

07-Aug-23
Goose Lake Prairie State Natural Area

07-Aug-23
Ok, a buddy shot a beauty out there 2 years ago. He shot the smaller of the two bucks standing. So there are some big ones running around still if the DNR hasn't shot them all out. You know they are culling that area for CWD.

07-Aug-23
I hunted out there years ago. It’s a big area that has potential but it is very open so that makes it difficult to hunt sometimes. I didn’t hear they were culling there but my buddy shot a deer nearby that had cwd a few years back. That whole culling thing is really disappointing. I’m glad I hunt a little south so that is not a problem.

08-Aug-23
Yea CWD is around, not a lot and they ar trying to nip it before it really sets in. At least that's what they are telling us. Only time will tell but if you hunt around that area the state will test your deer for free, cut the head and drop it at the site. No evidence if CWD is transferable but they say if it tests positive they will come pick up the deer and dospose of it.

08-Aug-23
Yea CWD is around, not a lot and they ar trying to nip it before it really sets in. At least that's what they are telling us. Only time will tell but if you hunt around that area the state will test your deer for free, cut the head and drop it at the site. No evidence if CWD is transferable but they say if it tests positive they will come pick up the deer and dospose of it.

08-Aug-23

16-Sep-23
Hey Zim, was out at goose and I think I saw your big boy. He was a beauty and my buddy saw him two, looks like you might have some comp.

20-Sep-23
Goose Lake is a weird one with the power plant next door on the northern tract. Mostly it's catching deer on the path from restricted grounds to private lands across the roads. If you are on the southern property with the creeks that can be decent when the water is low. There isn't too much pressure in October when it's still archery with hangtags so hunt early.

When gun season rolls around you will have well over 50 guys show up for the morning draws and they will permit a couple dozen along with the guys who got a lottery permit in the mail. They have a gun hunt of some type basically every other weekend starting November through January.

25-Sep-23
Yea, I don't and won't hunt there, I don't trust the idiots with guns when I'm walking around in tall grass. A buddy of mine hunts there and shot a nice 150 ish there a few years ago. Some big deer in that tall grass.

Hey Zim, I'll be looking for that buck your chasing in a pic .

25-Sep-23
Yea, I don't and won't hunt there, I don't trust the idiots with guns when I'm walking around in tall grass. A buddy of mine hunts there and shot a nice 150 ish there a few years ago. Some big deer in that tall grass.

Hey Zim, I'll be looking for that buck your chasing in a pic .

25-Sep-23
In the past with slugs it was always sketchy. I cannot image how this year will go with centerfires now allowed. Deer can definitely be seen at 300-400 yards there which were well out of range in prior years. Someone with a 350 Legend or 45-70 will inevitably be taking those long pokes.

26-Sep-23
I do believe someone was shot out there years ago. The place can definitely be a circus.

26-Sep-23
I plan on using my 45/70 however I would not take a 3-400 yard shot. One I don't use a scope, and 2 a 350 legend is like a 30/30, not a long range gun. The calibers allowed have a slight edge on a slug and you only have one shot. My muzzle loader is a 300 yard gun but I don't take those shots.

27-Sep-23
I've got a 220 that shoots a helluva a lot better than I can but if I carry my end it'll cloverleaf at 150 yards. Shooting SST 's

• Sitka Gear