Ben 20-Jul-18
Ben 20-Jul-18
hunt'n addict 20-Jul-18
Mike-TN 21-Jul-18
BULELK1 22-Jul-18
pav 22-Jul-18
Mule Power 22-Jul-18
20-Jul-18
I have been on a lot of hunting trips in many western states and almost all have been with backpacking equipment / tent. Some of those could have been a lot more comfortable but that is what I had. At 53 being able to stand up and put on my clothes is a lot more appealing than it was at 33 so I have been researching. I have a UTV and ATV and would be looking to take those on some of the hunts I will be doing until I no longer can. Usually I hunt alone or with 1 other person. I have been considering some different options..... Toy haulers - very nice but expensive, most seem to be bigger than what I would need. Enclosed trailers that have been wired for electricity. I like the 7 x 16 size. Some are very nicely done and you would seem to only be giving up the sink / shower / toilet that you would get with a toy hauler. Depending on how much you are willing to do yourself these could be finished out pretty cheaply....not my thing and I would need a good bit of help with that. The 3rd option and probably the one I am leaning toward is just getting a nice aluminum trailer and putting my money in good camping equipment.... good quality tents (multiple tents to fit different situations), good stove for the tent, good quality cooking equipment, stoves, coolers etc. Based on what I have been looking at this 3rd option would be the cheapest and probably fit my style a little better but wanted to get you guys opinions as I am sure I am not the first to make this decision. Mike TN

20-Jul-18
If you are looking at multiple quality tents, I'm wondering whether the enclosed pull behind trailer wouldn't be the cheaper option? Of course if that's not your thing, then it wouldn't be worth the savings. Tents are certainly more nostalgic in regards to classic hunting, and they can be made to be pretty comfy really. The lightweight tipi-style tents with stoves seem pretty nice as a combination of portability and long-term comfort.

20-Jul-18
We have a Davis wall tent with a cylinder stove that I set up each year for my pop and friends. Not portable if that is your usual style of hunting.

But, it is a great place to sit and tell stories at the end of each day (which seem more and more important to me with each passing year).

20-Jul-18
I’d buy a browning glacier extreme tent. 10 by 10 free standing, bomb type shelter that won’t break the bank. But, Is of good quality. I love mine. Much more then my Cabelas alaknak or my brothers 8 man outfitters tent from Cabelas. Light and easy to setup with one man too.

I’d run a regular atv trailer for my gear.

20-Jul-18

midwest's embedded Photo
Kodiak 10x10 with vestibule
midwest's embedded Photo
Kodiak 10x10 with vestibule
midwest's embedded Photo
Alaknak with vestibule
midwest's embedded Photo
Alaknak with vestibule
I have a 10x10 Kodiak canvas tent with a vestibule for when I go solo. I can set it up and tear down pretty quickly if I need to move and it seems I always end up moving at least once during a trip. I use a Buddy Heater for heat and it works perfect.

I also have a Cabelas Alaknak with a vestibule which is plenty of room for two guys. I have a wood stove for that one but since getting the larger Buddy Heater, I won't bother with the wood stove anymore in September. Slower to set up and take down than my Kodiak but goes fast with 2 guys.

I keep my camp comfortable but simple enough that I can easily move when needed. Cot, table, chair, propane pig to run a 2 burner lp stove, portable lp grill, and Buddy Heater. Precooked meals in vacuum bags to heat in boiling water plus steaks, hot dogs, etc. for the grill = no dirty dishes to clean.

20-Jul-18
Listen to Nick

20-Jul-18
Based on Nick's advice a few years ago I went with the Kodiak Canvas. Mine is a 10 x 14. Great tent and easy for one guy to put up. It allows you to stand up inside as well and the buddy heater does a nice job getting the chill out of the air.

20-Jul-18
I like having a microwave, tv, air conditioning, and a queen bed to sleep on.

20-Jul-18
Consider getting the enclosed trailer and tent. Wall tent can have more living room than a trailer, you can store the ATV outside and use the trailer if you need portability. Trailer keeps things dry and secure. This combo gives you options.

20-Jul-18
A lot depends upon your style of hunting and the weather conditions where you'll be camping. My preference is a topper on my pickup. It allows me to remain super mobile, totally waterproof, and quite a bit of room for gear. I sleep like a baby and never have to worry about bears, bugs, or creepy-crawlers. I hunt Wyo quite a bit where the wind howls. I wouldn't recommend any type of tent if you are hunting Wyo and other areas where the wind blows on a regular basis! If I want to hunt 30 miles on the other side of a unit I have a mobile camp that instantly is ready to go or is where I end up at the end of a long day. I would much rather spend my time scouting and hunting rather than dilly-dallying setting up and worrying about a camp. That type of setup isn't for everyone but sure works fantastic for me!

20-Jul-18

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
This one was over 15 yrs old. Had to replace last year.

20-Jul-18
What I've settled on and presently own: 1). 8' x 10' Siltarp I can set up with Hiking poles...1# with 7 carbon arrow 7" stakes and ultra-thin guy ropes...not counting hiking my hiking poles. Great emergency shelter too. 2). 2-man backpack tent with double vestibule (floor and liner style)...3-1/2#s 3. Cabelas 8 man Alaskan Guide tent with Aluminum pole set and the old large, Conestoga wagon style vestibule....about 60#s all in 4. Truck canopies for both trucks 5. A Cabelas truck tent that is a 10'x10' tent that can be used stand-alone or you can back the truck with canopy under one side and cinch it up around the truck box and topper. Forget the weight but around 25#s....and no longer available. 6. A 6' x 12' x 6-6" height single axle cargo trailer with an RV man-way door with screen, insulation, stabilizing jacks, two screened windows, axle that is gives it as much clearance as my 1-ton Ford PU, etc. Haul the SxS or ATV in it, then sleep, cook or whatever inside. Cuts your gas mileage quite a bit to pull it due to the height. 7. A cab-over pickup camper with a queen bed, stove, oven, shower, 40 gallons of onboard water, furnace, etc. Great luxury and nice to travel in...cook your own meals, sleep in your own bed, and set up in a few minutes....or take it off the truck in 30-minutes.

I throw the list out as I use them all over the year, depending on what and where I am hunting. All are useful and serve their purpose when hunting from Northern Canada down to the Mexican border. Good luck with your decision!

20-Jul-18
I haul a 35 year old beat up double axle trailer for me and to cook. Everyone else stays in tents. Works great and by using large thermoses I have coffee on before they get to the trailer in the am.

For short hunts I just take a tent or sleep on the ground without.

20-Jul-18
For shorter hunts I have a 10' x 10' Cabelas EWT, it is very wind and weather proof. For longer trip I have an older 1987 18' 5th wheel that is in very good shape after some TLC and it has a full head, furnace, hot water heater and a good comfortable bed. I flipped the axles for good ground clearance and it will go about any where the truck will. It is my 1st choice anytime I can hunt from a truck camp.

20-Jul-18
I beefed up the frame and added a receiver hitch so pulling a small trailer (5' x 10') for my utv (Kawasaki mule) is a piece of cake. The refrigerator/freezer makes taking food for a couple weeks easy. On rainy days it is very comfortable for 2 people and walking around and standing up dressing is no problem.

20-Jul-18

20-Jul-18
I have been think about the Jumping Jack trailers. Any one else use one?

21-Jul-18
I’ve looked at Jumpimg Jack but it seems really pricey for what you get. I keep asking myself why not just get a nice aluminum trailer and nice tents. And save a few thousand dollars.

22-Jul-18

BULELK1's Link
I wanted to still have my enclosed trlr with out having to remove everything when I needed it for something other than just hunting, so I went to this set-up, see my link.

I sure get a lot of attention with it, from all age groups.

I still have and use my ToyHauler, but it's been years since I took the 'Toy' part with me.

All the gear in my Combo RFTPTent camp comes right out of my TH and then back into it when I am done using it for the year.

Pretty much saves me $$ from having to have Doubles for each trlr and it MT's out the RFTPTent trlr for other use.

Like pretty much everything in life, it has goods--n--bads no matter how much a guy thinks it thru.

Enjoy whatever ya decide Mike!

Good luck, Robb

22-Jul-18

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
I have two camp options for hunting the west. Use a Cabelas Bighorn w/vestibule for base camp and a Henry Shires tarptent for backpacking. I'm 56, and the older I get, the more I have considered trading in the base camp for a popup toy hauler. More modern conveniences with the toy hauler of course....but also provides the ability to move camp much more efficiently. Breaking camp and setting back up with a large base tent is no small task. If I had a crystal ball....I think it would show a toy hauler in my future sometime between now and retirement.

22-Jul-18
Buy a wall tent from the Wall Tent Shop (free shipping) and tarp it. Put a floor in it and an Outfitter model cylinder stove. Boom done. No towing. Super comfortable and very versatile.

• Sitka Gear