MA-PAdeerslayer 09-Feb-23
ARLOW 10-Feb-23
Deerdawg 10-Feb-23
Tinknocker 10-Feb-23
Tinknocker 10-Feb-23
18-Jan-23
Well this totally SUCKS

18-Jan-23
And lower back. Mostly the back… but f**k, this is for the birds.

18-Jan-23
Welcome to the club. Painful member for yyyeeaaarrs

18-Jan-23
Sucks lunk. I’ve always had low back issues since football cuz my hip rotates forward and screws me up. But his is a whole nother level.

18-Jan-23
Sorry man, that sucks. I am a real believer in yoga. I know it's probably not something most hunters are into, but I think it helps my body function better and keeps away aches and pains. When I get out of the practice, especially in the summer when work is crazy, my back inevitably starts to hurt and almost miraculously goes away after starting yoga again.

18-Jan-23
Ruptured a disc when I was 21. Was an idiot and did nothing about it for just over two months until it pinched the nerve running down my right leg. The pain was awful. Finally went to the dr and he also called me an idiot for not coming in sooner. Ended up having to get a laminectomy and was out of work for months. My point is, go see a dr. He said if I came in earlier I could’ve possibly avoided surgery and fixed it through some cortisone shots and physical therapy. In the mean time, go to a walk in clinic and demand a shot of Toridol. You’ll thank me later;)

18-Jan-23
Very sorry to hear it ; I know the feeling.

18-Jan-23
Ya grow a foot taller. Just dig up !

18-Jan-23
Thanks for the input guys. Went to the DR today Rut. X-rays tomorrow morning before she’ll give me the shot. That’s what I went in asking for. Definately have to start stretching more and taking more time to do it. It was all in my plan to get back into the gym…but this started last week and derailed me.

18-Jan-23
I had the same thing about 6 years ago the nerve in my leg got so bad I could hardly walk saw the doc and had dissectemy done but lower back still junk you have to learn to live with it I can’t sleep in bed for more the 6 hrs or my back hurts like hell your wirds it sucks

18-Jan-23
Ya I live with the pain from the football injury every day capt. But this one I can’t walk. Can’t stay like this forever. My kids will have to get paper routes for groceries if that happens hahaaha

18-Jan-23
Rub some dirt on it and get back in the game.

18-Jan-23
I'm down prob twice a year for a week. 75 % of the rest of the time I have a limp and painful pain.

18-Jan-23
Right now rest is what you need. Enjoy it if you can. Don’t over do it and hope you have a speedy recovery

18-Jan-23
Rut I’ve been couch bound all day. Heating pad and cooling pack. Tylenol and ibuprofen. That is NOT me. I’m going nuts. Already debating if I could go back to work Friday. But I’m probably best to wait until Monday. That gives me the whole weekend to continue resting.

18-Jan-23
Go easy. I feel your pain. I've had back surgery and shoulder surgery. Work hard, play hard...then pay the price. You'll learn to adjust and moderate, just takes time. Hang in there.

18-Jan-23
Dont take the shot. Dont open that can of worms. Get an MRI first then start doing physical therapy. Do whatever you can to get an MRI as soon as possible so you arent guessing and chasing the wrong problems. I herniated a disc in July of this year racing my dirtbike. I couldnt walk for 3 days. It was the worse pain ive ever experienced in my life. I laid on the floor for hours and waited for my wife to get home. I had to use crutches just to get from the bed to the bathroom for a couple days. Went to my doctor, started PT, eventually got an MRI and found out I had (still have) a herniated disc in my L5-S1 and a bulging disc in my L4-L5. PT and yoga for the past 4 months and I just got back on my dirtbike 2 days ago. I still got about 6 months of at home PT ahead of me but I was able to avoid surgery, meds, and the shot. I was advised by a lot of people to do everything you possibly can to avoid getting the shot and avoid surgery. The shot doesnt fix a thing, it just eases the pain and wont aid in healing. Your body will feel like everything is getting better and it wont have the opportunity to heal properly. Once you open that can of worms, you cant close it. Suck it up and deal with the pain and get rid of it the natural way. Thats the only way youll eventually get back to normal and avoid having compounding issues. This will change your lifestyle but in many ways for the better. I drink a ton of water now, have good posture, have a standing desk for work, do yoga every week, etc. Send me a PM if you want and we can chat on the phone. This has taken over my whole life for the past 6 months now and ive learned alot along the way. The good news is that you WILL get better! I honestly think by this summer i will be better off than before this happened. You will get there too.

18-Jan-23
Had the shoulder to BC. Wish I never did. Hurt about the same before as now. But motion etc is way worse now.. and that’s with therapy like I was suppose to.

18-Jan-23
PM sent Dan.

18-Jan-23
PM sent Dan.

19-Jan-23
I'm in the PT camp also for treatment. Could just barely walk 15' when it happend to me. Aweful pain for weeks.. I was moving my trailered boat out then back in the garage by myself, dumbass! Good pt with decompression got me out of it. Still takes a LONG time.

19-Jan-23

Big Dog's Link
Good treatment is the result of a correct diagnosis. I guess that's what some of the guys here are saying. The brain responds to severe uncontrolled pain by sending an excessive amount of inflammatory components to the affected site and, with a back problem, muscles go into spasm to try to protect (brace) the affected site . It is quite complicated . Every past sufferer has his/her own "war story" and advice to go with it. Some of the info is very useful but there's always an inherent danger in playing doctor.

19-Jan-23
I feel for you, someone that has never had back issues doesn't know how much pain it can be. I've had disc fusion in my upper back now I've been dealing with lower back problems. Chiropractor has worked for me to get it back in place then alot of ice and heat to take care of the muscles swelling. I have to admit like others when i do my stretching and back excercise it makes a world of difference but alot of the time i get lax on doing it.

19-Jan-23
Feel for ya Ma Pa ! Just finished stretching sesion at the office, it does gets you pain relief. I 'm with u BB22 PT, Exercise is the way to go. I find this time of year to be the most difficult, inactivity, weight gain, loss of muscle tone all enable my sciatica to control my life. I have been hurting for the last few weeks with back, hip, and leg, pain. It comes down to how do you manage your pain. Drugs and shots can get you short term results but as stated the problem does not go away. If you don't want to get hooked on pain meds then PT, Message, Yoga, Acupuncture are all methods to manage pain, I have a few VA friends that tell me thats what the VA is pushin now, less drugs. I'm going this afternoon to get my PT sessions back up. Its got to become part of your every day weekly exercise regiment. I does work i've been through it before. It cripples you if you let it. The pain will wear you down, dont let it!

19-Jan-23
That sucks, been there, still feel a slight dull pain every day just to remind me I guess. But I had a disc out of whack and was the worst pain I’ve felt in my life. I’d avoid the shot too. Keep moving, stretching, ibuprofen to get any swelling down and definitely the PT route first. Yoga works wonders too.

19-Jan-23
Sorry buddy. Not much worse than back pain especially in our job. Hopefully you feel some relief very soon.

19-Jan-23
Mapa I see your already setting up your excuse to why I beat you at TAC

19-Jan-23
Nick you spelt Sitka wrong.

19-Jan-23
Toradol is just a more powerful form of ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve. They’re all NSAID’s.

19-Jan-23
Backs are tricky , if your Dr will give you some muscle relaxers it will help. You just need to relieve the tightness and you will start to heal.good luck

19-Jan-23
From someone who has suffered from back pain over 20 years, I feel your pain, it sucks. I have been through PT and surgery. Feel free to PM me for more info.

19-Jan-23
Go to your local book store and buy this book, or order it: https://www.amazon.com/Back-Mechanic-Stuart-McGill-2015-09-30/dp/B01FKSGJYC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2OS2PH7JQR0L1&keywords=stuart+mcgill&qid=1674146705&sprefix=stuart+mcgill%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-2

Also, go see Mike or Jacki at Central Mass PT in West Boylston - it's right off the 190/route 12 exit almost to Worcester. Best in the business. They are good in person, but will also give homework so you dont have to schlep down there for weeks...

Sciatica sucks.

19-Jan-23
Bowbob said it best. If you've never experienced this type of pain you don't know how debilitating it can be.

19-Jan-23
BD - you nailed it. Everyone thinks, "no big deal, suck it up, you are fine," until they deal with back pain, be it sciatica or other. It's debilitating. Active, healthy, fit, 27-year-old at 10 AM, unable to stand vertically nor pick a newspaper up off a chair at 10:30, debilitating.

19-Jan-23
2 things I am very mindful of proper form as have hurt myself many times during these acts. First : taking or putting my socks on or off. Second : sex on the couch

19-Jan-23
Lmfao lunker.

19-Jan-23
And both times you were by yourself Lunk haha

19-Jan-23
As a young man I once encountered an old man (or he seemed old to me) wearing an ankle brace. He told me that he’d injured himself stepping on an acorn. Then, I thought that was ridiculous. Now, it seems much more believable.

19-Jan-23
No it's all about the posture baby.

19-Jan-23
Bj that last statement was for you. Auto correct.

20-Jan-23
Lol I figured haha

20-Jan-23
Will, or they'll say, "don't be such a baby". Both my wife and I have lived it and all the various treatments too. The accompanying anxiety just sensitizes you and only prolongs the muscle spasm. It takes time and when it's better the muscles supporting the vertebral column and the abs must be strengthened to prevent recurrence . Stretching and workouts must become part of one's lifestyle (all of which you know).

20-Jan-23
Nick I have had it off and on over the years. The thing that helps the most is reinitializing the curvature in the lower spine. There is a natural curve that is supposed to be in your lower spine and what often happens is it flattens out and it starts to pinch the sciatic nerve where it exits from the spinal column. What starts as a dull ache just above your ass then radiates into your hip, down the outside of your leg, across your thigh to the inner side of your knee.

What you do a few times a day is lay on your stomach and basically do a push up as far as you can while keeping your hips in contact with the floor. Hold that posture for several minutes each rep. This helps re establish that curvature in the lower spine and releases the pressure on the nerve.

Good luck!

20-Jan-23
Thanks for the tip Rob!

20-Jan-23
Arlow, yep, McKenzie position / exercises can help... That said, if you are actively in pain MAPA, be cautious, because if your issue is exacerbated with a posterior v anterior disc bulge the sharp anterior angle experienced doing McKenzie exercises/positions can worsen things.

They are great, most of the time. Just EASE into it... Or better, get an apt at the PT I told you to go see and verify what's going on, then try it.

21-Jan-23
Try a message therapy. I have 100% debilitating back pain and my messages every two weeks keep me pain free. The longer you live with it the more work it's going to take to get those muscles and tendons back where they should be. Good luck, Let's Go

09-Feb-23
How you doing now MAPA? Sounds like better having put in 14 hour days during the Arctic Front…..

09-Feb-23
Arlow you know what i'm feeling. After 3 weeks of piriformis , pinching sciatica issue, i think i would rather a few broken ribs. At least they would heal and go away. I've been committed to exercise, stretching, massage , Heat and cold compresses it is starting to feel better but far from gone. Lets Go those massages i bet really help, got to get that in the works next. I have knots on my knots. I've never had pain effect me before like this, you can lose your motivation quick, it is debilitating. I'm caught in between my primary care dr being changed so i went to a outpatient clinic, got 5 days of preginzone, feft great for a week then it came right back. Throw in a stiff neck and i've been a wreck. I am now starting to see some improvement, so now is the time to heal myself up.

09-Feb-23
Much better bat, still have sore days but that’s just the back. Gotta deal with that. Ya the cold killed us. It as aweful. Hate when it gets like that.

10-Feb-23
God to hear you are feeling better Nick!

Larry hope your pain resoves itself soon! When it is bad it really sucks!

10-Feb-23
Thanks Arlow , Reading up on it, adding new stretches every day. Think i have to ice more than heat and work on Anti inflammatory regiment. Finally got appt with Dr. next week.

10-Feb-23

Tinknocker's Link
Grounding has helped me watch this documentary hopefully you’ll all have positive results. https://youtu.be/cRW0XO2xWn4

10-Feb-23

Tinknocker's Link
Grounding has helped me watch this documentary hopefully you’ll all have positive results. https://youtu.be/cRW0XO2xWn4

• Sitka Gear