Pi 07-Feb-24
Huntskifishcook 08-Feb-24
Big Dog 08-Feb-24
06-Feb-24

Ungie01201's embedded Photo
I meant to post this sooner, but the buck I shot on 12/27 had a perfect slug hole in his year... not sure if from a black powder sabot or what... I noticed something when I walked up to him, but upon closer inspection, it was relatively fresh wound that was scabbed over on the edges. When I rubbed it the scabs would start to shed off and it was still pink below... has anyone ever shot one like this? Or any other "odd" wounds? I did chat with a guy who said he shot at one the first day of muzzleloader running straight away from him that snuck up on him. Shot at the back of his neck / spine at 20 yards. This was very close to where this one was shot... maybe the same one?

06-Feb-24
I shot one that had a wound on the upper back . Looked like a high hit that was trying to heal.

06-Feb-24
Very cool. He should have learned his lesson haha. I shot one that had an old mechanical broadhead healed over in its leg. That was pretty wild.

06-Feb-24
The buck I shot in 2022 had a hole in his ear.looks like a tine poked through it

06-Feb-24
I killed a doe with a .22 bullet flattened out against one of the upright vertebrae bones. It was missing about 8 inches of backstrap near the hit. Healed completely

06-Feb-24
My friend shot a really nice 10 point about 35 years ago. One antler was perfect the other was all disfigured. Upon butchering it, the opposite side femur as the antler was broken in two spots and fused back together in a Z shape - we guessed from a car hit. He said the deer was walking fine when he shot it.

06-Feb-24
An antler hole maybe?

06-Feb-24
Could be a piercing, you never know.

06-Feb-24
Antler hole seems likely, but after gun season that seems logical too.

06-Feb-24
Butcher I used to go to had a window sill full of broadheads, slugs, bullets, 22 bullets, etc…. That he found while butchering deer, was an interesting collection….

07-Feb-24
Could be a new gender thing. I'm no expert on the extra hole thing .

Will there be gender neutral tags this year.

Hold the monkeys... could that have been a tagged deer ? Like they do with cows.

07-Feb-24
I thought it possibly was an antler hole, but after looking at it more carefully it was so perfectly round the we think bullet. The guy who shot said he was 99% sure it was the same buck... lucky deer! I shot an 8 about 20 years ago w/ muzzleloader that had a broadhead and about 4" of arrow embedded in his backstrap right below the spine from that season. I shot a nice 9 several years ago with a funky rack. Nice 5 on left and a goofy split brow and crotch on the other side. I did a euro on him and the right side of his skull was deformed below the pedical... almost as if he had broken his skull with some sort of injury... possibly hit by car or by fighting.

07-Feb-24
Wow interesting lives these deer have. Interesting to think that probably 99.999% of a deer’s life experiences aren’t witnessed by any human.

07-Feb-24
I'm thinking someone "sprayed and prayed" or had an epic case of the shakes or thought it was a good idea to head shoot one and "missed". I think an antler would rip the ear, vs create a perfect poke hole like that.

That's wild Ungie.

07-Feb-24
Spontaneous combustion... Maybe an alien weapon.

Swiss cheese disease?

08-Feb-24
The buck I shot this past season also had a hole in its ear that was oozing a huge amount of snot like puss. Pretty gross. I think it was from a fight. He also had a deformed left antler. After turning it into a euro I noticed he had a skull fracture from a previous year near that pelicle that was likely the cause of the deformation. I think he was a brawler and enjoyed cracking skulls with other big bucks.

08-Feb-24
Staph Aureus is a major cause of infection in deer. It's cultured in their hair and transmissible to humans.

• Sitka Gear