Big Dog 30-Nov-23
nehunter 30-Nov-23
Hunter3 14-Dec-23
Tall 1 14-Dec-23
longbeard 14-Dec-23
longbeard 14-Dec-23
Corax_latrans 14-Dec-23
27-Nov-23
Tonight is a full Beaver Moon....that's all. I do remember seeing my first....

27-Nov-23
The moon or the beaver?..lol

28-Nov-23
Can a beaver make you one with the moon ?

28-Nov-23
Out of curiosity - do any of you guys pay close attention to moon phases coinciding with deer movement ??

Or is it just more about hunt when you can regardless of moon phase.

I used to pay attention to it but never saw any real evidence in my notes about whether hunting was any better or worse.

Curious what you guys think ??

28-Nov-23
The only thing I noticed is Full moons I see less deer most of the time.

28-Nov-23
I used to buy the moon chart with the moon times specifically listed. If the "moon time" was shortly after first light or in the last hour of the day, I hunted it with a preference. I might do a mid day hunt if the moon time was in between. When I paid it much mind, I have to say I saw lots of deer. Now I just hunt when I have time but notice that during full moons, less deer.

28-Nov-23
Nope. Don’t pay attention to moon phase. Just go when have chance-

28-Nov-23
When the moon is overhead or underfoot the chances go up you will see deer movement. That translates to best times to hunt is during the evening or morning of a quarter moon phase. Best time to hunt a full moon is midday, especially during the rut. Throw in the leading or trailing edge of a storm front and you've got about all you can handle to track best times to hunt.

28-Nov-23
I'll look at the moon phases, but hunt when I can. I haven't intentionally done a 10-2 hunt during a full moon. My schedule usually doesn't allow it. I do look at the phases after I see deer to see if they were out during the time frame specified. It also gives me confidence if phase is supposed to be while I'm hunting.

28-Nov-23
I think over the years I have seen less movement the morning after a full moon. I go out anyway just to get out and sit for few hours.

28-Nov-23
I’m with Steve. Full moon phase equals less deer on my morning hunts. Maybe they don’t like the length of their shadows walking behind them. Easier for pray to pick them off maybe.

28-Nov-23
I’ve had way more success paying attention to daily moon position than I have going by moon phase

29-Nov-23
Full moon , mornings have very few deer. Overhead and underfoot moon times generally coincide with better hunting and not always during early AM or late PM especially just after peak breeding when big bucks are still trolling late morning .

29-Nov-23

I have noticed that with a full moon, movement during early morning isn't much. Other than that, I have never paid any attention to the moon phase.

30-Nov-23
My Dad shot a nice 8pt last night at 4pm in NY. What moon? Hunt when you can

30-Nov-23
Don't let moon phase stop you from hunting. However, it makes a great excuse.

30-Nov-23
Big Dog, my exact thoughts.

Every guided hunt we go on during a full moon we blame the moon if we don't have success.

14-Dec-23
Big Dog can you explain your reference to "overhead and underfoot" moon times. My experiences have definitely validated the thinking that full moon = less deer in the am and pm hunts.

14-Dec-23
I’ve seen much more mid day movement/feeding during a full moon. With that said, I hunt when I can and this time of the year, usually afternoons because it’s warmer.

14-Dec-23
It’s all about daily moon position, full moon or not! Just because it’s a full moon doesn’t mean the moon is at it highest or lowest at midnight or mid day. Yes hunt when you can but if you have unlimited time or if you have to choose time to take a day off, choose accordingly. Pay attention and you won’t be disappointed. I promise

14-Dec-23
It’s all about daily moon position, full moon or not! Just because it’s a full moon doesn’t mean the moon is at it highest or lowest at midnight or mid day. Yes hunt when you can but if you have unlimited time or if you have to choose time to take a day off, choose accordingly. Pay attention and you won’t be disappointed. I promise

14-Dec-23

Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
Free fishing app is pretty handy….. Not foolproof, but it has the right info…
Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
Free fishing app is pretty handy….. Not foolproof, but it has the right info…
I’ve got to agree…. And it makes sense, since life originated (we generally think!) in tidal zones, and certainly there was tremendous proliferation of species, the descendants of which made it up onto land. Evolution’s memory is LOOOOONG, and with no good reason to change….. Things tend not to.

• Sitka Gear