Fredbear 27-Jan-24
il.BowHunter 27-Jan-24
il.BowHunter 27-Jan-24
ILbowhntr 27-Jan-24
il.BowHunter 27-Jan-24
Edge Hunter 11-Feb-24
il.BowHunter 11-Feb-24
24-Jan-24
What percent of deer hunters let smaller buck walk.

25-Jan-24
Purely a guess but I’d say the % of guys that let 3 or 4 year olds walk, even if they have a 150” rack at that age is probably 5% or less.

26-Jan-24
Fredbear, Thank you for your input.

26-Jan-24
You bet. What would your guess be?

26-Jan-24
Your good at guessing. I would say 5% or less as well. Over the many years I talked with alot of deer hunters that had success in the field, so that's how I came up with my guess.

27-Jan-24
Define a “smaller buck”. For me and my area, it’s 125” or less. If he’s in the 140-160 range, I’m taking him.

27-Jan-24
I would say 140, or less. But again 140 is still a very nice looking rack. Junk racks are another issue.

27-Jan-24
Definition is important so good point. For us and on my farm we try really hard to shoot 5 year old deer or older. So “little” for us really means young. I’ve passed 150-160” bucks bc we either knew for sure based on history or were certain enough based on body traits that he wasn’t 5 years old. On the flip side, I/we have shot multiple bucks that only had a 120”-140” that were fully mature and we want to remove them from our farm if at all possible. Not because we think we can necessarily influence the genetics on our farm but mainly bc we feel like our farm (or any farm for that matter) can only hold so many mature bucks and we want them to be the ones with the bigger racks obviously.

27-Jan-24
Fredbear. Good post, maybe one of the best we will read on this site.

27-Jan-24
Fredbear. Good post, maybe one of the best we will read on this site.

27-Jan-24
Problem with passing a 150” deer, he wanders to the next farm that doesn’t have your high standards.

27-Jan-24
I know what your saying. It would not bother me at all.

11-Feb-24
In my woods/area, if you let 145/150 bucks walk, you won't be shooting any bucks. I've had a few like that get by me never to see them again.

11-Feb-24
Edge Hunter, That's very true. This year I may think twice, before

• Sitka Gear