Nyati 20-Feb-24
Coop 20-Feb-24
JayD 21-Feb-24
Big-Otis-Jeff 18-Mar-24
Jimmyjumpup 19-Mar-24
JayD 26-Mar-24
Jimmyjumpup 27-Mar-24
06-Dec-23
Anyone know what the buck kill totals were ?

06-Dec-23
I would say DNR has not release those to the public yet. it takes them about a week or so ,

07-Dec-23
Ok thanks

07-Dec-23
Ok thanks

14-Dec-23
Anyone got a total yet?

This year the number of truly big bucks I’ve seen killed across this state was astounding. Following a 2022 season that had favorable weather and an increased harvest of 18% over 2021.

A meat processor in shady springs told me he’d taken in 5 bucks by the start of rifle season, that grossed over 180”. He also said this year he’d taken in more big. Yucks then he ever had. From what I’ve seen on Facebook alone, I couldn’t argue with him.

14-Dec-23
Anyone got a total yet?

This year the number of truly big bucks I’ve seen killed across this state was astounding. Following a 2022 season that had favorable weather and an increased harvest of 18% over 2021.

A meat processor in shady springs told me he’d taken in 5 bucks by the start of rifle season, that grossed over 180”. He also said this year he’d taken in more big. Yucks then he ever had. From what I’ve seen on Facebook alone, I couldn’t argue with him.

14-Dec-23
45,155 7.5% lower than last year

14-Dec-23
45,155 7.5% lower than last year

15-Dec-23
Is that just for rifle season alone or does it include the early bow/xbow numbers too?

15-Dec-23
Only rifle season buck numbers

15-Dec-23
I did not see the numbers of deer I did last year. My neighbors did not either. Really weird since there were hardly any deer killed surrounding my property last year. A 1500 acre hunting club above me had 15 hunters kill 3 bucks this year. Unreal.

16-Dec-23
"Paul Johansen, chief of the Wildlife Resources Section, said that bad weather during the first few days of the Nov. 20 through Dec. 3 season along with less available food this year, may have affected hunter success." Next year they will say due to abundance of hard mast deer were scattered the kill is down. Where I live mast this year was the best for the last 20 years SMH.

16-Dec-23
I had a fair amount of red oak acorns.

I think the white oak must have been spotty. I did not see 1 white oak acorn on my place but a neighbor that lives across the road said he saw more than he had for years on the mountain above his house.

It seems like areas either had a lot or didn’t have any from comments on FB .

I do think the rain on 2nd day suppressed kill some because it was statewide and 2nd day is usually a pretty big day. How much of an effect exactly, I don’t know.

I don’t have a problem with the harvest. Yes, it was lower than last year but last year was a lot higher than the year before that. I think the range going ahead is going to be in the low to mid 40 thousand range. We do need to increase antlerless kill in a lot of places. In a few places it probably needs to stay the same.

16-Dec-23
We had an abundance of acorns in my area. It seemed it kept the deer spread out and the didn’t have to move too much.

16-Dec-23
Not buying that. I was in the woods all fall. Not as many deer for whatever reason.

16-Dec-23
you couldn't walk on my property without stepping on acorns. That probably had a lot to do with it. We do have less deer statewide but that is what they want. Kill off the does. I had a good year but simply did not see as many deer. I am buying the acorn theory because me and my neighbors did not kill the deer off last year or this year. I think we just need to get use to seeing less deer. And that is ok.

16-Dec-23
you couldn't walk on my property without stepping on acorns. That probably had a lot to do with it. We do have less deer statewide but that is what they want. Kill off the does. I had a good year but simply did not see as many deer. I am buying the acorn theory because me and my neighbors did not kill the deer off last year or this year. I think we just need to get use to seeing less deer. And that is ok.

19-Dec-23
Yeah I have hunted the same properties for 20 yrs and the deer herd id definitely down.

19-Dec-23
Could be CWD or the coyotes. Yea that is it.

17-Feb-24
I don't follow this page much. As never basically. Here's my humble opinion. This emcompasses the two buck limit doe kill etc. IMHO since the start of electronic check in the numbers are screwed. As for deer killed and quality of bucks taken. There are two folks that electronic check in deer. Those to lazy to process their own deer and those that want a deer mounted or euro mounted where a check in tag is required. Face it most hunters PAY to have their deer processed. If your paying $90 for 35 pounds of crap you can't eat your not going to kill 9 does a year that the DNR hopes you would. I could go on and on how F'd up the regulations are but I'll stop here.

17-Feb-24
I raised a family on deer meat. Literally. When cut up and processed correctly it's awesome.

18-Feb-24
Totally agree. Lots of guys over here check their deer into the freezer. Simple fact.

18-Feb-24
You just can’t tell how many deer are being killed. There is no way possible. With the deer that are hit by cars, poached and not checked in there is no way. It’s a guess.

18-Feb-24
I specifically didn't mention the responsible law abiding hunters. That's because I firmly believe they are in the severe minority. So low as not to be even to be relative. Less than 3%. I grew up and was taught 90% of folks were good and 10% was bad. Sadly I think it's reversed and think it's less than 10% are good folks now days. When the DNR brags about all the older deer being harvested now (checked in) it's because of my above two reasons. Sad but true. Just my humble opinion of what I see in the real world. Curious of what you folks are seeing in the real world. But I stand by my statements.

18-Feb-24
I’ve talked to several of the higher ranks of NRPO . Most have answered my question that they feel based on decades of experience that about 80% check in deer and other game legally.

Not saying that’s right or if it’s wrong just what I’ve been told when I asked the question as to what percent is legally checked in .

I think the 3 % is really really low. Here’s why. In 2022 WV had a little over 118,000 deer checked in , bucks and does, all weapons. If those 118,000 were only 3% then total kill (100%) would have been 3,933,333. Almost 4 million deer . And that would only be the deer that was killed , and we only kill about 20% of total herd each year. Current total deer population as told to me by DNR last year is estimated at around 600,000. If the 118,000 was only 3% of actual kill and we only kill 20% of population , then total population would have to be 20,000,000 . ( 4 million is 20% of 20 million) . The highest the WV herd got back in late 90s, early 2000s was estimated at 1-1.2 million. It’s impossible to kill 3,933,333 deer out of a population of 600,000

18-Feb-24
Well if the higher ranks say this then we are golden. If they said otherwise the anti's would have a case their numbers are biased and wrong in all of their predictions of actual numbers of game and thus season openings and closing. Years ago I use to go to all of the DNR meetings. It was like going to watch the Charlie Brown christmas story. Bla Bla Bla Bla BLa Bla Bla same old replies they had been taught to repeat. I just know what I see in the real world. I still stand by my earlier statement.

18-Feb-24
Not trying to be argumentative but how can u stand by the 3% when the mathematics clearly show that it’s impossible?

18-Feb-24

19-Feb-24
I go by the real world too. While I do what is right I hear people all over talking about how they do things. You hear lots of stuff at bow shoots etc. I do not believe 80 percent check in their deer.

19-Feb-24
Not trying to be argumentative but how can u stand by the 3% when the mathematics clearly show that it’s impossible? I just would like to know where the DNR came in with the numbers of 80% turn in and check it their kills.

19-Feb-24
I'll stand by my statement. 3% of hunters will will follow the law and check in deer as required regardless. 97 % will only check in deer because of two reasons. They need a tag for it to be processed butchered or taxidermy. PERIOD

19-Feb-24
Think about this. If in WV as per the DNR stats the vast majority of bucks killed was 2.5 years or older. Don't you think we as in WV would become a mega for out of state hunters? Why would most of the WV hunters be going to Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois,Kansas,etc? IF there is so many 2.5 year old bucks then there has to be so many 3.5 or 4.5 bucks. I call BS and every common sense hunter would agree.

20-Feb-24
I think i side with the commissioner on this one and believe more hunters than not check their harvest in. i am sure there are some but in no way is it the majority that don’t check a buck in.

Heck i will even go on to say because of the having to harvest a doe before a second buck in some counties tend to lead to some hunters checking in a ghost doe.

20-Feb-24
To be clear for everyone I grew up being taught 90% of folks were good and 10% were bad. In my lifetime I believe it's reversed. Within the last several years I'm sure that just 3% are good and 97% are bad. I'd love to know how the WV DNR came up with 80% of hunters check in their game especially after tele check.

20-Feb-24
JD you are right and confirm my theory. Two folks check in their game. Those that need a tag for deer meat processing and those that need taxidermy or a european mount that both are not willing to do themselves. But I never thought about it but as you stated there is another reason to check in illegally.

20-Feb-24
JD maybe there is a third party that checks in game. Ghost check in. Never considered that.

20-Feb-24
I'll throw out another interesting fact. Ohio has a one buck limit. Pennsylvania has antler restrictions. Both states gun season comes in on our SECOND week of gun season. We border those states It flat out amazes me hunters from both those states are hunting WV second week of gun season and checking in deer in WV with our low nonresident hunting license. Things that make you wonder. From years ago from going to WV DNR meetings they base their projected doe kill on buck kill. One buck killed should need 7 does killed. So with the number skewed from out of state hunters checking in gun buck kills in WV in the second week of our season ( or during our long bow season) how does that affect what our DNR wants of doe killed?

20-Feb-24
Just to be clear, I never said 80% was a stated fact or position, It was just the general opinion of 3-4 officers I asked . There is no firm data on it that I know of. If they had firm data they would be out giving citations to those that didn’t check. But I would think officers that have done the work for 20-30 years would have a reasonable general opinion based on their experience

20-Feb-24
Ok good to know.

21-Feb-24
Well i just think that if all of these illegal hunting - no not hunting but poaching acts are being done - then we as hunters need to step up and start reporting those that are acting illegally.

Again I am not saying we don’t have any people out there not checking their deer in but i still want to think that the majority of the hunting community are good people.

18-Mar-24
Poachers are going to poach no matter what. I believe the majority go by the book. That being said, it amazes me that people say they know x amount of people who don’t, but won’t turn them in.

It has to start with that. If you see something or hear something, report it.

Also with talking with multiple DNR LE in the district 5, the electronic check in actually catches more poachers. With everyone posting their kills on social media, they can start their n investigation real time. I had a hunter meet me at the 1st Commissioner meeting last year with a report of a poached deer. Reported it to the officers who attending and with 10 mins they knew the guy had not bought a license or checked a deer in. Less than 8 hrs later he was a had lad.

Again, it starts with the majority not looking the other way.

19-Mar-24
Good point Big Otis. Lots are caught when they show pics of illegal deer and their buddy or GF or wife turn them in. Boy they dumb

26-Mar-24

JayD's Link
I just saw this was online to where you can download the big game bulletin now.

27-Mar-24
Thanks. very interesting.

• Sitka Gear