Corax_latrans 15-Dec-23
Brian M. 15-Dec-23
nehunter 15-Dec-23
2Wild Bill 16-Dec-23
Brian M. 16-Dec-23
2Wild Bill 17-Dec-23
Rackem 17-Dec-23
14-Dec-23
I'm weak I tell ya. I went to my productive stand in the cedars this afternoon. Got in a few minutes after 2:00. Nothing happening until 4:07. All of a sudden I hear running and before I can even stand up, there are 3 does stopped behind my tree, and the lead doe is staring at me. They had to cross my path, and I'm only about 75 yards into the woods. I couldn't move and they were nervous. Finally they high stepped past my tree, and I could hear another one coming from up hill. A young buck I think, but he has a bit of a Roman nose. He stopped maybe 20 yards out, facing me but oblivious to the danger above. The does were now 20 yards to my right, still nervous. I'm slowly looking at them, then at the buck to my left. Expecting all hell to break loose, the buck starts walking towards the does, which will bring him right into my lap...

My wife told me a couple weeks ago that we were almost out of burger, so the plan was to grind most of my last doe. But instead I took 30 lbs of it to the butcher and had kielbasa and hot dogs made. So, with two tags left, anything to step in front of me was going to be my burger. Keeping in mind I wanted to save one tag for the big guy on my other property.

So, in just a few steps the little 6 point was at 7 yards, I was still sitting down. I slightly canted my already at full draw recurve to avoid hitting my left leg, and as he suddenly looked up at me, my arrow was away and stuck in the ground behind him. He did a mule kick and ran down the trail. At 60 yards, he stopped, looked around and within a few seconds tipped over. It was 4:10.

I just couldn't resist. If I had waited, unknown to me at the time, there were two more bucks following the does. One was an 8pt, the other had a thick main beam but I couldn't see more than that through the cedars. I think this is the 6th sit in this stand, and 3rd kill. So, wife gets burger, freezer is full and I still have my last tag for the big guy. Otherwise, my season is over.

14-Dec-23

Brian M. 's embedded Photo
Brian M. 's embedded Photo
Well, that sucks, my camera was set on Macro for some reason, so this is the best of the two pics I got.

14-Dec-23
Looks like the Burgomeister-meisterburger to me!

So JMO, hope the last two make it to February and savor the spoils….

Nice shot.

14-Dec-23
Congrats. You are having a heck of a season!

14-Dec-23
Outstanding!! Great hunt and super focus to close the deal. Happy wife happy life!

14-Dec-23
Burger you wanted, burger you got! Way to be a hunter Brian! Congrats.

15-Dec-23
A deer with traditional bow is quite an accomplishment, especially this late in the year. Congrats

15-Dec-23
thats a lot of burger! congratulations!

15-Dec-23
nice young deer .

15-Dec-23
You're rocking it this year bud,congrats

15-Dec-23
Great description. I felt like I was there.

15-Dec-23
Way to go - Brian.

15-Dec-23
Sweet

15-Dec-23
Congrats. terrible pic lol

15-Dec-23
Thanks all. Yes, terrible pic, I haven't taken a good pic yet. If I had my readers with me, I would have noticed it was a blurry pic and not just my vision. Only 3/4 will go to burger, steak the rest.

15-Dec-23
Don’t you DARE grind the hams, backstraps or tenderloins…. That would be sacrilege!

15-Dec-23
Just one ham. Never the tenderloins or backstraps. We use a lot of burger.

15-Dec-23
Don't grind them antlers!! The Chinese like em though.

Congratulations!

16-Dec-23
Congratulations. "If" doesn't count, you shoot the deer you see and not fret over what might have been in front of you. You wanted burger, you got burger, +, experience and excitement. The camera setting is something you will now remember to check. But for the focus it was nicely framed. Do you wear readers? Slowdown in darkness because it always adds another measure of difficulty in whatever you do.

16-Dec-23
True that 2WB, "IF" the does hadn't spotted me, one of them might be my burger. I didn't think I'd need the readers, wasn't planning on reading anything.

Tomorrow morning is calling for an easterly wind, I'll be looking for the big guy on the other property.

17-Dec-23
Brian. "still nervous", any shot at them would have taught you all about string jumping. I had three doe under me, literally straight down. They had cut my trail in and were looking for me, but not up. The were frozen in place with ears swiveling. when suddenly a leaf dropped from above me, by me and in front of them. Simultaneously they all flinched as though to run but didn't. I figured that with the leaf a fresh scent bomb of me hit them and screamed at them that I was closer than they could see. They eventually turned, walked away and there was never a bow shot that could take them as they were, "still nervous". I can see the encounter like it was moments ago, a vivid experience.

17-Dec-23
A job well done and meat in the freezer.

• Sitka Gear