>>>--arrow1--> 09-Jan-24
>>>--arrow1--> 09-Jan-24
Screwball 09-Jan-24
Drop Tine 09-Jan-24
Kingntuff 09-Jan-24
WI Shedhead 10-Jan-24
WI Shedhead 10-Jan-24
05-Jan-24
I know many of us are getting long in the tooth and probably not a consideration. But with the costs of hunts now days. Would you borrow money to go on one or more bucket list hunts?

05-Jan-24
Hell yes, otherwise you might never cross it off the list

05-Jan-24
I wouldn't but only because I'm too conservative with my money. But I should do that as interest rates are a lot lower than inflation rates on hunts.

05-Jan-24
No.

05-Jan-24
If you cant afford it, then you shouldn't be going. So no I wouldn't.

05-Jan-24
Yes, I would consider it if it was "that" hunt. Probably not the whole amount, but what I would need to get it done. Years ago I always dreamed of elk hunting with a bow. But cost was an issue. I then decided screw it and saved money to go. Glad I did, 7 times I went and those memories will be with me my life. These were DIY hunts so the cost was not bad. I would not go extravagant, but I sure as hell would not go if you want to do it. But, I would love to do a moose hunt. Had one booked that fell through because of money and BVH.

05-Jan-24
I've never borrowed beyond my home and my vehicles. I try to live within my means. I know you recently retired, but I haven't yet. I always worked overtime to compensate for those things I may want versus the things our family needs, that our incomes already provide. So if I ever thought about spending frivolously, on things that were not going towards the household, I always worked extra and gave at least half to savings. That same mindset is my wife's. If you want it, you can absolutely buy it, but you feel much less guilt if you earned it. My little side gig of poker gives me great freedom to purchase anything I want. I am rather simple when it comes to targeting what I want to hunt, so those hunts outside of what Wisconsin provides are unnecessary for me. I sure wanted to and dreamed bigger when i was younger though. I believe most of us as we age, realize the trophy isn't necessarily what we put on the wall, or show off to friends and family. It's just staying topside and being out there enjoying the simple gifts that we have sitting out there in the woods, and after we pass, those "trophies" we have are never going to be as appreciated by those we leave behind. So for me, the work that goes into it is the trophy.

And Will, take out that loan. You only live once, and can't take it with you!

05-Jan-24
Interesting topic. People borrow money for many things. Cars, boats, vacation homes, vacations, bows and guns. While I have not thought about it before this, I’d say yes, if it was something I really wanted, I would borrow to do it.

05-Jan-24
I've made a few out of state hunts over my bowhunting career. Yep, they were fun and successful. All of them were paid for at the time, I never borrowed to make one of them. So no, I guess my past life says I would not do it. BUT...had I to do it all over again I certainly would. In a heartbeat! Why pass on them if you can somehow find a way to do it? Right now there are a great many hunts that classify as missed opportunities for me. I think about all those adventures I missed by choosing not to go. Damm, I should have! If someone ever invents a "do-over" button on life I'll be the first in line for those exotic hunts in far off lands! So yeah, count me as a "yes."

05-Jan-24

05-Jan-24
I'd never borrow money to hunt. By the same token, I'd never pay for a guide or outfitter either. Wouldn't pay a dime to lease land either. To each there own, but whitetails hold enough fascination for me to keep me content. At today's prices, I'm thankful I'm wired for whitetails...You look at the cost of "dream hunts", it's crazy what they cost. And if your successful, then there's the taxidermy bills...lol. Definitely a money game. Whatever blows your hair back...

05-Jan-24
I have always said, “it’s a good thing I’m not a woman because I’m so easy”! I have a really hard time saying “No”. When it comes to going on hunts or fishing trips I’ve taken out of state, I can honestly say; I don’t regret any of them.

I have friends that I no longer ask to join me. The “ maybe next year” doesn’t work for me. If there is a hunt or fishing trip I want to do….i do it. There may not be a next year. I have been blessed to be able to do what I wanted. Life is good. My attitude is to do it while you can. When I physically can’t do it anymore……I will say “no”.

05-Jan-24
Nope

05-Jan-24
Never, as I have never borrowed for a vacation and never will.

05-Jan-24
Grape, right on!

05-Jan-24
I know guys who have sold stocks, to go on dream hunts. Too many baby their kids, hey let them make their own money. I will leave them property, but I am spending what I busted my ass for

05-Jan-24
Many of you never sheep hunted. At 28 I borrowed for that. Worked my ass off to pay it back, never regretted it. We all had our own journeys. I bought land, and never bought a vehicle over 20,000.00 dollars. Just bought a new Tundra at 17,800.00

05-Jan-24
Sure would, depending on the hunt and the situation. 2-3 percent interest rates are basically free money. If I have the plan to pay for it, and it is really what I want sure, why not. With that said my moose hunt next fall I have been saving for 25 years. Money to spare. I want add remember you only live once and cannot take money with you. Now as I always taught if we are talking food money, heat, etc. Never.

06-Jan-24
No, I don’t borrow money.

06-Jan-24
No

06-Jan-24
No, but I even hated having home loans. For 40 years I've always done DIY public land hunts. The idea of someone else doing the scouting and planning for me was never appealing to me. I know I've missed some great experiences by not doing some guided hunts, just independent I guess.

07-Jan-24
Read "Passion of a solo bowhunter". Mike is pretty amazing in how he gets it done. Not all the time but most times.

07-Jan-24
No. I've never borrowed money to go on a hunt. I mainly did DIY when out of state.

07-Jan-24
Never would do a guided hunt, Al DYI hunts for me. It just adds the whole experience to the hunt.

07-Jan-24
I have to disagree on guided hunts. My sheep guide was 19 at the time. I was 26, He was well seasoned My next guided hunts were in Ontario in the late 80s.

I was in my mid 30s. My guide was in his 40s, and taught me more than I can ever repay him in learning about tracking deer.

First year I chose not to pull the trigger. Second year I did, big 140,... pure wilderness tracking, but what I learned was priceless... So don't be so quick to put down guides, that could teach you something

07-Jan-24
I just looked up an Alaskan guide page. Moose- $30,000.00. Dall Sheep $35,000.00. Brown bear listed at $25,000.00-$40,000.00. 10 day hunts. Doesn't include licenses, transportation, etc... Groundhunter, what was the cost of a sheep hunt back then?

07-Jan-24
And some people complain of a Wisconsin black bear hunt for $1500 - $2000 But let’s raise the guides license to $5000 lmao

07-Jan-24
Some hunts cannot be done without using a guide.

07-Jan-24
When I guided and when talking to hunters interested in booking a hunt with me I always encouraged them, if they can do a DIY hunt then do it.

07-Jan-24
No

07-Jan-24
I know when I hunted the Bridger Wilderness area in WY. You either had to know and hunt with a resident or hunt with an outfitter/guide.

08-Jan-24
As usual a thread here has stimulated discussion. Lots of “No’s” some “yes’s”. All of us have our thoughts. The part I find interesting is it doesn’t take long and we are taking sides. My thought is if you don’t want to go….dont! If you want to go, and you are capable physically, financially, and taking care of your family at the same time…..Go! I don’t belief in “maybe I will next year”. Unless next year is the plan. I’m all for the guy who absolutely loves to fish and hunt in Wisconsin only. That is great !! At the same time, I’m not going to judge anyone who loves the outdoors for going on hunts or fishing trips elsewhere. That to me is wrong.

08-Jan-24
Yes, there are some areas you have to be guided/outfitted. We had the moose hunt booked in Ontario. It was a fly-in archery only area and we needed 1 guide/outfitter per camp since we were non-res. Now, would I be excited about a high dollar guided hunt? If I won it, LOL. I would rather hunt a DYI draw elk archery unit.

08-Jan-24
Greg, I agree. I looked at Will's question more like: Would you or wouldn't you? I answered would I, and why, and others just answered yes or no which (I believe) was the point of the question. I encourage anyone to do what they want to do. I agree. Too many ideas turn into a debate, and I'm most certainly of the mindset that with so many choices in life, you're absolutely going to have differing viewpoints as to why you chose what chose. It applies to a lot of what our particular forum likes to disagree upon, and there's a crowd who cannot stand when you don't see it their way. I don't think this topic went there, but there are hot topics where both sides of the debate continue to voice their opinion and the opposition (including themselves) is not going to budge an inch.

08-Jan-24
If you look at the original question, how does one answer the question and not "take sides "? He asked everyone as an individual whether THEY would or wouldn't borrow money for a hunt? He didn't state what his personal opinion was nor did he say you should only respond if you agree with his personal opinion. I take it he asked wanting to hear differing view points? I answered absolutely not. I don't know why anyone would be the least bit triggered by that response because I wasn't the least bit triggered by the guys who said absolutely yes! I don't see a single post where anyone said that the original poster should feel one way or the other. All of the posts are individual viewpoints which is what was asked for. In the old days it was called a "discussion"...

08-Jan-24
I guess I really did not see anything more than each of us answering the question. I do believe that our hunting is personal and often times different than others. The same goes for our family and financial positions and circumstances. No shame in doing it or not doing it.

08-Jan-24
Retro, 6000.00....I was going to buy my first new truck. Chevy 2wd pick up. I spent it on the hunt, and rode with another guy. I took a bus at the end home. Borrowed a car from my sister, for a year, ha ha. Remember, I am single, only me to worry about. Had alot of fun.

08-Jan-24
Ground, If your single with no kids, that's a whole different story than if your married with a family. Just for the heck of it I looked up Africa's Big Five to see what prices are to hunt? Needless to say, I think I'll just stick to reading Peter Capstick books...:>)

09-Jan-24
I find this thread very interesting and deeper then just would you borrow money or not. Everyone has different goals and desires in our life travel. I have been fortunate enough to bow hunt around the world. I'm I rich? NO. Will I go on all the hunts I want to? NO. Why ? I can't justify a 30,000$ Moose hunt in the Yukon. Love to do it and would love to sit down and hear the stories of those that have. Instead I go to Alberta moose hunting every couple of years. I've Also been fortunate to marry a girl that LOVES to travel around the world to HIKE... I don't see it,,, but hell happy wife happy life. We try to plan both hiking and hunting trips together ( New Zealand this past March ). She going to Greece this spring without me. Again we are not rich and don't borrow the money. We are both retired but have 7 part time jobs to our traveling. I see to many people retire and not have any goals or a plan to enjoy life. Our trips give us motivation to work out and still work some to stay sharp. I've never been a person that borrowed money for a want,,, but did for a need. Someday I will regret not spending the money on some hunts but by then it will be to late.

09-Jan-24

>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
New Zealand 2023
>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
New Zealand 2023

09-Jan-24
For myself I answered yes and it does depend on the circumstances for everyone. I would not be doing a 30 year mortgage type loan so I think that is a part of this, a short term low interest loan was my thinking. Now do I think I would need to borrow no. But if me and my wife's dream hunt came up, at an incredible deal, and cash flow would require it sure, a short term low interest loan until cash flow let me pay it off why not. Cannot take it with me, and our kids are and will be financially fine.

09-Jan-24
Yes, I didn’t intend for people to take sides and I don’t see that there is a right to wrong answer. It all comes down to wants and desires I believe. I have a couple hunts that will never transpire. When I was younger I didn’t want to take money from the family. For Christmases we didn’t give a lot of gifts and gave more in trips and experiences. Pictures and memories that will last them their lifetimes. I did take a couple trips to WY for elk and mule deer before draws and prices went crazy and a couple muzzleloader hunts to Missouri. Now that I’m older in life I could do so but I don’t want to take on extra expenses with my wife and I nearing retirement.

09-Jan-24
Hard NO. Unless its all you got to live for, then by all means.

10-Jan-24
I wouldn’t borrow the cash. I’ve always had enough discipline to make things work for priorities in my life. In the next couple years the kids will be set and out of school and I’ll be retiring in just over 7 years at 60 with a boat load of preference points in 9 different states and lots of trips planned beyond that. My kids know to not plan on anything being left when we’re gone- hoping they kick my last nickle on top of me when I’m buried.

Life is way to short!!!!!!

10-Jan-24
I wouldn’t borrow the cash. I’ve always had enough discipline to make things work for priorities in my life. In the next couple years the kids will be set and out of school and I’ll be retiring in just over 7 years at 60 with a boat load of preference points in 9 different states and lots of trips planned beyond that. My kids know to not plan on anything being left when we’re gone- hoping they kick my last nickle on top of me when I’m buried.

Life is way to short!!!!!!

• Sitka Gear