MichaelArnette 26-Aug-19
RogBow 26-Aug-19
brewski 28-Aug-19
KsRancher 28-Aug-19
KsRancher 28-Aug-19
txhunter58 28-Aug-19
Hank_S 28-Aug-19
14-Jul-19
I am sending out a personal plea to folks sending email, text, and social media posts bragging about 100+ yard archery kills. One of the main culprits posts here. It's hard to argue against a shorter proposed archery season when a wildlife commissioner forwards a post with this on it.

It is embarassing to be confronted with this and it was suggested to police your own ranks. Not to mention a lack of hunting/woodsmanship skills if this long of a bowshot is taken.

If it continues I will post a name on public forums.

Please use some common sense on your posts and your shots.

14-Jul-19
So what did the (Colorado?) Wildlife Commissioner actual say? An answer to the Commissioner might be that a year or so, on the very site, a post was added that asked about the average shot distance when shooting at elk. If I remember correctly, it was less than 35 yards. My longest kill shot (eleven elk) has been 36 yards and the closest, 15 yards which I believe after being on the Bow site for the past 20 plus years is about average for most.

No doubt there were be a few "braggers" who will post that they killed an animal at 90-100 yards, (which is possible), but that is FAR from the average.

I agree, bow hunting is and should be a short range shooting sport and that "bragging" about long kill shots, is not good. But then read and see some of the Fred Bear adventured to the Arctic and to Africa, when they took 60 to 100 yards shots with their recurves. Ethical then but maybe not today??? Watch a few Outdoor shows where shots at mule deer, pronghorn and sometimes elk and beyond 50 yards and out to 100 some times.

I also agree, common sense needs to be used when posting. my best, Paul

14-Jul-19
Yes Colorado. It was relayed that public perception will be affected that a bow is no longer a short ranged weapon and that they receive more comments from general public (probably anti's) then sportsmen. And we need to police our own ranks to curb this "behavior" It appears the photo and text was a text message that was floated around.

Fred Bear didn't have to deal with the politics and animal rights factions of today. We're under a microscope.

14-Jul-19
Just a BS excuse for that commissioner to justify shafting bowhunters, and not doing their due diligence in learning about the reality of archery.

While there are a few people that brag, most archers are not even capable of 100+ yard accuracy, and most will not take those kinds of shots...

If I were you I’d make the commissioners name public and call him or her out on their BS rather than come on here acting like this is some regular occurrence that we need to police...

14-Jul-19
You have no issue posting what your write, the comments you receive so why not post it up? My guess, , Comissioner Bray. Dude is bent on keeping bowhunters in the closet.

Since you’re always quick with emails, send him a photo back with 1000 yd shots on elk with rifles.

To make it clear, I’m a very close range archer. Sub 20 yds on 95% of animals taken. The other 5% are sub 30.

I can’t stand hearing about long shots either, but this is nothing more than a slam on archers. It’s very clear to me where hunting in Colorado is going. Now, the people who are supposed to protect it, welcome it, are against us. From the governor down, we are hosed.

14-Jul-19
Tell us who it was. Or a CORA request can always be done.

Nothing pisses off a govt agency more than an Open Records Request.

14-Jul-19
Or maybe he is pissed at all the recent emails he got.

14-Jul-19
"It was relayed that public perception will be affected that a bow is no longer a short ranged weapon and that they receive more comments from general public (probably anti's) then sportsmen."

Ah yes, an unsubstantiated 'perception' support by an unsubstantiated 'fact', you gotta love it when critical thinkers drive public policy...

14-Jul-19
It wasn't Bray, but a commisioner that is a sportsmen's rep. Never a good thing.

14-Jul-19
That has been a perception within CPW for a long time. Not just commissioners but employees who are involved in everyday operations at CPW. Not a single incident problem but a continuing flow of this type of incident.

Not just Bowhunters but equipment manufacturers whose goal is to sell and upsell every customer and potential customer. They may not be on the long range bandwagon but the gadgets speak to making bowhunting easy peasy.

Ml has the same problem only there the long range shot is the primary selling point.

All this flys in the face of the original justification for special seasons. The irony is hard not to notice.

14-Jul-19
We can be out worst enemy. I won’t hunt with or in anyway support people that think bows are anything more than a 40 yard more or less weapon. Those extreme range shots create more marginal hits, and feed the anti propaganda machine.

14-Jul-19
It’s no secret that there are a bunch of rifle hunters out there that don’t like the extended archery season in the rut. What are the chances this guy rifle hunts and doesn’t bow hunt? Sounds pretty good.

What is a sportsman’s rep? Is he representing sportsman’s? If so, let’s hear who it was Stix because he sure isn’t supporting us!

14-Jul-19

Billincamo's Link
I work in a bow shop and cringe when I hear people bragging about making ultra long shots. Being accurate at 100 yards does not make it OK to actually shoot at live game at a 100 yards. At that range to many variables exist to chance such a shot, wind, animal moving while the arrow is in flight, loss of kinetic energy (penetration), etc.... but to say 40 yards is a bows maximum range is just as cringe worthy. It's not about the weapon but is about the archer's skill level or lack of that determines your maximum range. There are archers that should not take shots over 20 yards. I will agree that bragging about 100 yard shots regardless of your skill level is a very poor decision that will never help our cause. I am more then capable of dropping arrows in a target at 100 yards but would never chance that shot on a living animal. The closer I get the more the adrenalin flows and that is why I hunt with a bow.

14-Jul-19
A shorter season has zero relation to distance at which archers take shots......beyond immature vindictive pettiness.

14-Jul-19
I've never understood why someone would "brag" about being a lousy hunter. I once had a guy tell me he just made a 500 yard shot with his rifle. I didn't want to rain on his parade, but I was thinking, "What kind of @$$#*!& brags about not being able to get closer than 500 yards, and then starts throwing lead at a live animal?". You may think you're impressing someone. You're not!

14-Jul-19
Shorter season? Would archers take longer shots more often?

14-Jul-19
I often wonder what it’s like to sit on the right hand of God and judge others. I see some are comfortable with it.

15-Jul-19
Exactly what Surfbow and Hoot stated.

15-Jul-19
I cant believe I missed, he was at 80... I like to have them close, within 80, but I have pins to 120... phhhht! 80 is a gimme shot these days with my bow... 3 hunters I met last year when I struck up a conversation I think there is solid reason for concern, and not a damn thing to be done about it without equipment law changes, which are not about to be accepted in today's climate.

15-Jul-19
Take away range finders so hunters have to limit their shot distance to what THEY can judge.

15-Jul-19
Cnelk, I agree with the spirit of what you are saying but Also apply it to those in a position to make decisions that affect us and how we hunt.

15-Jul-19
Taking away range finders won't help. They will guess the yardage and fling arrows with hopes that one will find it's mark. You can't fix stupid and you can't give someone ethics.

15-Jul-19
There are several people on bowsite that can shoot 100 yrds really good but we choose not at a animal of the 41 elk I've shot average shot is 27 yrds

16-Jul-19
I can shoot pretty darn good at 100. But I only Do that for practice and fun

I like to get close for the real thing!

16-Jul-19
We should all be proficient at 100 for emergency purposes.

16-Jul-19
Hard to win. Bowhunters being too accurate/proficient and bowhunters being inaccurate/inefficient are opposite of each other but both in the top image issues for bowhunters.

Ironic

16-Jul-19
I am proficient at 100........feet.........

16-Jul-19
75 feet my top end.

01-Aug-19
Hey Stix. Out of curiosity, What is the "acceptable" yardage?

02-Aug-19
The range someone shoots at is determined by their own ability, and their ethical responsibility to assure a quick kill and under the concept of fair chase.

But what is not determined by their own ability is generous seasons for archery. Those seasons are determined by decision makers with understanding that archery equipment is a short range method that requires a longer season in order to achieve the possibility of success (also under the concept of fair chase).

Be careful how you portray archery hunting. It may have an effect on the decision makers.

02-Aug-19
I agree wit Stix about how we portray ourselves to the public and potential decision makers. Especially in the world we live in today; anti's attempting to take our rights away and social media being what it is, those two don't mix... But I will also say this.. I often practice at long distances, 80-90-100.. but would I take a shot on an animal at that distance.. not likely.. too many variables.... But I practice at those distances b/c it helps with my steadiness, etc.. and then at 30-40-50-60 its a chip shot.. when I go to the range to practice, my warm up round is always at 70 yards. then I step down to the lower yardages.. this for me tightens up my groups when I warm up and a longer distance.... Again, would I take a shot on an animal at 100 yards, NO!.. But if someone else does, its not my place to judge and that's their business, I'd just ask to keep that to yourself b/c it doesn't help our cause.

02-Aug-19
Sorry, but this is a really dumb discussion. Let's face it, all bowhunters could be the most saintly ethical sportsmen known to god and man, and still it will not change a thing on CPW policy. Those out of state rifle hunter $$$ is where it's at, yes! That's a big, fat, out of shape, but wealthy demographic. Bowhunters can fight over the scraps. It's funny in a way because we get doubly screwed... too much rifle hunting affects bow long and short term. Wait till they bring in crossguns behind your back.

02-Aug-19
I'll also add that famous bowhunters of the past took 50-60 yard shots with barebow longbows and recurves, but they didn't a large animal rights and do gooder elements of society to deal with.

02-Aug-19
They didn't "harvest" deer either, did they?

11-Aug-19
My son and I practiced out to 80 yards and I have to say that we couldn't always put an arrow in the size of a paper plate. Never took a long shot like that. Most are between 5 and 30 yards but I did kill an elk at 64 yards once. Some people are very steady with their bows which helps at longer shots. But, I agree that 100 yards is just plain lucky at that.

11-Aug-19
I shoot a longbow, 40 is my 80.

12-Aug-19
100 yard compound killers hate crossbows because theyre not sporting. Excuse me xguns

13-Aug-19
My sentiments are above, but come on, shooting a crossbow at 100 yards and a compound at 100 yards are too entirely different things...

13-Aug-19
With my compound I practice out to 120 but that’s for the fun of it and also if I have an opportunity to end it sooner for an already hit animal at an extended range I will, not a first shot though.

26-Aug-19
It’s not the 100 yard shot with a compound bow that are causing the issue, nor is it the 1000 yard shots with rifle.

It’s the majority of compound shooters who are very efficient at 50-70 yards and the average rifle hunter who is good to 600.

That and mismanagement of predator control (read this as no spring bear season) and the influx of people buying otc tags both resident and non-resident.

People want to use their high end equipment and they will continue to do so therefore the only real fix is to limit otc tag numbers for either nonresidents or also residents and increase the number of bear tags available.

Can anyone tell me why fall bear tags are capped but elk tags or not?!! That’s craziness

Oh and let’s just hope colorado doesn’t get wolves because that will be a very very sad day for moose and also elk

26-Aug-19
Anyone who can make a coldbore lethal shot at 600 is well beyond average. Anyone who can stack broadheads at 60 is a great shot that probably knows how to tune.

28-Aug-19
Someone who chooses to shoot at any animal at 100 yrds with a bow gets 0 respect unless his shot comes with a written guarantee from the animal that the animal promises not to flinch, and the wind promises not to change. How many 100 yd shooters will ever own up to the animal that they wounded because of a long distance shot? No one I've ever talked to.

28-Aug-19
Any person that shoots at an animal at 20yds get no respect from me unless the shot comes with a written guarantee that he wont hit a branch or anything else that happens when someone shoots an animal at 20yds.

28-Aug-19
Stuff has and always will happen at all ranges. Shoot what you feel comfortable with and have fun doing it.

28-Aug-19
KS: the odds of problems on a 100 yard shot vs a 20 yard shot are astronomically greater, even for the best of us. You have to draw the line ethically somewhere. For 99% of us, that is well short of 100 yards

28-Aug-19
txhunter58...Bingo!!!

• Sitka Gear