Zim 16-Dec-23
Bentstick81 16-Dec-23
Bentstick81 16-Dec-23
LBshooter 19-Dec-23
il.BowHunter 08-Jan-24
Franzen 14-Jan-24
il.BowHunter 23-Jan-24
24-Nov-23
2022 had the lowest number of deer vehicle accidents in 33 years. Have to go back to 1990 when there were less deer than there is right now in IL.

25-Nov-23
Our population in southeast Illinois is pretty healthy. Saw a normal number during bow season. That said, I don’t see many dead along the road or live deer crossing the road.

25-Nov-23
I hunt Wabash County and I saw a LOT fewer deer, does and bucks, this year. I blame part of this on a difference in available food sources and partially on a warm hunting season. A dry fall allowed farmers to till their fields and bury the spilled grain etc. making deer look else where .

26-Nov-23
In my neck of the woods it's CWD seasons and late season for does. You are right very few road kills. The DNR about 20 yrs ago told us they were going to base permits by road kills to population. I feel the program has been dropped and state is just looking for money. I just bow hunt so for me to hunt with a bow for shotgun season i spend another 27 bucks. Total BS. I have hunted the same area for 30 yrs plus. The last 10-15 yrs the population is on a big decline. I use cameras and they can't lie. The deer are not there. I my opinion the farm bureau or the insurance company have a big say.

27-Nov-23
I've been saying the deer population is dropping for a few years now. It will continue to get worse. Cross guns for all during archery season, and now rifles during gun seasons. No doubt.

27-Nov-23
If you believe as I do that the dva numbers are a pretty good way for the state to track population numbers/trends then this info should be pretty alarming. It takes hunters (like a couple of the posts on here) subjective view on things and gives an objective picture of the herd. We can’t go by one Hunter to the next saying “I saw quite a few deer” or “I’m not seeing much”. Has to be more scientific than that and it always frustrates me when hunters kinda shrug this data off. I mean let it sink in for a minute, that there is less deer than there’s been in 33 years! We have to stop killing or greatly reduce the number of does we kill if we desire the herd to look anything remotely close to what it did in the mid 2000s when it was world class. Unfortunately it seems as though most hunters aren’t aware of this information, and worse yet when made aware don’t seem to realize the severity of it.

27-Nov-23
I can't speak for the herd in Central or Southern parts of the state, but there's definitely less in the NE part. The CWD boogie man, countless sharpshooting by the DNR on public and private properties, and endless antlerless permits are taking there toll, I guess that it's just the harsh reality that we all face now

27-Nov-23
I can remember so called hunters bragging on killing 30 to 50 deer a season with unlimited doe tags. Now its geez where'd the deer go? Only makes sense leave no seed stock herds gonna take awhile to grow back.

27-Nov-23
Will county is getting torched by the DNR, culling and knocking the hell out of the herd. It's sad how bad the hunting has gotten over the last 4/5 years. Using CWD as the excuse but I think the real monster the insurance companies. It's BS and tour lucky to see a deer let alone 2 at a time. Will have to find new grounds for next year, it's just bad.

28-Nov-23
I agree that the insurance companies have a say in the deer herd but in Marion County the herd stable. I have no complaints.

28-Nov-23
I've bowhunted Will county since 1980 the collapse has been unreal. Medewin you'd see 5 to 10 deer on every sit maybe a coyote/ coydog than it was no small game occasionally a turkey hardly any deer alot of coyotes. Haven't killed a doe in this state since 96 . It's a real shame how what was great public hunting declined. I do a majority of my hunting out of state now. Still buy an archery tag and go out I know they are out there just not the numbers as in the past. But hell that's why it's called hunting and not killing. Just my opinion rant.

28-Nov-23
The sharp shooting did a real number on the main property I hunted last year. I was talking to someone this fall and he said they killed 300 deer during the spring there. I can tell a difference this year for sure. I quit hunting there entirely and went in blind on another property during the rut. I see a big difference in CWD/non-cwd counties. I won’t be getting any deer tested, I can tell you that much. And I’ll probably keep spending the extra hour in the car to actually see deer.

29-Nov-23
The OP brought up the same issue a couple years ago. Opinion based on one set of numbers with too many variables is just that, opinion. This morning I drove 11 miles to town and saw 18 deer in that distance. I’ve got stands that I’ll see 10-20 deer out of in the morning and luck to see one in the evening. Crop rotation along a highway will affect deer, so will time of harvest.

Do I believe numbers are down from the ‘80s and ‘90s, yes. Is the Illinois deer herd being decimated, hardly. In this area, farmers are wanting deer/does shot because of the amount of crop damage. We welcome guys to hunt our farm and take a doe or two. Problem is, most end up shooting a 2 year old buck.

29-Nov-23
I hunted morning a little over a week & evening for 2 weeks. Not one deer seen while hunting. I know, another OPINION. 8^))) The only disease this state has that truly is making the biggest impact on our herd is the DNR disease. FredBear, just sit back and watch the next few years and your OPINION will still be as spot on as it is now. This IL bowhunting forum harvests threads, is and has been bout exciting as a biden speech. But, the herd is in great shape?? Comical. 8^))))

29-Nov-23
My first question is, what part of the state are you hunting. Public or private? If I’d sat for 2 weeks without a deer sighting, I’d be finding another place to hunt.

All I’m saying is, there’s a lot of factors to consider before deciding whether the herd is “in trouble”. And NO WHERE did I say the herd is in great shape.

29-Nov-23
I realize every county is different because of this and that. Every hunter needs to be smart and do what is right for your county. Myself I have not shot a doe in 15 plus yrs. We need to leave the does go so the herd can grow. It's pretty bad to take your grand kids out 3-4 times and see zip.

29-Nov-23
"It's pretty bad to take your grand kids out 3-4 times and see zip." Exactly REDBEARD. I have only shot two deer in 17 years. Like you, I haven't shot a doe in many years to try and hope to help the herd. I've been bow hunting, i believe this is my 48 or 49 year, and there is no one going to tell me about the deer herd. I know the way it was when I started, and know what is happening now. Paul Shelton lied to me a few years back twice, and three guys went to him with proof of the herd being down with grids showing the proof to that idiot and since they proved just how worthless he is, he said he was going to just leave that county in the late season gun season, just for making him mad. . That's not how you manage a deer herd. I don't trust anything or anyone from the DNR.. Talk about a bunch of so called FACTORS & VARIBLES, Shelton sure did and is a liar. Don't trust a thing that comes from the DNR. I am just thankful we had a legit DNR 30-40 years ago, that couldn't be bought out. We wouldn't have a thing to hunt if they ran it like it is ran today. The DNR hasn't done one thing to help our herd, just destroy it. Cross guns for anyone during archery season, rifles with gun seasons, muzzleloader season, late season, cwd(DNR) season..... You would think someone would want to make a meaningful difference, but it is illinois.

30-Nov-23
Ilbowhunter, what part of the state are you in. I'd be glad to shoot does, I prefer them for the meat. Not a trophy hunter.

30-Nov-23
Clark county

01-Dec-23

REDBEARD's Link
Bentstick81 I think you and myself are on the same page. The whole hunting society has changed. I started hunting in 67 and got a permit every yr. I blame the majority of the deer problem on the DNR but i will take some flack on this one it.s the hunters attitude. This is my opinion. Some hunters don't think long term. getting multitude permits and if it's brown it's down thinking. I'm 72 and glad I seen the hay yrs 90's and early 2000's I just feel very sorry for the younger generations. Everyone needs to look at the over all picture.

01-Dec-23
Redbeard, just remember that the so called dnr, that have otc permits is the same so called dnr that leaves a county open for late season because he was upset that three guys proved, the herd numbers were down, and that he needed to shut that county off of the late season. That showed me that the dnr, & shelton isn't going to manage anything. How do we expect this generation of hunters to be smart out there concerning the herd, when shelton was proving he could care less? Shelton was just a buddy of another fraud brent manning, so it doesn't surprise me in the least. I think it's comical when people also noticed how big the herd was in the late 80's early 90's, and you didn't see all the extra gun seasons, cross guns for all during archery season, etc... I also remember something in the rules for archery that you couldn't have any device that would hold a compound at full draw while hunting, it was an unfair advantage for the hunter, not having to draw on deer. Hmmmm, sounds like cross gun to me. Today's worthless dnr seems to think it's ok now. More permits and $$$$$$$ which proves my point that the dnr is all about dollars, not managing herd like they are suppose to be. And look at the money & retirement they get while not doing what they are suppose to. Never hear on the news how the dnr fights with insurance companies, farm bureau for wanting more deer taken out. It's who you know, not what you know. Just because the dnr makes it legal, doesn't mean it's right. Ok, I'll quit typing about the obvious. 8^))))

01-Dec-23
Bentstick81 at my age I see no light at the end of the tunnel. The young just look for a quick kill. They are missing what hunting is all about. Last yr I tried to get info on the amount of gun permits issued per county. I got zip from the state. I went to most of the CWD meetings in grundy and will. My take is the DNR wants to thin the herds so the deer don't have to spread out because of population. I wish hunters would join together to go against the DNR.

02-Dec-23
"I got zip from the state". Doesn't surprise me at all. shelton told me that the dnr goes by the reports of hunters survey's. I told him that i have never got one of the surveys in 40 some years. After my $10.00 phone bill to him, i get a survey in a couple days and the next year. None ever since. Phony as the day is long. (B.S. meter: HIGH) 8^) Corruption runs deep in a blue state. You've got to really wonder what is actually going on here. I have my on theory, but it would take quite a bit of space. I think this thinning of our herd with all the gun seasons, wolves, mountain lions, (heard both is on the protected species list, if so, WHY), bob cats etc... could it be trying to disinterest hunting when the deer population gets really low? Could it be trying to bring in cross guns for all during archery season, to hopefully get gun hunters to go cross gun route? Cull out 500 deer saying due to cwd, and only two deer have it, helping destroy the herd? Allow inline muzzleloader guns instead of using the true smoke pole to help succeed in lowering the herd? Get deer tested for cwd after harvesting. How do we know the TRUE/ HONEST outcome of that test? There's a bunch more examples, but the one thing that all these points to is, the cats , wolves, & coyotes will play a big part in taking of rabbits, quail, pheasants, geese, deer. Try to get the wildlife depleted to disinterest hunting, all these things used to help try and take away our guns???? This younger generation is being brainwashed at a young age so we already know which way they will swing. Just a thought because of what i see happening and the lies & B.S. the dnr has tried to feed me, and is doing to the states wildlife.

02-Dec-23
One thing good about the dnr is the Conservation Police. These guys are top notch guys. I know a couple of them and I respect what they do. They have a lot of area to cover and they do it well. Thanks to all Conservation Police.

02-Dec-23
So now DNR uses wolves and cougars to control the deer population?

02-Dec-23
As usual, missed it by a mile

02-Dec-23
I think this thinning of our herd with all the gun seasons, wolves, mountain lions, (heard both is on the protected species list, if so, WHY), bob cats etc...

What was the miss?

02-Dec-23
Bentstick81 I also agree the game wardens are doing a fine job. This is my WISH LIST. I just wish they would add more wardens. Start up the check stations again. In the old days they were maned by college kids. Charge 5 bucks per check in...So 54000 check ins times 5 = 27000O bucks. AT 15 bucks a hr ...3 guys....3 days...12 hrs = 1620...times 100 counties = 162000 bucks. So the state would make money. I know there's hidden costs. The reason is just to keep the honest guy honest. Next cut the amount of doe tags. You need does to maintain the herd. Last I wish for the most is that some hunters realize the kill its not everything.

02-Dec-23
"I just wish they would add more wardens. Start up the check stations again." I agree. But remember, the dnr in the good ol days actually cared about our herd and other wildlife. I miss those days.

03-Dec-23
I agree with the check stations. Keeps people honest and get better information about the herd. Here’s another I’ll throw out. Limit doe tags to two, just like bucks and doe season end 11/30. We all know that any doe you shoot after that is probably pregnant. No more 2 for 1 kills.

04-Dec-23
I like check stations and they still to do it JoDavies during gun season in name of cwd testing. But…you want to charge hunters per deer checked in? Hell No that's a terrible idea just another form of tax for Illinois. That would make guys not check in just to protest governmental tax. They are making plenty of money by jacking up license and tag prices every year. Habitat stamp is just another BS tax that’s misspent so is FOID card. Ridiculous amount of taxes in this state.

04-Dec-23

04-Dec-23
Well I figured I would get called on the 5 bucks. I think every county has a percentage of deer that is never called in. To me 5 bucks is a cheap price to keep them honest. I do agree with your comments on license prices and the FOID card is total BS.

09-Dec-23
ILBowhntr….i make a similar post every year bc it’s not getting better. But on your point about me using one set of a data w variables is just my opinion…..how do you figure? I’m using both DVAs and harvest figures for a 30 year stretch. I’d say there’s not much opinion at all and that it’s very objective. If you have data that suggests otherwise I’d love to see it because you’ve offered no stats (just your opinion)

09-Dec-23
ILBowhntr….i make a similar post every year bc it’s not getting better. But on your point about me using one set of a data w variables is just my opinion…..how do you figure? I’m using both DVAs and harvest figures for a 30 year stretch. I’d say there’s not much opinion at all and that it’s very objective. If you have data that suggests otherwise I’d love to see it because you’ve offered no stats (just your opinion)

10-Dec-23
My point exactly! I don’t have access to all the relevant data. Do you? Guessing not, because you just regurgitate numbers that anyone can find on the internet.

11-Dec-23
"I'm using both DVA's and harvest figures for a 30 year stretch". Looks like FredBear done his homework and is using relevant data to me. Good job. DVA & 30 year harvest numbers would be very RELEVANT DATA. Getting the dnr to turn away from the money and make the PROPER CHANGES in permits, weapons, and seasons are the REAL ISSUE. It's a sad thing to allow people, to lead you by your nose, just for a paycheck. But when people receive money under the table, like our dnr, DATA, of any kind, doesn't even get looked at, and therefore doesn't matter. I just wish that the dnr would look at it even if it was written on a sidewalk with chalk. They would just say that the color of chalk, it was written with, isn't a relevant color & bought off the internet. Which goes back to why would anyone bash someone for what the DVA & 30 year harvest DATA shows? They train their employees well. It is illinois. FredBear, keep up the good work.

11-Dec-23
Lol. You Yankees are silly. Illinois may be on the decline may be y’all need to learn how to hunt? I hunted Illinois 2 years straight and could not find a free to climb that I didn’t see deer. Shot a nice buck both years could have killed a trailer load of does passed several bucks. I hunted public land only and maybe one week of the season I saw other people and they were from Georgia. The locals won’t leave the field edges just ladder stand camera, ladder stand camera maybe a climber camera pop up blind camera, all the way around the bean fields lol. You think the deer don’t notice that? I’m in the woods watching herds of deer that they never see cause the deer wait till dark to go in the fields. But the deer really don’t have to wait till dark cause everyone clears out of the area an hour before dark. I don’t know if y’all are scarred of the dark or don’t know when deer are most active? You want to see low populations and pressured deer? Try Louisiana and then let me know about low deer numbers.

Even shotgun hunters. I drove to the WMA to check on any big deer killed and first day few cars, Saturday full parking lot,Sunday everyone gone by 9am no one hunted pm? Read the sign in sheet maybe 5 deer killed in 3 days? Everyone is hunting Uncle Bobs 40 acre dirt farm lol.

Anyway never mind me y’all keep on keeping on and stay outta them woods they scary and besides there’s no deer only ticks lol

12-Dec-23
I'm not gonna even gonna start.

12-Dec-23
Hillstyle, With that story, you didn't work at our dnr, did you? 8^)))). You need to stay down there and kill some of them armadillos down there. Maybe they are too small for you to hit, maybe??? So you come up here and shoot our HERDS OF DEER, (let me get my hip waders on with that statement), because they are bigger and easier to hit, maybe??? Just kidding. The wife & I went down to West Monroe to see the Duck Dynasty boys a couple- three years ago. When we got back home, the next morning, found a dead armadillo that got hit by a vehicle bout 1/8th mile from our house. We must have brought it back with us, i guess. Need to thin them HERDS OF ARMADILLOS down there. 8^))))

16-Dec-23
Bentstick, The DNR had absolutely nothing to do with crossgun inclusion. That was the direct result of corrupt politician Jerry Costello & Ravin under the table $$$. That’s who manages the deer here. They send the same three lobbyists to Iowa every year trying to crack that egg. That’s why I joined their IBA, who is the only thing holding them back. So far.

16-Dec-23
Ya. OK! 8^))))

16-Dec-23

19-Dec-23
Hey Zim, any luck at goose on that big boy?

08-Jan-24
This is the first time in many years I posted anything. Just making sure everything is still working.

14-Jan-24
Based on late winter last year and summer sightings, I feel like the population is pretty decent in my area. However, I'm not sure whether there was some die off, or if deer were hanging out elsewhere during season. Deer activity wasn't terrible, but not what I expected.

23-Jan-24
The deer population seems good in alot if areas I am seeing from the roadways. But judging from the roadways is not the best way of doing things. Back in the 1970's and before, it was alot harder harvesting a deer then it is in todays time.

• Sitka Gear