DonVathome 03-May-22
JG 03-May-22
DonVathome 03-May-22
JG 03-May-22
llamapacker 04-May-22
DonVathome 04-May-22
BULELK1 04-May-22
03-May-22
I drew again and plan to hun the NER. That said they may not be there so I need a backup plan. Anyone have info about where to hunt cow bison other then the NER? I hunted the NER for elk many times and cow bison once 7 years ago so I am familiar with that area. I am only lookin for intel on other places to find cow bison.

03-May-22
I've got no bison intel but I hope you post your hunt experience.

03-May-22
Shadow Mt. and Spread Creek.

Good luck!

03-May-22
Curious. I applied through Cabelas tags for a bison WY bull tag

I just asked Cabelas and they said it will be 5-6 weeks before draw results are posted

Are cows and bulls different draws?

03-May-22
All results out today fyi check WY website. Bull tags are tough to draw

03-May-22
wytex, noted thanks!

03-May-22
Looks like 100 bull tags 1100 applicants

Doing this through Cabelas I have no idea if I drew. Need to wait to hear from them

03-May-22
JG those are resident odds. NR 482 apps for 25 tags. Actually that is 5%, much better then I expected.

03-May-22
No luck. Drew a blank

04-May-22
You should request the breakdown of the cow harvest by month, which is something WGFD publishes each year. If memory serves, I don't believe a single cow bison was taken off the refuge in the last couple years. Bulls - definitely. But it was either zero or next to zero when I last looked. It makes gambling on the refuge your only option, if the bison herds never leave the park for huntable areas before they move onto the refuge. Lone bulls wander and are shot each year on the national forest. Cows have behaved differently... Bill

04-May-22
I printed it yesterday Bill! Last few years success on cows has been around 40%. I do know bulls are different and on the refuge often. 2020 had 24 cows taken all in January - 22 on NER. Not sure about 2021. I plan to apply for the last hunt in Dec and see what happens. Likely I will just head to Jackson midweek late in January. I have heard mid week is not as busy and easier to get on the refuge. Hopefully lodging is also a little cheaper vs. a weekend.

04-May-22

BULELK1's Link
wytex gave you dang good advice.

Early might be better than later in those areas though.

Once the snow hits and then thaws and freezes those roads in the switchbacks and shadows are glare ice and steep. Just an FYI.

This thread I did, has some of the area's wytex mentioned. See my link.

Enjoy,

Robb

• Sitka Gear